Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Stolen @ Cannock on Sunday: KTM Lycan 272
  • mboy
    Free Member

Sharing this for my colleague Paul who had his 6 week old KTM Lycan 272 stolen from outside the cafe at Birches Valley on Sunday afternoon around 4pm. He’d left the bike unattended (he knows, it doesn’t need pointing out) for a matter of 30 seconds, and it was gone. Parked right outside the cafe, in the log with the wheel cutouts.

The photo above was when the bike was brand new, when it was stolen the bike had a Reverb seatpost, SDG Bel Air saddle, Easton Haven Stem, Grey Renthal Grips and Specialized Tyres as changes from the original spec.

The bike is a 19″ size (KTM’s medium). There’s really not many of these bikes in the UK at all (in fact this was the very last one to come into the UK for 2014) so it will stand out like a sore thumb.

Any information leading to finding this bike would be greatly appreciated, and will be treated with the strictest of confidence. Please if you do know anything, contact me at mark AT missinglinkbikes DOT co DOT uk.

It would be fair to say he’s absolutely gutted about this (as you might imagine) having sold his old Trek and worked hard to pay for the new bike. Lots of people have already shared on facebook and twitter etc. but he would really appreciate anyone else taking the time to do so too.

AlexSimon

Bastards. I was there on Sat and didn’t dare leave mine without someone with it. Plenty of people did though!

I hate to think that there are just people always on the lookout like this. Horrible feeling.

Should be pretty rare bike – fingers crossed for a return.
    I’m assuming the Police don’t really know where to start.

scandal42
    Free Member

**** 👿

Lets hope something equally horrible happens to the scrote that took it.

I just can’t believe people make it so easy for them though.

hora
    Free Member

SHIT its easy to feel relaxed especially if you’ve had a good ride etc- I’ve done the same at Llandegla in the past. Will keep a lookout.

would it be worthwhile suggesting signs- ‘dont leave bike unattended’ to Cannock management so some good comes out of this at least (I know its no consolation).

Slight hijack, but keeps it at the top of the page….

Has anyone had this happen at BPW, because no-one seems bothered too much about bike security there either (me included when I’ve been)?

Lifer
    Free Member

scandal42 – Member
    I just can’t believe people make it so easy for them though.

I got ranted at and told not to stick my nose in when I pointed out to someone that I could just lift their bike up and be away after they locked it to a bollar/post thing in town

hora
    Free Member

Same can be said for bikes left ontop of cars. I’ve commented on that before – after all you can open a Thule lock with scissors or a screwdriver and any padlock- well cut easily or use allen keys and take the bars as well. Same applies to motorway services (where lovelable rogues hang about looking for caravans etc to nick).

Its all awareness I guess.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Barstewards.

I ride there a lot and never let my bike out of my site around Birches Valley just because there are so many scummy looking yoofs hanging around (especially at the weekend).

If they try and move it on trhough eBay / Pink Bike etc it should be fairly easy to spot I would have thought.

scandal42
    Free Member

A bike theft vigilante group would be fun, watch people leave bikes and lookout for dirty scrotey **** trying to lift them.

mboy
    Free Member

I hate to think that there are just people always on the lookout like this. Horrible feeling.

It’s understood that there’s often people sat around outside the cafe, wearing cycling gear, that aren’t actually genuine cyclists but rather opportunists waiting to make a quick (and unassuming) getaway on your bike!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I think the problem stems from folk (wrongly) thinking they are amongst like minded people. Fellow cyclists and mountain bikers. I’ve done the same at Cannock, assumed I’m just amongst mountain bikers and families enjoying a day out.

I actually think hora is right, that some well placed signs reminding people that just because they are at a trail centre doesn’t mean their bikes are safe, is a good idea .

njee20
    Free Member

I actually think hora is right, that some well placed signs reminding people that just because they are at a trail centre doesn’t mean their bikes are safe, is a good idea .

Your wording is better. Don’t leave bikes unattended is too generic. Something about cyclists being thieves is better. Gutted for the OP’s friend!

hora
    Free Member

I think the problem stems from folk (wrongly) thinking they are amongst like minded people. Fellow cyclists and mountain bikers.

How easy is it to rock up at a race in raceface top and shorts and wander round smiling ..looking?

