Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Stolen bike returned, negative emotions towards it?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

Had a bike returned yesterday that was burgled from me amongst an entire collection over a year ago.

I absolutely loved this bike before it was nicked, now it’s back I’m looking at it and it just reminds me of the negative impact the burglary had on me and my wife (we nearly sold the house after it happened).

So my question is… Has anyone had similar, did the negativity lift?

I’m considering just selling it….

obelix
    Free Member

Jeez, talk about 1st world problems. Just be grateful fella.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can see where you’re coming from.

Either get rid, or perhaps strip inspect and rebuild. It might help you feel as though you have some control things.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spin
    Free Member

More importantly, have you replaced your toothbrush?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Having your home violated is hardly a “first world problem”.

If you’ve got beyond the house etc making you feel that way you will with the bike but, that said I assume you’ve replaced it by now so personally I’d get it sold rather than wait to find out.

jekkyl

yeah strip it, have it powder coated a new colour and do it up as something different, singlespeed/rigid/tourer or something.

obelix
    Free Member

Had my car stolen. Got it back. Made me appreciate car more.

Junkyard
    Free Member

We all react differently to things and having a car stolen is not the same as having your home violated/robbed

rene59
    Free Member

We all react differently to things and having a car stolen is not the same as having your home violated/robbed

Erm, ok, if that first part is true then how can you determine the second part?

OP – bikes should be a good thing right? If this one isn’t then just sell it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Unless i am very much mistaken these are two different things- one is a stolen bike the other is a home robbed/violated – just because you may react the same to them both does not make them the same thing.
    Its hardly a controversial point I just made and TBH I dont even understand what point you are trying to make here [ no offence meant there]

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nah I’m with you Chilled76 – had my bike stolen a few years ago now, it was hard to get over, especially as it was uninsured, I never got it back, but I had decided pretty early on that if it came back Id sell it and get something else.

chilled76
    Free Member

I agree junkyard, having had cars nicked in the past its different to having someone enter your private residence in the middle of the night. Anyone who’s been burgled will vouch it affects you for a while afterwards, lying awake listening to every small noise etc.

Having an alarm fitted helps etc straight after but it’s not nice.

My post wasn’t intended to spark a debate about the ins and outs of different thefts anyway, I was wandering if anyone else had experienced similar and if they felt different about the bike after a while?

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers PJay

edhornby

Don’t worry about it, put it on the classifieds and either replace or use it to do some decorating in the house to help move on from the robbery

cynic-al
    Free Member

My wife was kidnapped and once we got her back I just went off her.

Kunstler

I can’t relate directly to having something stolen returned though I have experienced what it’s like to be burgled. I do know that I’ve come to feel negatively about things that I relate to past experience (though mine was more to do with places reminding me of someone no longer in my life). On the one hand I would say that if you can, find a way to take ownership of how you feel about the bike again – like doing something amazing with it that goes beyond what you’ve done before totally transcends thoughts about it’s past. On the other, it’s just a bike and you can do those things on another bike.

chilled76
    Free Member

Sod it I’m going to sell it. Anyone want a medium banshee spitfire?

belugabob
    Free Member

If the insurance company paid out, then it technically belongs to them – give it back and your conscience is clear 😉

hanchurch
    Free Member

I had my car stolen in what the police called a steal to order burglary ( and my wife’s) it was recovered through tracker the same night but hers was a total loss. I was just glad to have the car back and can tell the story that it lost the police at + 150mph in a chase. We had sold the house that night (probably why we didn’t hear anything after celebrating!) but if we had have stayed in the house I think things would have been tough, my wife did not want to sleep there for a few nights after. Keep the bike and rember the good times on it, don’t let them wreck it for you.

ctk
    Free Member

Don’t fret about it just sell it.

tenfoot

Wow….I had my bikes stolen a year ago, and have assumed I will never see them again.

Mine were taken from my garage in the middle of the night, and I too had a problem thinking about someone being on my property . I didn’t want to be in the garage for a couple of weeks, so I can imagine it must be much worse being a house that’s been burgled. You do have a feeling that you’re being watched, and I too used to listen out for noises.

Is it worth holding on to it for a little while, just to see if your feelings changed towards it? Maybe take it out to try to recapture the magic.

I’ve always wished I could have at least one of my bikes back, but hadn’t really considered the emotions it might stir up.

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers for the input, that’s exactly it… I’d put it all to rest and its what it’s stirred back up.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just sell it.

Not being dismissive, I’ve been done over and had my bikes nicked. I understand how I might see them as tainted if they came back.

