Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stockport to Edinburgh road cycling route.
  • monksie
    Free Member

For my next fund raising (ad)venture, I’m going to ride the above. Is there any suggestions for the flattest route possible that you’d like to offer up?
    My London to Manchester route was a disaster incorporating going right through the middle of the Peak District so I’m going to take advice for this one.
    I’m not too bothered about scenery, quiet roads etc. I’d just like to get it done in the shortest time I can. Definitely in one day to make it a challenge.

scotroutes

Sounds awful.

monksie
    Free Member

It was lovely until I got to Matlock.

scotroutes

No – I mean planning a route that just gets it done as quickly as possible. Doesn’t sound like much fun to me.

Anyway, my stock answer for the Scottish part is to head to Gretna after Carlisle, then a few back roads to Canonbie, a wee bit of the A7, then turn off at Langholm and follow the B709 through Innerleithen and then cut off onto the B7007 to Middleton and then the A7 into Edinburgh. Quiet roads and a few easy hills. You’ll probably hate it. You do get to have a break at a Buddhist Monastery though.

imnotverygood

M6/M74 should be ideal for your purposes.
    edit followed by the M8

AlasdairMc

I rode the A6 (and then whatever it turned into) as part of my LeJog for days on end, and it was fine. Over the mighty Shap (which in reality was a piece of piss) then we cut off at Abington for Carnwath. From there, head East to Balerno then hit Edinburgh.

lightman
    Free Member

Google maps are very good for bike routes, Ive used them several times and they usually give a few choices.

monksie
    Free Member

You’re really not very good are you imnototverygood. The clue’s in the title but ‘hahaha’ anyway. ….moving on. Thanks to everybody else for the suggestions so far. Anybody else?

Stu_N

No idea South of Lancaster but A6 from Lancaster, probably OK as most traffic is on the motorway. Then M74 relief road? Parallel with M74 relief road from Gretna to Moffat/ then take the A701 to Leadburn junction – one moderate climb over Devil’s Beeftub then long generally downhill run to Leadburn junction (just of Penicuick). Take the b-road from there through Howgate and into Edinburgh on A703/A702. Job done.

Probably quickest route – the A70 is pretty hilly and A702 is busy with a lot of HGV traffic and pretty narrow. Don’t really know the A7 route.

crazy-legs

Hey Steve,

Do you follow me on Strava? I did Haydock up to Penrith a couple of weeks ago (Day 5 of my LEJOG), stick in a follow request and then nick the gpx file off there.

From Stockport, I’d go Cheshire Lanes out to Knutsford then north up to High Legh, past Lymm, then Culcheath then sort of thread through in a NNW direction until you pick up the A49 north of Wigan. Through Preston (it’s not *that* bad) then turn right at Broughton and into the back lanes that skirt Lancaster, it’s lovely round there. Or just A6 if you want the most direct route.

Lancaster traffic is currently mental thanks to the building of that new link road from the M6 to Heysham so avoid Lancaster if at all possible. Back roads up through Dolphinholme, Quernmore, Caton FTW.

Pick up the A6 again at Carnforth, that bit is fine then there is some lovely back road stuff up to Kendal (do not do A591 to Kendal on a bike!). Over Shap (long steady drag) through Penrith all A6 is fine then turn left at Plumpton and go up the back road just to the left of the motorway, brings you in at Carlisle.

I’ll do the Manc – Penrith bit with you if you want.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips.
    Hi James. Sounds like a plan. Maybe you’ll stay for a bit longer? All the way maybe?

monksie
    Free Member

The big day is this coming Saturday. The route as yet is still undecided. I better get on with that bit although I’ll probably find Crazy Legs on Strava and then do the Scotland bit as above.

IHN

You, sir, are effing tapped, but you probably knew that 🙂 Is there a sponsorship thing somewhere?

jamiep
    Free Member

From Carlisle, follow the ‘Chase the Sun’ ride route?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Carlisle to Gretna via the M6/M74 service road, B7076 to Moffat then Beeftub road to Edinburgh.

monksie
    Free Member

Corporate (no less) sponsorship through my work for this one Mr N.
    Shelter this time.
    Last time. Retirement after this.

IHN

Ah, gotcha. I’m doing the London Ride 100 in August for Shelter.

monksie
    Free Member

I did it. Never again.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What route? Plenty of good ones

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stockport to Edinburgh road cycling route.’ is closed to new replies.