• This topic has 82 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Stolen bikes from sheds and garages- Why would you store them there?
  • maxray
    Free Member

Hora thats ridiculous!! You are yeilding to the crim by filling up your bedroom/hall/kitchen or whatever with something that shouldn't be there.

You are inconvenienced every time you squeeze past those extra wide carbon bars or your wife moans that "that muddy bike should be in the shed".

Of course if you have a spare room dedicated to bikes it is a bit different but for a lot of people keeping maybe 3 or 4 bikes in the house is a pain in the arris.

I have to pay building and contents insurance, my bike is locked in a shed that the insurance are happy with and if it does get nicked ill get a replacement. Life is too short and its just a bike.

People nick stuff, it happens and has happened for donkeys years its just back in th eolden days you could slay the guy that stole your pig or whatever 😀

hora
    Free Member

You don't leave it in the street do you? They're probably stealing it right now

Even Criminals want something thats desirable/fast if its going to take abit of effort 😆

maxray
    Free Member

an Aygo?! 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yunki
    Free Member

Holy crap KT! Opportunist of targeted do you think?

probably a disgruntled agency employee 😈

DezB
    Free Member

My garage is joined to my house.
    I live in a low crime area.
    I have a dog with a loud bark.
    My bike is locked to the garage wall with a big bar lock.

I've come down in the morning (or back from work) and found I've left my garage door unlocked a number of times.. not desirable, but nothing's been stolen!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Do you really think people leave them in sheds because they're too thick to leave them inside?

If I lived in my own place with the space to put them inside then I would. In reality I share a 2 bedroom house and there just isn't space. It's as simple as that.

U31
    Free Member

Not a hard and fast cast iron rule, but housebreaking and outbuildings are a completely different mindset.
    It takes a profesional thief or someone very determined to do your house, where as an opportunist or cheeky kids wouldnt think twice about doing your shed… bad luck if your bikes in there?

-Liam-
    Free Member

I have a 2 bedroomed flat.

Guess where my bike lives 😀

On occasions when I go to my missus' house on my bike, it lives in the kitchen.

She loves it haha 😀

hora
    Free Member

Not a hard and fast cast iron rule, but housebreaking and outbuildings are a completely different mindset.
    It takes a profesional thief or someone very determined to do your house, where as an opportunist or cheeky kids wouldnt think twice about doing your shed… bad luck if your bikes in there?

Aye. At least with a shed no one lives in there and there are numerous escape routes within a metre or so if you hear/are disturbed.

If you go into a house you might meet someone with a claw hammer, golf club, baseball bat or carving knife. An old friend of mine was jailed for 18months after he was burgled twice for his keyboard equipment- the second attempt he used a shortened baseball bat.

If I was a Burgular I'd know I'd be entering a confined space and I'd arm myself accordingly- this opens up a whole new ballpark compared to 'rumbling a shed'.

I think you become 'thick' when you assume that being a thief automatically makes you less intelligent.

U31
    Free Member

No names no pack drill, but one of the best former thieves in Tonge Moor in the late 80's and early 90's is ex 22 SAS after discovering he liked the army … out now and working as bounty hunter in the United States..

Thieving was all he thought there was for him after leaving school with low qualifications, and by god could he run, always in the cross country team at school, never caught by the police when chased on foot.
    He signed up as a toy soldier and found he liked it, joined as a reg and had a natural aptitude.

hora
    Free Member

Sheesh, I bet even before he joined up proper he could fight if cornered 😕

yesiamtom
    Free Member

quick question hora as i dont really know your personally.

Do you ride your bikes offroad or in the rain like…ever?

Ive kept my bikes inside and after one winter i have totally **** my carpets. Now they stay in a shed. I live in the middle of a large city aswell.

Like you i only really have two bikes (well there now but one is worthless) so could in theory keep them in the house or conservatory. Its just not practical due to the mud and would be very rude to the people i live with.

U31
    Free Member

Hora,
    No idea, only tussel we ever had was as teens over a girl, and being mates it wasnt serious .. 🙂

Despite his early career choice he was actually a really nice and laid back bloke..

I'm backing up your statement here of not assuming thiefs are stupid, obviously once this guy found his niche in life, and found a letigimate outlet for his energies, his inteligence was without question

hora
    Free Member

quick question yesiamtom as i dont really know you personally.