Don’t forget not all young riders are of upstanding morals. Think of it this way- you can extend your stay in the Alps by lifting/fencing on unattended (or lightly) attended bikes of holiday makers there. I wonder how many Brits bikes were sold on in France/Germany etc.

When we were in the Alps last, sat in the bar below looking up at our Room shared balcony there were three lads in cycling kit walking along looking through each room patio window.

Your bike etc walks, within a few days you are gone anyway back to the UK and the thief doesn’t need to hide the bike long. On holiday we don’t deadlock/ground-anchor etc our bikes do we?

Back in 2003 the bike place I stayed at said ‘put it in the outside cage/small padlock’. I said no **** way- it stays inside.

timmys

Has anyone had this happen at BPW, because no-one seems bothered too much about bike security there either (me included when I’ve been)?

When I was there about 10 days ago someone had their bike nicked from off the top of their car. It certainly felt safer leaving a bike unlocked outside the cafe versus ‘locked’ to a rack in the car park where it was tucked away out of sight.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’m starting to lose sympathy for the people who leave them outside Swinnos unattended.

I’m a local and its getting worrying about how many stories I’ve heard of this, whether it be on STW, Chase trail or word of mouth.

You gotta ask yourself, what is in the shop that becomes priority over the reason you are there in the first place…to ride your bike.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I think the problem stems from folk (wrongly) thinking they are amongst like minded people. Fellow cyclists and mountain bikers. I’ve done the same at Cannock, assumed I’m just amongst mountain bikers and families enjoying a day out.

I know there’s signs actually on the racks outside Swinnos, I think there’s been at least one bike nicked every weekend for the past month or two. The police have been patrolling, both in uniform and out of it, but there’s still bikes being nicked. 🙁 No prominent signs at the cafe though, as far as I know.

Hope the OP’s friend is reunited with his bike quickly.

williamtm
    Free Member

There are police notices on the cafe windows, but not on the logs – and there are two police notices stapled to the log outside Swinnos, but nothing on the windows there.

I never leave my bike unattended at Swinnos other than when I’m in the shop and can see it at all times. I don’t go into the cafe much/at all, so that’s not too much of a problem.

I think a fair amount of the thefts at the cafe might be prevented if they would put a few more of the bike logs right in front of the window near the tills. That way you could keep an eye on it at all times. As it is now, if you leave your bike in one of the logs and go into the cafe, you cannot see it.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I think a fair amount of the thefts at the cafe might be prevented if they would put a few more of the bike logs right in front of the window near the tills. That way you could keep an eye on it at all times. As it is now, if you leave your bike in one of the logs and go into the cafe, you cannot see it.

We need a ride through cafe. It’s the only way to be sure. I’ve not spotted the posters in the cafe, but that’s probably because I always go in through the back door rather than the main entrance (not a euphemism). Even with a lock, I never use the cafe bike logs because you can’t see them from inside and it takes so damn long to get served!

scruff
    Free Member

There were signs up, but they got stolen. 😆

rOcKeTdOg

Why do they need signs? Surely it’s common sense not to leave it unattended & unlocked in a mtb honey pot?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Why do they need signs? Surely it’s common sense not to leave it unattended & unlocked in a mtb honey pot?

plus 1 – I think they require signs because its the nanny state mentality whereas the rest believe its our responsibility if it goes walkabout.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Aye, but some people are probably a bit too trusting/naive and think that because people don’t ‘look dodgy’ that they aren’t, or that because there are a lot of people around that thieves wouldn’t dare.

imnotverygood

People just don’t seem to equate Trail Centres with crime. I had a debate with a friend of mine who wanted to leave a bike (my bike) on top of his car while we had lunch at GT Peel. He had absolutely no fear that the the Thule lock would be insufficient. ” & in any case it’ll be alright here”

CalamityJames
    Free Member

People just don’t seem to equate Trail Centres with crime.

I guess it’s the same principal with Ski slopes etc. Amazes me how many people leave expensive skis/boards laying around because others do and assume it safe.

Regardless, hope your mate gets his bike back.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Is there no CCTV around the cafe / swinnos / car park entrance/exits? It’s not going to stop someone riding off but you might spot the bike on a rack and pick up a cars rego?

Good luck to your buddy anyway.

Also, Mercedes in Wolves had two “high performance” bikes stolen from their showroom.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Is there no CCTV around the cafe / swinnos / car park entrance/exits? It’s not going to stop someone riding off but you might spot the bike on a rack and pick up a cars rego?

