Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stolen 17 years ago and I still miss her (Handbuilt content)
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

My beautiful Reynolds 653 Bromwich. She raced in every NEMBA series and was then stolen as I used a cash machine.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

geetee1972
    Free Member

That is/was lovely – this is a bit like a missing person after 20 years, you have to pressume that they are no longer physically with us even though their spirit still lives on. Maybe she is still being used as a commuter for someone who has no idea what they have or what it meant to you!

Anyway, very lovely; a classic of its time but was 653 in production 20 years ago or did you mean it was made of 531?

toys19
    Free Member

I feel your pain, in 1989 a scrote stole my Curtis Expert BMX, lovingly built up form parts by me, funded by my paper round in 1984..

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Definately 653, built in 1990

geetee1972
    Free Member

My mistake – it’s 631 that was the later introduction, air hardening material.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

I had one of them!
    A Bromwich Cyclone 2, built out of 531 Designer Select.
    It was a lovely, lovely bike, no wonder you still miss it.
    Mine was a black to silver fade in the same style as yours.
    Thanks for posting 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ringle! 😀

Izzat Suntour XC Pro components on it?

What a lovely bike. Theiving bastids. 😥

woodsman
    Free Member

It just might be worth putting a similar post on Retrobike, someone may have seen it since.

The design, rear triangle particularly looks very similar to an Overbury…..

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Elfin- XC pro throughout, Odessey aeriator seatpost (pump in a post that actually worked) and a filleted brazed allin one handlebar/stem combo; she was my lady

avdave2

I used to ride with toe clips off road and still miss them in a way. I liked that my I could just pull my foot out backwards rather than a rotation in spd’s and I only ever had them tight enough to keep my foot in the right place on the pedal. The downside was if you wanted to ride on the flat side as the toe clip would always catch on something. Maybe with the better shoes and pedals around now I should give flats another go.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elfin- XC pro throughout

I’m so chuffed I got that right. 🙂 Bit geeky I know. 😳

It was the brake levers that made me think it was, and the cage of the rear mech. Different to Shimano. Excellent groupset that, I think it was even more spensive than Deore XT at the time. Is that a Scott Pedersen front brake? With a spirally thingy that increased power as it came closer to the rim?

See, I know stuff, me. 😉

Blower
    Free Member

nice bike.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Elfin, you are too geeky. Pedersens on the front, randomly silver deore on the rear while I saved up for self energising Suntours; all paid for pre girl/booze/leaving home when every penny could go on bikes

GlitterGary
    Free Member

My girlfriend was stolen from me about 17 years ago too. I don’t think she was handbuilt, nor was she as pretty as your bike, but she had a nice set of saddlebags.

Ah, good times… 😥

superfli
    Free Member

I had a blinged up custom Orange X2 that was nicked (11years ago). Middleburn chainset, Hope hubs+BB, lovely looking bike.
    They did me a huge favour, it was sh*te 😆 Yes I was gutted that I’d spent loads of money on it, but it was a URT FS, and hence was a cr*p ride. The pivots always loosened too.
    Got insurance money and bought myself a Stumpy FSR, not looked back since 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stolen 17 years ago and I still miss her (Handbuilt content)’ is closed to new replies.