Do you ride your bikes in winter, offroad and in the Peaks (or similar)?

If you do, you'll know that mountain bike parts – drivetrain etc wear down quicktime with grit, sand/the paste that gets in there if you don't strip down, clean etc after each ride in winter.

I'm not into buying two sets of £100+ drivetrain in one winter or replacing fork stanchions on a regular basis.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

yes yes no (bit of soft salty southern water though)

The question was not meant ot be rude but youve obviously taken it that way.

either way do you think my neighbours want to hear me cleaning my bike at midnight every tuesday? I highly doubt it.

hora
    Free Member

No offence taken- the crap up here is seriously abrasive. A few times I've lazily left it (and regretted).

yesiamtom
    Free Member

perhaps a bit of perspective is in order. People mention their security but not the price of bikes they have. The new cost of both my bikes is around £1000. Second hand maybe 4-500? I dont have any real security to speak of other than not drawing attention to myself/house.

I know some people with literally tens of thousands of pounds of bikes in their shed* and they have much tighter security obviously.

*more like a small second house*

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Scienceofficer – Member

Despite a period last year of over half a dozen attempts

Targeted.

hora
    Free Member

For me its not the value of the bike itself its the thought of being screwed over by someone.

KINGTUT – Member
    Scienceofficer – Member
    Despite a period last year of over half a dozen attempts

Targeted.

That is the worrying part. Crims tend to pass on info/talk and to each other and at somepoint someone will try who has abit of nowse about them. Plus at somepoint someone is going to dent or damage your frame or forks etc in attempting to steal them?!

To me it would be too much of a prewarning to leave my bikes there. They'd be moved pdq.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I keep my moutain bikes in the shed and my road bike in the house (I don't like her getting cold). I have a big **** off ground anchor and big new york locks. My shed is brick built. If someone wants my bikes they'll get them, regardless of the precautions I take. I'd rather they take them from the shed that being in my house putting my wife and I at risk. As much as I love my bikes, I love mine and my wifes' safety more!!

U31
    Free Member

Regarding the pre warning statement..

A mate has a farm at the top of Bolton, and kept the big Ifor Williams trailer behind the big round bales..

One day the hub caps got swiped, so i told him to move it, as now it is known to be there and they clearly got away with the hub caps.
    He said he'd clear a space in the morning to lock it in the barn.
    He never got the chance…

mildred

This is the way my mind works.

In one thread it is possible for a thief to know who lives in a house or flat, and where their bikes are kept, and how secured. If you regularly buy and sell in the classifieds, a savvy thief would also know where each of you live.

hora
    Free Member

The thief would also know that the bike parts/frames literally leave the Postmans hands as I pass them back to him.. 😆

trb
    Free Member

Once I used to keep my spanky uber expensive bikes in the house.

Then I found a girlfriend
    We bought a house together
    She morphed into on of those wife things
    A couple of those uber expensive children things have now appeared

So now I keep my bikes in the shed, but hey, it's not so much of a problem because my bikes have also morphed into cheap, unwashed, rarely ridden or maintained models 😉

mildred

So now I keep my bikes in the shed, but hey, it's not so much of a problem because my bikes I have also morphed into cheap, unwashed, rarely ridden or maintained model

Since marriage that is.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Bombproof (literally!) cellar seems to work ok for me.

robdob
    Free Member

I must be odd. I'd hate to pay increased premiums for years afterwards (upto 5yrs isn't it?) and the thought of someone potentially riding around on my property for free (who cares if I'd be paid out) would really really rankle me.
    Plus the fact that a couple of months down the line (and thereon after) they'd be noising around again to see if the garage or shed had been refilled.
    I'm not into keeping the criminal economy topped up. Insurance (in my opinion) isn't there as a backup/catchall. Its the additional thought of someone having something of mine that'll stop me storing anything outdoors.

+1 – I agree with all that, well said!

I don't think many people would keep £2k's worth or jewellery in the shed, so why keep the bike in there? Thankfully I have a cellar to keep the bikes in but there is no way mine would be going in a seperate shed or garage. When me and the wife look for a new house the one thin we'll be looking at is storage for the bikes.

