Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • stinger – noisy?
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a blackspire stinger device. I’ve yet to actually ride it but on turning the cranks in the shed there seems to be a lot of noise coming from the contact iLife chain with roller. Is this normal? Worse when the chain is running in the cutout section if roller. I’m sure I’d read that some people had said it’s silent?

althepal

I had one- wasn’t silent but one the chain is lubed and some it transferred its fine.
    Didn’t notice any major noise when I was riding with it..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

althepal +1

jambon
    Free Member

It should be pretty much silent – is the chain fouling the stinger plate/mount? A rat-a-tat-tat / scraping noise?

fadgadget
    Free Member

The middle ring of your chainset must be 50mm from the centre of your seat tube, then if need be, use one or two washers between the mount and the rubber wheel.
    If the chain overlaps the step on the surface of the wheel, it can cause the chain to run at an angle which can then rub on the shifting pins on the middle chainring.
    Mount the roller as close as you can to the biggest ring, as this can help too.
    Ps! You can always try a subtle inward bend on the bracket if it is grating on the outer plate.

crispy1980
    Free Member

It’s clearing the outer plate as the noise us when the chain is running in the grooved section ofthe roller. Seens to be running on the sloped rather than fully in it. I have also noticed that although the bolt through the rubber wheel is tight, there is sideways play?

fadgadget
    Free Member

If you are running a double chainring set up, the chain should run over the higher part of the roller to take up excess chain slack when in the small chairing, and the chain should drop to the grooved or lower part of the roller when in the middle ring. If you are in the small ring and the chain is in the grooved section, then your stinger is located too far inboard. When in the smallest chainring, check to see if you are in the smaller sprockets at the rear, as this can cause the chain to grate on the shifting ramps and pick up pins, because the chain is running at an angle over them. A little play in the roller is normal, and shouldn’t cause any problems.
    I had this bother using blackspire chainrings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘stinger – noisy?’ is closed to new replies.