Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stinging nettles
  • tails
    Free Member

Now i like a good sting as much as the next man 😕 but christ this lot that got me tonight think i'd rather be bitten by a viper.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

TIP

Take a sachet or two of vinegar out with you.

When you get badly stung, rip one open and put vinegar on the rash.

Works a treat, but can make you feel hungry 2 miles into a 40 mile ride 👿

RealMan
    Free Member

MTFU, obviously.

Or go faster, I find you dont get stung as much if you just speed through them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tails
    Free Member

MTFU, obviously.

wanna fight 😉

Or go faster, I find you dont get stung as much if you just speed through them.

it was just at the end of the fastish bit i was checking to see if we could take a different route then YIKES!! the bugger wraps its self round my ankle 😆

samuri
    Free Member

sorry, I don't get it. They tingle a bit. Even if you get loads of them.

Jezwick
    Free Member

samuri – Member

sorry, I don't get it. They tingle a bit. Even if you get loads of them.

I don't get the fuss myself, an evening spent with ackey legs and stinging arms is second to none !!!

dano
    Free Member

yeah… you should try riding in south australia… i got bitten by one of these mofo's they are called hopper ants and have a sting and a bite that really hurts like mad… and when there is one on you, there is probably another 5 or 6 crawling up your trouser leg… geez…

http://www.thistasmania.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/jack-jumper-1.jpg

stevomcd
    Free Member

I think we get some kind of special super-strength Alpine variety out here. You just have to brush against one and you come up in blisters within 2 minutes. Mental. It's like being 5 years-old again when being stung by a nettle was the worst thing in the world.

Mof
    Free Member

Hairy legs and arms are a good defence..

tails
    Free Member

special super-strength Alpine variety

there the bastards i'm talking about 😆 no doubt brought over by the same importer as grey squirrels!

Hairy legs and arms are a good defence..

no nothing can defend you from alpine stingers 8)

them ants look fierce he can get back in his nest, thats prob why the aussies so fast on bikes.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

I kind of like the pain/tingle sensation 😳
    Certain sections of Dalby, 3 weeks ago, was getting quite over grown with them. Lots on the arms when leaning into corners.
    Samuri, I once saw a guy fall into a bomb hole filled with nettles. His body was covered in blisters 5 min after he climbed out, OUCH! 😯

tails
    Free Member

I kind of like the pain/tingle sensation

so did i until i met the "Alpine Nettle"

AndyP
    Free Member

what Samuri said. HTFU

LongboardSi
    Free Member

if you are bothered by them they have self-antidote properties. You just need to crush up the leaves and rub the juice on the stings.

If you grab a nettle leaf firmly it won't sting you, so then you just squash it up in your hand. It needs the hairs on the leaf to do the sting, so once it's crushed up they're fine.

ahwiles
    Free Member

nettle tea is delicious,

3 or 4 leaves in a mug, pour on hot water, leave to brew for about a minute, lovely.

(pick the leaves from the top of the nettle, where it's a bit less likely to have been watered by a dog)

there's a nettle patch in my back yard which i tolerate for just this reason…

tails
    Free Member

LongboardSI no i'm not really that bothered by them, was all a bit tongue in check though some people didn't get it.

There great facts though, i knew the hairs did the stinging but the self antidote fact is interesting.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I rolled in a ditch of nettles (by accident) as a kid, wearing only a pair of shorts. I was covered from head to foot in bumps and spent the evening covered in all sorts of lotions to try to help. It's never had the same effect since, these days they just tingle a bit.

woody2000

Nettle fact – the "hair" is in fact a glass (silica) tube. Nice 😕

tinsy
    Free Member

Does wee help like on jelly fish stings?

I have given up with lotions and just relish the fact if my legs and arms are stinging it means I just had some fun…

stumpy01

I react really badly to nettles & insect bites, which is a bit lame in the summer. Even riding through long grass & stuff leaves my legs all covered in itchy bumps for the next week.

I have started wearing my pads when I know it's gonna be overgrown. It's a bit of a chore, but better than scratching your legs to bits for the next week!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stinging nettles’ is closed to new replies.