There is at Swinnos, they’ve provided the police with evidence a few times (including when they had locked up demo bikes nicked from out front).

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Agree with the above

“Just because you’re a biker, doesn’t make you sound” sentiment.

I’m surprised there’s not even more widespread component theft:

“Ooh, fatbars” etc etc.

Good luck on a happy ending for your mate, op.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

The whole thing is self perpetuating as if scrotes know there are rich pickings to be had it will attract more so people leaving bikes unatended are adding to the whole sorry issue

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

This is happening everywhere.Down the Forest Of Dean yesterday and a policeman was going around the car park chatting to people saying lock everything up.You just got to be very carefull now.
    These are the places the scumbags are going to target all the time.

matther01
    Free Member

I never take a pee or stop at the cafe at Cannock anymore precisely for this reason.

boxfish
    Free Member

Finish ride
    Lock up bike in car
    Lock car
    Drink coffee
    Act smug

ryan91
    Free Member

I always carry around a mini cable lock which will either attach to an object, another bike or at worst loop through the rear wheel and frame. The lock is puny, but anything that stops somebody just swinging a leg over and riding away is going to make them look elsewhere or take risks…..and theiving scrotes like that are the essence of cowardly so they’ll (more often than not) go elsewhere.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It is but we don’t all act with common sense all of the time. What’s wrong with a reminder?

bikeneil
    Free Member

would it be worthwhile suggesting signs- ‘dont leave bike unattended’ to Cannock management

I think the sign should read “please use your common sense”.

hora
    Free Member

As I admitted I’ve done this (at Llandegla) however the bike was firmly in view and right next to the front door on the decking), still it’d only take a turn of the head/look down and it could be gone and ridden flat out down the hill/through the entrance road.

As with races ‘we’ seem to think we are all like minded not realising its prime territory for someone who can make one theft and it covers a months income for them.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Sportives are prime for it too. I couldn’t get over the amount of exotica left lying outside at sign on.

br
    Free Member

I always carry around a mini cable lock which will either attach to an object, another bike or at worst loop through the rear wheel and frame. The lock is puny, but anything that stops somebody just swinging a leg over and riding away is going to make them look elsewhere or take risks…..and theiving scrotes like that are the essence of cowardly so they’ll (more often than not) go elsewhere.

This. Whenever I am either on my own or where we’ll be going into a cafe where I know we can’t see the bikes.

Same reason when we lived in a town that I always locked my garage – odds-on they’ll just go onto the next house, until they find the unlocked garage.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have only ever stopped at BV a few times. Last time was a few weeks ago parked the bike in one of the logs and sat on a nearby table but not that nearby. It was a moderately busy day and lots of people had a *really* good look at the bike. I watched the same two walk past twice

Just saying like

mindmap3
    Free Member

If I ever use the cafe, my bike comes in with me! It may upset a few people up but tough. I’d rather a few tuts and looks than some scum sucker riding off with my bike.

Are they opening the other cafe / hut thing up at the moment? I used to use that quite a lot as I didn’t need to leave me bike anywhere. Lats time I was there on a warm day it was closed.

Maybe there should be a hatch that bikers could be served via to avoid leaving bikes around?

The other issue with placs like Cannock is that they’re close to populated areas so easy for scumbags to get to, whereas other places are a bit more out of the way. Cannock isn’t the nicest of areas either.

williamtm
    Free Member

Finish ride
    Lock up bike in car
    Lock car
    Drink coffee
    Act smug

I’d be careful of doing that too. There have been bikes stolen at Cannock from within cars a few times. And some poor chap had his £40k pimped out Defender stolen a month or two back from the car park, in the middle of the day in broad daylight on a busy weekend. It’s unfortunate, but that’s the way it is these days…

Are they opening the other cafe / hut thing up at the moment? I used to use that quite a lot as I didn’t need to leave me bike anywhere. Lats time I was there on a warm day it was closed.

That seems to vary…sometimes it’s open, sometimes it’s closed. There doesn’t seem to be any set time when they run it – it’s been opened and closed when they’ve been busy at the main cafe, when the weather is nice, and when it’s raining….so it sortof seems to be whenever they feel like it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Stolen @ Cannock on Sunday: KTM Lycan 272’ is closed to new replies.