Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Stinky cycling tops, whats the cure?
  • MicArms

OK, the commute stuff is my older but still perfectly good cycling clobber so I'm loathe to bin it, but even just wearing the tops one way ( for about 80 mins) they absolutey stink. Any ideas ? (Yes I do use persil etc..) IIRC someone on the old forum reccomended somesort of product but I'm bggered if I can remember what it was.
    Cheers..Mick

Dave
    Free Member

wool baselayer may help…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Boil wash them – bugs are living in them or use natural fibres.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I soak mine in a mild solution of Milton fluid then wash as normal

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Stick a capful of Milton fluid in with the wash.

If that doesn't work try burning them……

druidh
    Free Member

Try showering

ojom
    Free Member

Topless. It's the only way to be sure.

druidh
    Free Member

Nuke them from orb…..

nostoc
    Free Member

Dry them on a washing line in sunlight

krixmeister

As Nostoc mentioned – dry on washing line in sunlight is best bet. Biological detergent also helps. Friends here in Singapore swear by using some sort of nappy wash solution as a presoak.

–Kristan

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ditch the man made fibre and go Merino based

Plus change yer diet – the smells that come from out of you are just not right 🙂

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

soap

votchy
    Free Member

Plus change yer diet – the smells that come from out of you are just not right

I'll second that smelly 😀

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Sunlight ? … what is this thing you speak of ?

I got some of that nickwax basewash stuff, it's supposed to help out with the smelly bacteria thing … doesn't, not for me anyway?

franksinatra

I used to get one days commute out of a Helly Hansen, now on Merino and can wear the same top for a week.

senorj

I have a similar problem – stick the offending item in the freezer over night. Apparently it kills off the bacteria that causes the pong.
    It does come back though.(the pong).

I may also try the milton idea – used to work on pissy nappies!!

J.

speaker2animals

Napisan is the product peeps are talking about that is for Terry nappy sanitizing. (so somewhere there must be people not using disposables. Well done those chaps.)

I use it for washing all my gear, good for shorts too as it helps to stop fungal skin infections. Sunlight is very good too when there is some. The fungus and bacteria that grow in pits and groins have evolved for dark damp places. Therefore they are even more sensitive to UV than a lot of flora and fauna.

I have read that a small dose of white vinegar is good for eliminating the whiff. Maybe do a wash of your old tops with vinegar then rewash with Napisan. Should do a reasonable restoration job.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I have successfully removed armpit smells from base layers by soaking in vinegar before washing. The acid in the vinegar kills the bacteria.

No, it doesn't ruin your clothes
    No, it doesn't make them smell
    No, it doesn't affect your washing machine:)

MicArms

OK, so I'll try milton, napisan, vingear then bleach then petrol!! Cheers for the hints guys, much appreicated.
    Ref the wool, yep I've now seen the light over the last year or so, but that's 'for best' riding..

Gilles

yes leave your top overnight in vinegar then wash it. Works but I do have to do that regurlarly. Merino top is the best option though.

MicArms

Stupid question, any type of vinegar, white, clear, brown?

disco_stu
    Free Member

another vote for a merino top, my stuff for commuting gets washed once a week and still seems quite fresh

krixmeister

Balsamic?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Merino.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Balsamic Merino.

I read that the man made fibres are so perfectly smooth that the bacteria just love to adhere to it.
    Merino for commuting, plastic for riding, I bet you do more commuting.
    You'll be interested to know my merino top has beautiful salt trails on the back from wearing a rucsac this week, but it still doesn't smell! I think, though maybe I'm just used to it…

Gilles

cheap white vinegar will do

elaineanne
    Free Member

how about under arm deodoerant…. acid fragrant…lol

MrSparkle

This is what I use for running gear:

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Stinky cycling tops, whats the cure?’ is closed to new replies.