Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stolen Bikes – can we make it harder for thieves to sell stuff on?
  • fettling
    Free Member

Just been to the Woking Cycle Festival and picked up some bike stickers from the local police for registering and labelling my bikes with 🙂
    Then when I get home I see the latest “Bike Stolen” post on STW 🙁

Can we do something to make a thiefs life harder? It struck me as increadibly easy to sell stuff on after stealing it.
    Could we instigate a rule on STW where any bike or frame being sold must appear with the frame number? Could extend it to some components such as forks.

Obviously this needs a bit more thought, someone could just make up a frame number at the moment. Perhaps a picture of the frame number with STW forum open in the background to date the post by..

It is a bit of hassle, but it could help sort out the genuine sellers from the toe rags.

bradley
    Free Member

‘Something’ needs to happen regards bike theft across the country…it seems even those with Fort Knox in the back yard get stung…

People do make it easy though. A gentlemen at Chicksands today with an Orange Five29 with full kashima gear and ‘Fox’ stickers all over his pick-up, they look for those kind of indicators…

hora
    Free Member

Stop leaving them in sheds or garages.

That should start reducing loss.

dannybgoode

Sometimes sheds and garages are a necessary storage solution due to domestic constraints (for eg the wife saying if you keep those ****ing things in the house any longer I’m off).

However, if they are in shed, outhouse, garage etc – Good locks on the doors, proper anchor points for each bike and each bike secured with its own decent quality lock (and for eg not just a convenient length of chain, cable a toddler could chew through).

Other than that – don’t use Strava, be discreet when talking about your bikes etc and be vigilant.

Cheers

Danny B

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got:
    A huge shed
    A large brick built outhouse

Nothing of value is left in there.

**** insurance. Someone smoking lots of weed, **** and drinking beer on me is enough to stop me taking the risk.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Its not just the thieves you should be looking at what about people buying cheap stuff and not questioning where it came from.If there was no market for it they would not be stealing them.

project
    Free Member

Can we do something to make a thiefs life harder? It struck me as increadibly easy to sell stuff on after stealing it.

DONT BUY STUFF THAT APPEARS TOO CHEAP,dont buy second hand,unless you know the seller, as youre creating a market for stolen goods.

Thieves nick stuff to sell on, if there is a demand they will nick, been going on for time infinitum

fettling
    Free Member

I think I was kind of hoping that if we started a best practice for selling it would encourage the same for buying.

Project, your points could all form part of a set of guidelines for buyers. Could be added to the site if we can persuade STW to put a sticky post at the top of classifieds section.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

On fleabay you need the serial number to sell a set of oakleys, so I would agree with fettling on this one, frame numbers on second hand web pages should be a must.

(dear god just realised, I have agreed with a member of the collective 😀 )

takisawa2

the wife saying if you keep those ****ing things in the house any longer I’m off

Do this actually work…?
    I mean, so She will actually leave if I do this then… 😉

chunkypaul
    Free Member

can we make it harder for thieves to sell stuff on?

yep – stop buying second hand high end cheap kit from strangers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stolen Bikes – can we make it harder for thieves to sell stuff on?’ is closed to new replies.