• This topic has 82 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Stolen bikes from sheds and garages- Why would you store them there?
  • hora
    Free Member

Seriously, insurance aside. Wheres the first place a crim will look?

You wouldnt leave your bike ontop of your car and go shopping would you? (actually some people would).

andyl46
    Free Member

Because sometimes my wife objects if i keep my muddy bike in the bedroom handcuffed to my wrist while i sleep.

Maybe the answer is practicality?

vinnyeh

Stolen bikes from sheds and garages- Why would you store them there?
    Seriously, insurance aside. Wheres the first place a crim will look?

And the house would be the second presumably?

Sam

ummm – no space elsewhere?

Jamie
    Free Member

Unless you plan on storing your bike/s on the moon it's fairly certain the crim can work out if it's either outbuilding or main building.

Have some coffee then come back with a decent morning topic Hora 😉

tron
    Free Member

I was beginning to wonder about Hora. He said some fairly sane things in the thread on running your own business.

Now he comes out with this, and all is well with the world again. 😆

TrevorB

My brother had his bike in the house. Two dogs, a Bull Terrier and a Rotweiller. The crims took the window out completely and stole the bike.
    If they want it, they will get it…….

Xan
    Free Member

Both mine are in the garage. Both are chained together, garage is alarmed and always locked. My garage is part of my hose so I'm downstairs and in it in seconds if I'm in or they have half the neighbours out before they can get both locks off. What's not secure about that??

hora
    Free Member

Mine sits in the hallway just fine but then I only own two.

**** all chance I'd leave my bikes outdoors.

Said this before. To break into a house you need to gain entry (usually harder than a shed) as you have to climb through a window (ever tried getting a bike through a window)?
    Or.. locate a key…..and owners don't live in sheds so you wont risk a confrontation.

If you don't want to pay increased insurance premiums for years surely your 'wife' can understand why it would be better?

tron
    Free Member

Hora. My shed has a proper door, is made of bricks and has the same windows as my house. It also has a concrete floor and a ground anchor. My house doesn't – it has carpets.

hora
    Free Member

a Bull Terrier and a Rotweiller

He needs too more alert dogs 😆 . Ours is like a hair-trigger if someone is on the drive let alone house.

tron, unlike your house though they can make a reasonable amount of noise (or take their time). Inside a house time isn't a luxury. Its also a step-up with alot more factors to take into account. i.e. if the householder is nuttier than the Burglar.

True, in some cases a brick/integrated garage can be better however I'm talking about sheds. I've got one. Nothing of any value is going in it though.

TooTall
    Free Member

If only we were all as smart as you eh hora?

If a thief wants to steal a car, the 'street' is probably best. Do you keep your car in the spare bedroom? If someone wants something bad enough, they will take it, regardless of where it is. Not everyone is as lucky/perfect/clever as you and doesn't have the space or sees no problem in having bikes out of the way.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What's a "too more alert dog"? Some strange genetic mutation?

Also when you say "True, in some cases a brick/integrated garage can be better however I'm talking about sheds" you seem to have moved your own goalposts as you titled the thread "Stolen bikes from sheds and garages- Why would you store them there?".

Anyway, my bikes are in the garage as a) I don't want the inside of my house cluttered up with them dripping mud and animal poo on the floor, b) The garage is integrated with the house and c) I live in a nice area with a very good neighbourhood watch scheme and very low crime rate

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you keep your car in the spare bedroom?

He's tried.

[img]http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6262/article0032f9330000005d.jpg[/img]

hora
    Free Member

If only we were all as smart as you eh hora

So the default idea is 'theres a shed there so why can't I use it'?

When I lived in a small flat in London I had my bike(s) in the flat. I don't understand the storage problem. Its value, if something has enough value to you (or you've been brought up poor yourself) you tend to be quite prickly about where you store things.

It doesn't matter what chains you use. I have a strong Oxford chain and within 30secs of me locking it outside the gym window someone had a go at it with bolt croppers. (this is on the cheap fixie- not a **** chance I'd lock my other bike outside anywhere).

FuzzyWuzzy

Did you wake up dumber this morning Hora and thought you'd share it with the rest of us?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

God Hora, Your life must be really, really, crap if this kinda thing troubles you.

hora
    Free Member

Did you wake up dumber this morning Hora and thought you'd share it with the rest of us

Who took the jam out of your donut? The topic confusing you? 😮

God Hora, Your life must be really, really, crap if this kinda thing troubles you

I guess its the 'bikes stolen from shed' threads that pop up every so often.

jam-bo

My bikes are in the shed because:

A: that's where there is space.
    B: that's where my workshop is.
    C: I live in a low crime area.
    D: I have good insurance for if it all goes wrong and then I get shiny new bikes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Haaa Haaaaa!

Keep the bikes in the house? I'd have to move into the garage if I did that!
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff to do that, sorry.

Marmoset
    Free Member

When my bike is on the back of the car I also hang a notice up with my address on, stating that the bike is stored in the shed. Obviously any crim that reads this thinks it's a cunning sting operation, so my shed gets left well alone…. 🙄

I don't have anywhere else to put it, and I don't have 40kg of concrete with a loop of reinforcement bar in it inside my house.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ive got 7 Bikes, and a 3 Bedroom House….

So, Its the Gararge for all of mine I'm afraid.

