Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stolen bike returned !!!
  • sputnik
    Free Member

My son’s Spesh Hardrock was stolen from our home on the 5th of October, I notified the police and got a case number. Then last weekend I was feeling like a quick feed before I had to set off to London for a concert. So off to the kebab shop at the top of our road. Had a quater pounder with cheese, walked out of shop and see my mate across the road at the pub. Quickly joined him for a swift pint and walked back home. In front of me I see two yoofs. Only 50 yards from our driveway!! One walking and one on a black Hardrock. I walk up to them and see a XT rear derrailleur , Ritchey WCS seatpost and Clarks lock on grips with blue collars.
    I grab the bike’s handlebars and tell the yoof to get off my bike. He refuses saying his dad gave him the bike. I tell him to get off my bike and that his dad can come and ask for it back.
    I tell him I have told the police about every little detail of the bike , cos there are lots since I built it up.
    Yoof get off and laughs, saying he will come back for it. I tell him to **** off.

Off to concert I go on the train with a big smile and fuelled by a burger, a beer and a recovered bike in the shed, and a lot of adrenaline pumping through my veins 🙂

fondule
    Free Member

Well Done! I don’t know what I would have done in that situation… Probably weigh the yoofs up and see how that goes..haha

amedias
    Free Member

saying he will come back for it.

sadly, he (or his mates) might do just that…

A friend of mine recovered his bike in a similar manner a few years back, only to have his garage broken into a week later and the same bike AND the other 3 stolen and ‘Ha Ha’ graffiti’d on the wall 🙁

On the plus side the scrote was eventually caught, but the bikes never turned up.

sputnik
    Free Member

Fondule, was too big lads, about 18 rears old I guess. I am 6foot4 and was angry/assertive which put them on the back foot straight away. Hope they wont be back, cos there are lots of bikes in our shed. Amedias, my son’s bike was leaning against the wall outside the shed where he left it after returning from school. So hopefully bikes inside shed will be safe, it is a brick building with a strong door.

amedias
    Free Member

I hope they don’t come back, and while getting caught up in the tale of woe I forgot to congratulate you – Well Done!

charliedontsurf

I just get my iPhone out, flip it to video, hold it down by my side… and then approach and have the conversation. Works every time.

The police can see the faces, hear the threats, and have always recognised the people.

MussEd
    Free Member

Well done on the retrieval, and well done for not doing the easy thing and chinning him whilst you were at it.

Have you told the feds though? If he’s riding it around the area it was stolen he’s hardly likely to be a member of one of these steal to order gangs you hear mention of, but you never know?

footflaps

Get one of these for your shed:

sputnik
    Free Member

Charlie, I did just that when he told me that he will return. When they realised what I was doing they flicked their hoodies on but I got a good enough photo to keep them worried. MussEd, when I phoned the police to tell them they can close the case I was told that the case was already closed … 😕
    Not good, less than two weeks after I report a crime and the police decide it is not worthy enough to keep alive.
    Deffo think the lads are local(ish).
    Footlaps, this was a wake up call to step security.

enfht
    Free Member

Sir you are a fool.

The moment he taunted you that he’ll be back should have been the moment you restrained him and called the fuzz.

Now you’ve let him get away and he’ll probably keep his promise.

Nice one.

footflaps

The moment he taunted you that he’ll be back should have been the moment you restrained him and called the fuzz.

Not worth the risk of being assaulted / stabbed etc over a bike….

He did the right thing – got the bike back for minimal risk and has a photo of the guys.

scotia
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    Sir you are a fool.

Now you’ve let him get away and he’ll probably keep his promise.

Nice one.

seriously? He did say that there were two approx 18yr olds..you would have restrained the both of them would you? As footflaps says he did the right thing.

strange to call the OP a fool tbh..

sputnik
    Free Member

I’m pleased with the way I handled it. Most importand thing is that I got the bike back. Secondly, I can ID this lad now and he knows it, so hopefully he is thinking twice before he starts snooping around again.
    Still can’t believe my luck and his stupidity for cruising past the crime scene so soon after the theft.
    I have to admit that when he started with his taunting that my anger level stepped up quite a bit , but glad I got the (camera) phone out and not the fists.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Not good, less than two weeks after I report a crime and the police decide it is not worthy enough to keep alive.

what do you think keeping a case “alive” as opposed to filed means? What enquiries do you think the police had outstanding that would take more than 2 weeks? Were there lots of witnesses to take statements from? Do you have CCTV? Does your neighbour? Was there anything left that might have provided forensic evidence? I am going to guess the answer to all is no, as is the case in so many thefts, and I would be surprised if it took them 2 weeks to file the job. Many get filed straight away.

Filed means not being actively investigated. If theres no lines of enquiry left then theres nothing to investigate. Its still recorded though, so when Jonny Sh1tbag is stopped riding your bike or seen going into Cash Convertors, or its found during a house search it can still be checked and identified, but I’m not sure what else you were expecting?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

What area and where’s the pic of said scunterbag!?

Nonsense
    Free Member

I’d ask to speak to the officer investigating an tell them you have a photo. They’ll probably want to go and lift him and take a statement from you.

sbob
    Free Member

Great news, hope your boy is happy to have his bike back. 🙂

binners

Brilliant news! But I can’t believe nobodies yet mentioned….

😉

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Maybe cuz it iz oldskool newz. Novadays rounde theze parts!

;D

landcruiser
    Free Member

Glad you got your bike back !!

Footflaps.. That Shed Shackle 😯 Sinister name… Sort of item mentioned on late night crime dramas !

smiff
    Free Member

well done, if i tried that i’d probably lose the iphone too (i don’t have an iphone).

the DIY return.. i’d go with “bike unstolen” or something 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stolen bike returned !!!’ is closed to new replies.