Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 188 total)
  • STOLEN LAST NIGHT – Hinckley – JONES, COTIC, SPECIALIZED
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I'm markfield direction. and have friends in Hinckley. Will put word out. Sorry to hear about this theft. Some people are scum.

Anyone recommend a good ground anchor?

Chainline
    Free Member

The ground anchor I used was an Oxford one. I used an Oxford Harcore XL chain and shackle, it won the RIDE motorbike lock test last year and withstood over 5 mins of attack from everything. They could'nt do the chain or the ground anchor, they took out the U section of the padlock, I am a bit surprised but they could have been at it for ages during the night, they left all the locks etc on the floor. They did the same with the garage padlock. Nothing on there would have worked.

If I ever [can] get another Jones I am going to put a motion alarm in the garage and CCTV on the garage front, inside garage and front/back house. Maplin have deals at the mo on external grade cctv to a hard disk. A small price really considering whats gone. At least we'd have more chance of catching them.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we have the garage alarmed at night and when we are out. linked in to our house alarm. Have a PIR and 2 door sensors. The door sensors also set off a chime if the doors are opened at any time.

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

Chainline, i'm crying with you mate, I just hope that you were insured.

I live in Germany but will keep my eyes and ears open for you anyway.

Chainline
    Free Member

It was my Jones outside 18bikes at the weekend with a swift yes, first big weekend out since I got it, confirmed for me it was the bike for me….b'stards

KINGTUT
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright,

Your name (presumably) and security measures given away on the WWW, you might want to get that post deleted.

Chainline
    Free Member

Can't believe my dogs didn't bark either 😮

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Kingtut – good luck finding my address 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Nice raised beds btw 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ta

fontmoss
    Free Member

thats gutting ill keep my eyes peeled-not many jones spaceframes knocking about

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The ground anchor I used was an Oxford one. I used an Oxford Harcore XL chain and shackle, it won the RIDE motorbike lock test last year and withstood over 5 mins of attack from everything. They could'nt do the chain or the ground anchor, they took out the U section of the padlock, I am a bit surprised but they could have been at it for ages during the night, they left all the locks etc on the floor. They did the same with the garage padlock. Nothing on there would have worked.

Mate, they came knowing EXACTLY what security you had, knowing exactly what you had in the garage, and what it was worth/how long you'd had it
    I hate to say it, but I'm suspecting some sort of inside job….

Chainline
    Free Member

Could be Peter, nothing I can do now. The things they did take vs what they didn't doesn't compute though, take a childs bike? There were parts in there worth more than that they picked up and then ignored!

What is a Jones worth on the open market given their numbers? Stolen to order? Advertising it would be interesting. The front hub is useless on anything else, as is the fork, if you grind the frame and fork numbers off I could still identify it from the frame spec in terms of guide placement if anyone spotted it and reported to the police, andI have photo's and the guy that shipped it to back that up, rack mount bolt diameters, bottle cage mount location etc. So what is it really worth, I would say less than any current mid spec full susser from the big boys.

But you do wonder who your friends are. I lost count of how many 'whats that worth mate' questions I got that I didn't answer and I have never given my address out.

The only others I can think are the likes of FedEx and Customs who know both value and address.

Anyways, still gutted, worked my ass off for it, sold all my other mountain bikes, had it for a few weeks, may never be able to get another 😥

anniison
    Free Member

Really pants to hear about this. Saw on your Mrs facebook the other day. Certainly made us think about security better being up the road!

Hope your kit turns up somewhere.

amodicumofgnar

The pictures dont do it justice the bike justice and that huge front wheel isnt going to slip quietly by anyone unless as peter thinks its an insider knowledge job. Eccentric back theft its not just a crime its an assult on the soul.

I'd never seen one in the flesh before and its definately a head turner. If i wasnt a meant to be elsewhere I would have stopped for a chat – was leaving on the roadrat with rack about the time you arrived.

Chainline
    Free Member

Ah, saw that roadrat, nice.

They left the fat front wheel, it has a "normal" 29er wheel on, albeit with a 135mm fat front Phil Wood hub on a Salsa Gordo rim. It looks very small in that massive fork there is about an inch of clearance on either side!

The only thing I am a bit bothered about is if the existing UK Jones owners get questioned, hopefully most of them are known where they usually ride and won't mind if someone asks politely.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Gutted for you,I'd hate mine to go walk about's I've had mine for nearly 18 months and still can't get enough of it.

oldagedpredator – Member
    The pictures dont do it justice the bike justice and that huge front wheel isnt going to slip quietly by anyone unless as peter thinks its an insider knowledge job.

If the picture on the front page doesn't do it justice here's one of mine

I think yours was only the 3rd fat fork/wheel combo in the UK.

Hope no one thinks I knicked it while I'm out riding.

Fingers crossed and eyes peeled for you in the north. JC

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Chainline – Member
    Could things get any worse…looks like Merlin can't make any more Jones's, Jeff is trying to work with others to see if he can get some frames built to his design, otherwise back to just Jeff which could mean huge waiting lists. Either way gonna be a very long time before I can get another

****, I was after a 2nd one so I didn't have to gear it up for the summer and SS it back again in the winter as it is now.

