Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stolen from Bristol – Santa Cruz Nomad & Marin Attack Trail
  • hayton77
    Free Member

These bikes were stolen from Host Street (City Centre) over the first bank holiday weekend from the 22nd – 25th April. They were stolen from my work basement garage which has steal bars and metal grates over the windows, a metal rolling door and is covered by CCTV. Inside the garage the bikes were chained together through the rear swing-arms with a Kryptonite wire chain and then through a bike rack which was anchored to the ground and all locked through the rack with a Kryptonite New York 3000 ‘D’ lock. To me they could not have been more secure unless they were in Fort Knox! These thieves new what they were after and came prepared! Below are the details of each bike.

Santa Cruz Nomad (mk1) in anodised black. Size medium
    Silver Rockshox Lyric 2 Step forks,
    Formula Oro disk brakes
    Thompson elite seat post with a zig zag scratch up the side where grit removed the anodised
    Fi’zi’k Gobi XM seat
    Pro II hubs in black
    Maxxi High roller LUST tubeless tyres
    Gold Token grips
    Token Bottom bracket
    Easton monkeyriser bars which still have the fixing for a MAXX D light

Marin attack Trail 2006 in black
    Red Manitou Black elite air fork
    Pro II hub on the rear and Hope XC hub up front both in anodised blue.
    Maxxi minion tyre up front and not sure what was on back.
    Thompson elite seat post with a shim to fit the wider downtube
    Chris King headset in black
    Old hope mini disks
    Truvativ ovation stem and bars (I think)

As it turns out the small print meant that they were not covered so unless these bikes turn up I’m a few grand out of pocket and unable to buy a replacement.

If you can offer any information on the whereabouts of these bikes your help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Hairychested
    Free Member
    rainbow
    Free Member

Sorry about your loss, hope the bikes wiil be returned back to you, keep your eyes out for local gumtree and ebay, Bristol is a bad place for bikes as scums always nicking them there, my sister lives there and had her bike nicked just before xmas. 😡

BTW, I hate Bristol, a filthy hole.

hayton77
    Free Member

Cheers Hairychested. I emailed stolenbristolbikes yesterday but still no sign of the post on their site. I sent the message again this evening so hopefully see it up their soon.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

Bristol is a great place to live in general, but bike crime is a problem IMHO

I will keep an eye out for you.

Was there no secuirty at your office over the weekend??

boxfish
    Free Member

Will keep an eye out for them. Sounds like the thieving barstewards came prepared.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Wasn’t a opportunity type theft. They came prepared. They knew how they were secured and when they had time to do the job. Me I would look around the people I know. Inside job or someone knows your setup.

andyl
    Free Member

crikey, what small print did you fall foul of?

Have you contacted PC Frank? (I posted his details in another thread about a Bristol theft a couple of days ago).

Easty
    Free Member

I had some bikes stolen last night and apparently it is getting really common to be followed ‘home’ or in your case to work after hitting the trails. They speculated that there may be a gang in the area and they also speculated they either strip them and flog the parts as it is less noticeable than trying to sell them whole or that they might end up abroad!

Good luck with your hunt.

tobytaylorj
    Free Member

My white heckler was nicked in bristol too, not turned up on ebay or gumtree so I doubt yours will either, ill keep an eye out but doubt these f-wits even ride. I think the only thing we can do as a mountain bike community is watch out for each other and make sure that dodgy offers on the net are put up on the forum, hopefully eventually someone will get busted. gutted for you mate, it really sucks.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

They obviously have an outlet for the parts, it can only be others in the mtb community?

hayton77
    Free Member

I am gutted to say the least!

I have lived in Bristol for nearly 10 years and have never had a bad experience with crime but some cheeky ba*tards have in one swoop not only nicked my pride and joy but have got me checking out every bike I pass with suspicious eyes.

I am checking all the usual websites daily but I think the likelihood of the whole bikes turning up are slim.
    I understand the police are looking into some lines of enquiry but thought getting this info out to the people most likely to see them on the trail may be more fruitful.

For those of you that have not already done so I would advise spending 15 minutes taking some good photographs of your bikes along with any distinguishing features/damage that make it unique. Make a note of the frame number and write down a full spec of all the parts. If you are unlucky enough to have a bike stolen getting these details to the right people quickly gives you the best chance of recovering the bike. For me it was something I was always meaning to do but never got round to.

For me it will be a quite summer until I can save enough to replace the bike but hope you all enjoy the trails and be vigilant.

hayton77
    Free Member

I am gutted to say the least!

I have lived in Bristol for nearly 10 years and have never had a bad experience with crime but some cheeky ba*tards have in one swoop not only nicked my pride and joy but have got me checking out every bike I pass with suspicious eyes.

I am checking all the usual websites daily but I think the likelihood of the whole bikes turning up are slim.
    I understand the police are looking into some lines of enquiry but thought getting this info out to the people most likely to see them on the trail may be more fruitful.

For those of you that have not already done so I would advise spending 15 minutes taking some good photographs of your bikes along with any distinguishing features/damage that make it unique. Make a note of the frame number and write down a full spec of all the parts. If you are unlucky enough to have a bike stolen getting these details to the right people quickly gives you the best chance of recovering the bike. For me it was something I was always meaning to do but never got round to.

For me it will be a quite summer until I can save enough to replace the bike but hope you all enjoy the trails and be vigilant.

TooTall
    Free Member

What have your work said about this? Can’t you claim through them?

hayton77
    Free Member

No, personal possessions are not covered by my employers insurance and although we pay an insurance premium for all our possessions away from our home the small print excludes bicycles.

Gary_C

Is there nothing showing on cctv at your works?

Seems like the thieving bastards who took your bikes were well informed as to their wereabouts, & all the effort that they made to steal them. Did someone tip them off…work colleague with a grudge perhaps?

MrAgreeable

Bikes now up on the blog:

http://www.stolenbristolbikes.com/2011/05/pauls-marin-attack-trail-and-santa-cruz.html

Think work lockups like this are fairly common targets for thieves – it’s tempting to assume they are secure but unfortunately that’s not always the case. Unless you work in a very small firm where everyone knows everyone, it’s easy for someone to tailgate their way in.

As to who is buying the stuff, I’m afraid there are plenty of people out there who want a bargain and it’s not always easy to tell who the rightful owner is. The obviously dodgy adverts do tend to get picked up on, and the police have taken prompt action in the past to recover people’s bikes when spotted, so here’s hoping…

nickh73
    Free Member

Last week my Nomad was stolen with all my kids bikes also. First time we had all been out on them, next day, all stolen! Gutted as it was bought by my Dad who died last year. Cannot afford to replace and Insurers have squirmed out of giving me any more than £500.

If you see a deep blue Nomad frame, Talas Shocks etc, Please let me know,

Nick

wwaswas

in Bristol Nick?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stolen from Bristol – Santa Cruz Nomad & Marin Attack Trail’ is closed to new replies.