• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stockport to Southport Road Bike Route
  • monksie
    Free Member

Does anybody know of a nice road bike route from Stockport (Marple) to Southport (Ainsdale Beach)? I know a pretty straight A road route but it’s not a pleasant journey. I don’t have a GPS either which is a bit of a disappointment.
    I’m going over on Saturday morning if that makes any difference to any possible suggestions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

does the trans Pennine trail not go most of that way ?

It does Stockport to Southport its theoretically all signed

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/d/embed?mid=z_HViLdpHOBk.kVYSNJxbzZn4

simondbarnes

I was just about to suggest that. Fine on a road bike if it’s dryish.

monksie
    Free Member

Apologies. I was thinking of road rather than ‘off road light’ but thank you anyway.

jonk

TPT is fine in places for a road bike but there are some parts that are quite muddy / gravelly etc in particular, sections of the mersey river, Lymm way and to the west of Warrington. Once you get to speake its 90% tarmac to southport.

squin
    Free Member

I don’t really know the Stockport to Altrincham but, but from Alti:
    Dunham Massey to Warburton Bridge, through back of Birchwood park, through Croft, Newton-le-Willows, east lands road to Rainford bypass (cycle paths down both and nice new tarmac on lots of it),back roads through Aughton to Scarisbrick, turn left towards Ainsdale.

It’s 33 miles from Birchwood as that is my occasional bike commute.

Job done.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Sheffield to formby via Stockport before now.

I cut out onto the Cheshire plains and up to billings, ormskirk them across the moss. Was following a gpx though but if you note down the town you need yo head for it’ll be reet.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll plot a route.

IHN

Stockport Southport; it just sums up all the glamour of Paris Nice, doesn’t it? 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stockport to Southport Road Bike Route’ is closed to new replies.