Sell it and move on.

metalheart
    Free Member

Same but different. I had ~500 CDs nicked and about 25 of them turned up at a secondhand shop a couple weeks later. I got them back (just the 25) eventually after 6 months or whatever and they were covered in fingerprint dusting. As a result the majority of them were sold on as they just triggered the bad feelings associated with being broken into.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Sod it I’m going to sell it. Anyone want a medium banshee spitfire?

cracking stealth advert….

😉

teasel
    Free Member

TBH I dont even understand what point you are trying to make here

If your original post read like this…

We all react differently to things but I don’t believe having a car stolen is the same as having your home violated/robbed, YMMV

…there wouldn’t have been an issue for Rene. As it stands your post is hypocritical as you come across as if you presume to know what is or isn’t important to Obelix. Or you’re simply telling him that a having a car stolen isn’t as bigger deal as being burgled, which may not be how he feels.

Don’t know how I’d feel as I’ve yet to have anything stolen. Wrong, I know, but I chuckled when I read the OP but only because it reminded me of that Family Guy sketch…

“Careful, Barnaby. The mother won’t take it back if you touch it.”

Or something.

Anyway, a sad situation to find yourself in, OP. I’d probably sell it on, too, if I felt the same as you about the bike.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

What beluga said – if insurance paid out its their bike not yours anyway.

If it is legitimately yours, sell it, doesn’t matter what caused the negative connotations if it doesn’t make you feel good (isn’t that the point of a bike?) get rid.

alimarsh
    Free Member

Get rid, I had a bike stolen and returned eventually ( purely by luck as happened to see a lad riding it so followed him and phoned the police from outside his house) but having heavily modified it and loved it before it was stolen, the sense of violation aand unease I’d felt when it was stolen were brought up again by having it returned so I just flogged to a mate on the cheap

teasel
    Free Member

as bigger deal

Heh

My mistake…

wallop

Jeez, talk about 1st world problems. Just be grateful fella.

Wow, such empathy!

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ Teasel
    I said they were two different things – this is irrefutable. They may be similar, they are, but they are not the same thing. How can this be argued? Do you believe these two different things are the same thing?

I said we will all react differently – which would include reacting the same to them both or differently. ie some will care and some wont or as you suggest I say it YMMV.
    You have just basically written what I said
    At least this time I know what your point was 😉

teasel
    Free Member

Do you believe these two different things are the same thing?

I’ve experienced neither so I’m not really in a position to make comparisons. If both were stolen from a locked garage I see little difference in the vehicle type making a difference to the feeling of loss or rejection upon return, or conversely the feeling of euphoria because you have “your baby” back. I don’t know, all hypothetical.

This is what you wrote in response to Obelix. If you’re allowing for individual reaction and response then it should’ve read…

We all react differently to things but having a car stolen is not the same as having your home violated/robbed, in my view. Clearly you feel differently.

I think Rene was just pointing out the contradictory nature of the original post as it stands. I think it’s weird you can’t spot that.

Anyway, we’ve cleared up that we’re all unique in what we interpret as important.

Sorry for the derail. I’ll back out now… 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

You dont need to experience them to know they are two different things, it is why we use different words to describe them.

if you’re allowing for individual reaction

We all react differently to things – so this was unclear 😯
    Its getting silly now.

Its not really contradictory as all you have added is stuff that is self evident- of course they feel differently or there would be no debate and their different view is above mine.
    I cannot spot the contradictory nature as its not there

We can react differently to different things.

That is as brief as it gets and its not contradictory to say this. its self evidently true as life and this thread shows

teasel
    Free Member

Like I wrote, weird you don’t see the error in the post Rene pulled you up for.

But agree – what a ****ing weird thread.

I’m oot.

ninfan
    Free Member

My wife was kidnapped and once we got her back I just went off her.

Suppose it depends if they had ridden it

I mean, after you got it back, every time you rode it, it would be difficult not to think that someone else has ridden it too, what they had done, where they had gone, it would always be there as a nagging thought at the back of your head, it would never be quite the same again would it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m oot.

Do you mean it this time?

I find it weird you need to reword it to be identical and think two things are not different

We can react differently to different things.

This is irrefutable but I dont find it weird that you didnt stick to your word nor that you had another sidebar with me

Some things are so predictable it is almost tiresome 😛

wrecker
    Free Member

Think of riding the bike as punishing it. Naughty bike.

chilled76
    Free Member

Guys thanks for the replies, I’ve decided to sell it as its just a bike and its provoking unwanted memories.

fasthaggis

Ride it like someone stole it 😉

TimothyD
    Free Member

How much do you want for it?

I could be interested in it…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Stolen bike returned, negative emotions towards it?’ is closed to new replies.