Put the kids in the shed. In cages, best place for 'em. 😉

JonR
    Free Member

Me and the missus have 6 bikes. We keep three in the house and three in the shed. The 3 in the house tend to be the most valuable ones and we don't have room for any more.

epicyclo

Some of you folk live in right nasty places…

andy7t2
    Free Member

because every couple of years they let the toerags out of penn. The toerags come and rob my bike to buy a rock of crack. I get a new bike, the insurance goes up by £40 and the toerags get locked away for another 2 years until we start the whole process again

Happy days

cxi
    Free Member

I don't think many people would keep £2k's worth or jewellery in the shed, so why keep the bike in there?

'Cos £2k's of jewellery doesn't need greasing or oiling, nor come back home covered in The Peak's finest grit and mud?

U31
    Free Member

'Cos £2k's of jewellery doesn't need greasing or oiling, nor come back home covered in The Peak's finest grit and mud?

No, you leave it in the house because only a madman would expect it to be safe in the outbuildings. So why leave your 3 grand bike out there too?

Wash before coming in to the house or set aside a piece of lino for it to live on if you cant be arsed to clean it

KINGTUT
    Free Member

That is the worrying part. Crims tend to pass on info/talk and to each other and at somepoint someone will try who has abit of nowse about them. Plus at somepoint someone is going to dent or damage your frame or forks etc in attempting to steal them?!

To me it would be too much of a prewarning to leave my bikes there. They'd be moved pdq.

Life is too short to worry 'that' much, besides once they are in the garage I have measures to ensure that they can't stay in there for long, if at all.

U31
    Free Member

Dont worry about it, just be aware of it.
    Most victims inadvertantly make themself victimised.

IainGillam
    Free Member

There is a train of thought that suggests, if they want it they will have it regardless of where you put it. Security will stop an oppertuinist theif but not a determined one. A chap on an MX forum had his bike in a secure garage with cars parked infront of it they got in an carried the 100kg+ bike out over the car. A local shop got broken into through the wall they removed it brick by brick. A farmer where I used to live had a load of quads nicked when the theives knocked on his door pointed a shotgun at him and asked for the keys, didn't really matter where he had them stored. A dog is not a deterrent it is an annoyance that they will dispach in seconds. By all means make it a secure as possible and get good insurance but if a chap knocked on my door with a gun he can have the bike, and I wouldn't be buying a guard dog as a pet because if you have a gaurd dog you are advertising you have something worth nicking and you may well end up with no dog and no bike. Living in a low crime area with lots of curtain twitching neighbours and bikes that aren't worth massive ammounts is probably a good bet.

Iain

Dancake
    Free Member

I barly have time to ride once a week, let alone spend 3 hrs cleaning it so I can bring it in the house…(and to be fair, Mrs Dancake just would NOT tolerate a bike in the house)

I come home, it gets put in the Purpose-build shed and ancored down with 2 motorcycle chains. If the shed gets done over and the crims get my bike, they must have really wanted it…much rather a smashed shed door and a cut frame than inviting criminals into my house for my bike

regarding the jewelerry argument, I dont regularly drive up to the house with a sign saying "£2000 ring on board" ; its kind of harder to hide the fact you are bringing an expensive bike home…

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

3 in kitchen,1 in hallway…an 1 in living room as its a work of Art 😆

Mine's in the garage.

New York ground anchor, chain, and D shackle. Chain goes through front wheel and fork as well.

Then I've got a video camera pointed at it with PIR activation. An alarm goes off in my bedroom and I get an instant view of the scene on a little LCD monitor.

Can't think of much more I can do except attach a live wire to the bike 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My security measures are "living in the middle of nowhere in a house even many people in the village don't know the location of"

And a dog.

And a beard.

And awesomeness.

Always worried in Bristol – bike crime is out of control there. At work, the bike sat next to me at my desk!

speaker2animals

I wish I had a shed or garage that I could put my bikes in. I live alone but it really hacks me off that I have a room that is a right state cos my bikes have to live there. I feel that I could make either almost as safe (for want of a better term) as the house. If the astards want what you get, they'll get it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Stolen bikes from sheds and garages- Why would you store them there?’ is closed to new replies.