Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • stocksbridge??? what's it like?
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

I currently live in a nor particularly nice bit of Sheffield and have the option of moving to stocksbridge – anyone have any experience they’d like to share?

It will make getting out to ride much easier – but will increase my commute time into sheffield city centre massively . . . . Hmmmm

jimmy

It’s not too far a commute from there if I remember right. Don’t think there’s much there but like you say, close to some very good riding.

EDIT: I nearly moved to outibridge – is that on the way? That’s where I’m thinking if.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

It’s a bit further out from Oughtibridge but I that direction

soulwood
    Free Member

Stocksbridge is very villagey, in that everybody knows everybody,which can be nice if you like that sort of thing. There can be some trust issues of newcomers as some beleive you must be a paedophile for moving there voluntarily, wanting to “disappear” as it were. Commuting is fine as long as the only two roads to Sheffield aren’t blocked or delayed by an rtc or roadworks. Riding off road options are good. Looked at it myself when I moved to the area but settled in South Sheffield S8 instead.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Hopefully I won’t get that label – being a single mother I’ve had many labels but not that one!

nealglover
    Free Member

Currently having a large shopping/office complex being built where part of the old Tata Steelworks were.

Quite nice countryside nearby, but not keen on the actual place itself personally.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I’m hoping the regeneration of that old site brings a bit of life to the place. And the talk of the rail/tram line that will go into nunnery square in Sheffield – will hopefully take some of the commuter traffic…Maybe?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I’d be so close to bolsterstone though I think I may just pretend I live there!

philxx1975
    Free Member

I live in Oughtibridge

for christs sake there is no reason to ever consider Stocksbridge as a location to continue life , its a complete shithole

the redevelopment of TATA just means you will find a local B&M if thats your thing then fine.

riklegge

A friend of mine lives there, right next to the reservoir. Seems nice and rural, and getting out towards Bolsterstone is very easy. Good riding at Wharncliffe too.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

There will be a big bike shop there . . . But yes I know what you mean philxx1975

adjustablewench
    Free Member

There will be a big bike shop there . . . But yes I know what you mean philxx1975. I have a good friend in bolsterstone so I know more about that than stocksbridge

mickmcd
    Free Member

move to penis….town just up the hill

it has a train station to get you into sheff

mickmcd
    Free Member

oh and it snows 3 days a year here too so factor that in if your considering the valley

nealglover
    Free Member

Snow tyres obviously 🙂

jackthedog
    Free Member

I work in Stocksbridge, and live fairly close.

It’s a small town, and it behaves like one. Two good butchers. No good pubs. Everyone knows everyone. The new retail identikit thing will likely tear the arse out of the high street. Things aren’t looking good for the already diminished steelworks. On paper the bus links to and from Sheffield are great. In practise it’s a soul destroying process. If a rail link happens before 2020 I’ll eat this post. If you drive into Sheffield at morning rush hour, be prepared to queue a lot. I’ve known traffic back up as far as Oughtibridge. It’s rare, but it can happen.

Cheap for a reason.

But it’s about priorities, innit. Wharncliffe is on your doorstep, Cut Gate is a few minutes up the Transpennine Trail, a National hill climb course starts right in the centre, you’re surrounded by great road cycling country…

antigee

lived in Wharncliffe Side (the place with the speed camera and a pub halfway between Oughtibridge and Stockbridge) many years. Mum in Law lives in Stocksbridge but isn’t from Stocksbridge I ran Beaver Scouts and some other community stuff in Stocksbridge
    Might be out of date living in Aus’ for last 3years – best option for travel into centre of sheffield is the tramlink buses – a very regular through ticketed service that meets the tram at the Meanwood terminus – possible to cycle or drive and park at tram terminus but the A6102 is a horrible road and the alternatives are time consuming and hilly – I’d budget 50mins min typically 1 hr into city centre

Stocksbridge has changed a lot in last 10-15years was a very old fashioned declining industrial town with aging population and those that weren’t too old had huge chips on their shoulders and thought picking a fight was a way of life. Now more of a dormitory town for commuters and self employed people with white vans
    Secondary school is now one of the better ones in Sheffield, primary schools are goodish. Swimming pool being reopened by a community group as SCC thinks shouldn’t be part of Sheffield and everyone can drive 10 miles to facilities, dreary centre that will be impacted by new development good butchers, lidl, green grocers – some social housing with a few problems but nothing exceptional- only night life I can think of is the folk club – good pubs in nearby villages
    fantastic countryside for riding but can be hard to link stuff without riding on the road, about a 30minute drive to Ladybower thru the back roads – 15mins to Langsett

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Thanks that doesn’t sound as gloomy as some! I shifted my working hours to 8 – 3.30 which means I tend to miss the worst of the rush hour I hope that would still be the case from out there.

I had thought 50 mins to an hour – but for the days I was in the office all day I’d try to ride in, probably through bolsterstone along the road to Oughtibridge and then through the woods coming out near the new sainsbury. The road sections wouldn’t be great but it’s a ride I’ve done plenty of times.

I will also be starting a new role in the new year that will mean I am out of the office quite a bit covering the whole of Yorkshire – I think it will be easier to get to the m1 north bound from stocksbridge than it is for me atm

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘stocksbridge??? what's it like?’ is closed to new replies.