M & S, and a gert big lock, plus living ion a low crime area should help?

njee20
    Free Member

God Hora, Your life must be really, really, crap if this kinda thing troubles you.

This

Did you wake up dumber this morning Hora and thought you'd share it with the rest of us?

And this

I keep my more valuable bikes in the flat, because I don't really trust the communal bike shed for anything other than my commuter. It's a right faff, I have to keep it in a bike bag so I don't leave mud everywhere when I come back in, and it makes going out for a ride a rather laborious task.

If I had a private garage/shed it would be in there, no doubt about it! But then I don't live in the crime riddled North 🙂

RustyMac

My bikes will be going in the shed when it is finnished. That is where i have been able to fit a ground anchor. And they will be secured with this chain. Check out the videos on the home page to see how stron it is.

Propper chain

There is simply no space in my flat for them with out having to move them constantly to do stuff like get clothes out the wardrobe or hoover the hallway.

At the end of the day if the scumbags want them they will find a way of getting them whether they are in the house, gearrage or even a secure shed.

hora
    Free Member

God Hora

I like that.

Yes I live in the north, you can get **** if you think I'd leave anything more than a mingy-old strimmer and a bucket in mine! I guess it also comes down to aversion to risk as well. (I also used a bikebag in a flat).

clubber
    Free Member

Hora in 'yet again proves to everyone that he really is as stupid as we all thought he was' shocker.

yunki
    Free Member

I wouldn't be able to sleep well at night if my bike was in my garage/shed..

epicsteve
    Free Member

Given we have something like 10 bikes I'm not convinced it'd be practical to store them anywhere except the garage. Mine is attached to the house and alarmed. I haven't got round to putting in wall or floor anchors yet but I'm considering it.

I suspect anyone breaking into my garage would be after the motorbikes first though.

hora
    Free Member

Whats your point caller? I'm not the one who keeps thousands of pounds in a shed.

I wouldn't be able to sleep well at night if my bike was in my garage/shed..

Agree, I'd stir at the slightest noise.

Again its your aversion to risk.

mamadirt
    Free Member

My bikes are in the kitchen because:

A: that's where there is space.
    B: that's where my workshop is.
    C: I live in a . . . crime area.
    D: I have good insurance for if it all goes wrong but I don't want shiny new bikes I want vengeance 😈 .

and . . . my husband never objects if i keep my muddy bike in the bedroom handcuffed to the bed while i sleep.

Sorry, I'm with Hora and I'm done with the hack bike thing too . . . carrying a big **** off lock everywhere is character building . . . or something.

br
    Free Member

Locked brick garage attached to the house.

Ground anchors sunk into concrete floors.

Motorbike locks/chains/cables.

Whats' the problem?

Whats your point caller? I'm not the one who keeps thousands of pounds in a shed.

And I'd hate to add up the cost of everything that is in my garage…, tools ain't cheap – never mind the beer fridge and its contents 😆

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Wooden shed, with Ground anchor and an almax 4 chain and lock. Also comes with nosey insomniac old neighbour security.

maxray
    Free Member

It sensible Hora, I keep my bike in the bedroom, the flat screen under the sink in the kitchen and my pc is buried in a secret hole under the lawn. I wouldn't be so sily as to keep my wallet and car keys on show so they go in the cistern of the toilet.

YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL!!

or.. I keep my bikes in the shed as it is practical and that is why i pay house insurance so that if some scrote nicks something I can replace it. Shimples.

crashdummy
    Free Member

Wooden shed, with Ground anchor and an almax 4 chain and lock

Snap.

plus an alarm which goes off in the house.

I'm still happier when the bikes are in the house – but it isn't always practical. And in the house they aren't locked to anything so if somebody does break in – they could walk off with them anyway.

stumpy01

I live in a fairly small 2-bed end of terrace. There is absolutely NO way it would be practical to store it in the house, even if the other half didn't object, which she does.

The bike stays in the garage and yes it's a risk, but there's not a lot I can do about it until I move house.
    Then it will be garaged and I'll be installing a ground anchor & suitable device to stop the garage door being bent up out of the way.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Bikes nicked form car – yes.

Bikes nicked from house – yes.

Bikes nicked from garage – no.

Despite a period last year of over half a dozen attempts, they couldn't get past my garage security.

hora
    Free Member

I must be odd. I'd hate to pay increased premiums for years afterwards (upto 5yrs isn't it?) and the thought of someone potentially riding around on my property for free (who cares if I'd be paid out) would really really rankle me.

Plus the fact that a couple of months down the line (and thereon after) they'd be noising around again to see if the garage or shed had been refilled.

I'm not into keeping the criminal economy topped up. Insurance (in my opinion) isn't there as a backup/catchall. Its the additional thought of someone having something of mine that'll stop me storing anything outdoors.

Same with a car, if a crim broke into my car I'd be incredibly pissed off and probably not put a claim in (even though the damage would be circa £500).

Jamie
    Free Member

I must be odd.

8)

Dave
    Free Member

if a crim broke into my car

You don't leave it in the street do you? They're probably stealing it right now!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Despite a period last year of over half a dozen attempts

Holy crap KT! Opportunist of targeted do you think?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Stolen bikes from sheds and garages- Why would you store them there?’ is closed to new replies.