Chainline
    Free Member

Ah you see John, the instantly recognizable Paul hub to those in the know 😀

You were very kind and let me try yours out at SSUK this year whilst still waiting for mine, I appreciated that.

Yes the news on availability was a blow. Changing out isn't so bad though,that was my intent, mostly SS occasionally geared.

You even have a choice of huge front tyre now! A slightly knobblier one shown at Interbike. I do too, but no bike to run it on!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Keep your eye on Gumtree in and around your area with different city searchs
    http://leicester.gumtree.com/other_gumtrees.html

racing_ralph
    Free Member

poor bastard who nicked the Jones, not only will he not be able to sell it but he will look like a **** riding it 😉

Frankers
    Free Member

ROFL Harris – Member

poor bastard who nicked the Jones, not only will he not be able to sell it but he will look like a **** riding it

What a nice comment to be aimed at someone who just had their home broken into and possesions stolen.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

hence the wink you ****

Frankers
    Free Member

Oh sorry didn't notice the wink, must be ok then.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

is the op offended? no? then what is the problem?

simonm
    Free Member

Hi Phil, really sorry to hear that. We met just before you got the Jones, bought the Chariot off you. gutted for your loss, hope it gets recovered. Especially gutted about the Isla bike, was hoping to buy that off you when your girls outgrew it 😉

Garry_Lager

Get tae f_uck ROFL, you silly ****. He's just lost an irreplaceable bike, it's not like a Giant Reign on the house insurance.

Really hope something turns up Chainline.

Frankers
    Free Member

ROFL Harris – Member

is the op offended? no? then what is the problem?

Personally ROFL I just think it's a bit insensitive making comments like the one you made above just after someone has gone through the stress of having their home broken into and something that he had worked hard for taken by some complete bastard.

Maybe like you said above though i'm just being a ****

biff

Phil – I don't think I can do anything to help but I'll be on the look out down this part of the country. The only way they are going to sell a Jones to someone who knows what they are buying is to be a long way from the UK (where Jones owners are few and friendly) and to someone who doesn't care it is stolen. Looking at your picture it looks likes you've got Jeff's modified Rohloff chainguide on there too – I'd suggest you look out for those kind of things being offered for sale. They might well have to dump the frame so try a 'give me my frame back no questions asked' appeal as a last resort? If you think I can help at all do feel free to email me. I tore a calf muscle on the weekend and I think your pain is worse.

dustytrails

Chainline, really does sound like you were targeted, sure i was too.
    Did you have any door to door types round prior to the theft who may have seen in your garage? ANY ONE, no matter how legit they seemed?
    I personally don't think it's "pikies" if they only took bikes, not random enough! This was also the opinion of my mate who's a top copper (CID i think)
    I did have a door to door type & phoned the organisation he was representing – turned out cosher though?!

Chainline
    Free Member

Thanks Guys,
    The only people round was a seemingly nice guy off the forum who bought my Rohloff.

I'm sure I was targeted in terms of I live on a main road and people driving by could see I have mountain and road bikes, so I think they thought they would have a look see. I'm surprised they had kit to get through my Oxford Moterbike lock.

Like Biff says, likely the frame could get dumped or sold to someone who knows no better for a couple of hundred quid.

I thought about a reward or appeal but not sure where to make that appeal. I could give the local paper a call and see if they will print an article..rare bikes stolen etc, I would not want any details of my address putting out tho.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why would a burglar take the child's bike?

Burglars have kids too. Might have been more valuable to him for personal use than the amount he'd get for fencing another bike?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm sure the local press could keep your location quiet….

gravitydroppersrock
    Free Member

Regarding the local press – how about adopting a PO box for replies to your advert?

Do you have any "big yellow storage" places round you – may be worth contacting them with a pic of the Jones to see if it has been brought in to be "stored"

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hell, what a loss! I really feel for you. Both of you.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sorry to hear like all here I will keep a look out

btw sorry about ROFL he is a tosspot

biff

Local paper and flyers a good option I reckon. PO Box or just buy a cheap PAYG phone and give that number out for any information. Is a fifty quid reward enough to have thieves shop each other? The more (local) people who know a rare bike was stolen (they don't need to know its value) the better. Check with Jeff but I'd guess there are no more than six or so of your kind of bike in the UK? I reckon fencing rare stuff must be something thieves would rather avoid surely so get the message out there that it's unique – and they may as well drop it back in your garden at 3am. And if it's international/out-of-town professionals then let's hope the internet catches up with them. I appreciate prosecution and recovery is the ideal outcome but just getting the bike back would work for me.

Frankers
    Free Member

I reckon an ad in the HT wouldn't hurt, all information could be to the local nick or HT office, worth trying

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Chainline – You said they took the fat wheel, did you get it wiht a "normal" wheel on the 135mm hub as well and if so did they take that as well?

If not you should contact Paul (hubs) to see how many have been sold to suppliers in the UK and if none have been sold, ask them to keep in touch if any retailer asks them for one as a special order. so you can follow it up as the scumbag might want to try and build up a thin wheel to flog it easier.

ilikebikes
    Free Member

They stole it with a normal front wheel and left the fat one behind.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN LAST NIGHT – Hinckley – JONES, COTIC, SPECIALIZED’ is closed to new replies.