Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stilton – How do I know when it's gone off?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

Rummaging through the fridge looking for some lunch. Some salad stuff, and cheeses un-opened from Xmas.

Most in date, but the stilton says end Dec. Coz it’s a mouldy bugger anyway, how do I know if it’s good to eat?

Regular cheese no probs.

Incidentally, I have sliced off a big chunk and taken the outside off and am currently munching away. I may be dead by the time I get to read the replies!

anonymouse
    Free Member

Cheese one month past the “best before” date, especially blue cheese, will be absolutely fine. When it starts to go furry you might want to trim those bits.

ahwiles
    Free Member

when it crawls away on it’s own.

even then, if it’s moving slowly enough for you to catch it, it’s probably ok.

CountZero

My grandad was particularly fond of a spectacularly fragrant Stilton and my gran made him keep it in the shed at the bottom of the garden!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Does it actually go off at all? Clearly if there is mould or something not looking right on the surface, then you can just cut that off and enjoy whats underneath can’t you? Cheese is, after all, a method of preserving milk in the days before fridges.

I regularly have milk in my fridge that’s way beyond the best before date or whatever date is stamped on it, and if it smells and tastes OK, it is OK! Similarly with butter and yogurts, and I have eggs in the fridge for weeks and weeks – I never observe the date stamped on eggs and i’ve never had a rotten one yet.

BigJohn

If it smells like a baby’s nappy it’s getting off.

But with Stilton, as long as you still like the taste, keep eating it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    stumpy01

Even in date, it’s pretty grim stuff. Probably best to just bin it, regardless.

VanHalen

when it crawls away on it’s own.

even then, if it’s moving slowly enough for you to catch it, it’s probably ok.

tee hee. nice to see someone with my own healty attitude towards food.

+1

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m currently working through a jar of stilton that you can eat with a spoon 😈

righog
    Free Member

I used to keep a big Blue in the Freezer and lop bits off as required, It was in there a good few years. I am not dead.

D0NK

when it goes dodgy colours, it’s supposed to look an inedible creamy white with mouldy green/blue, I’d only worry if there’s orange or yellow or similar in there.

I’m currently working through a jar of stilton that you can eat with a spoon

dribble

had a camembert in the fridge over christmas, stunk the kitchen out everytime the door was opened, mrs was made up when I actually used it. Wasn’t too impressed that I baked it and eat it with a whole bulb of garlic roasted in honey, ,she then complained I stunk for several days while I sweated all that lovely garlicness out of my pores.
    Nice!

GrahamS

All fine as long as you sterilise it during consumption with copious amounts of good LBV port 😀

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’m alive!

Went very nicely on some digestives, that blend of salty cheese on a sweet biscuit mmmmmm.

More regular cheeses enjoyed with some of next door’s home made picalilli. NB they gave me a jar, honest, I didn’t break in and steal it, although I might have to do a dawn raid as this jar is now empty.

Sandwich

Over the border free-trader Captain or part of enforcement?

z1ppy

that’s good to know as I don’t like the stuff but just bought some ‘bargain’ stuff to make pie (with added beef) thats got today date on it for use…

(I will accept that soft/mouldy cheese does compliment meat)

tonyd

If it gets to that nasty yellow, slightly spongey stage I bin it but it doesn’t normally last that long!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Orangey yellow fuzzy bits = no go, for me – that’s too far gone.

White furry stuff = trim it off, and eat the blue goodness underneath.

(or if its roquefort, the green goodness)

I do like a bit of blue cheese, gromit.

thepurist

Mary Hinge – Member

I’m alive!

I enjoyed a nice ripe blue at Xmas a few years ago, then spent most of the night barely winning the battle to keep my stomach contents on the inside of my body. The sis-in-law’s BF had been enjoying it with me, but wasn’t so lucky. Neither was the bog he nearly made it to…

So, Mary Hinge, don’t count any success until it’s made it all the way through your system – going one way only.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stilton – How do I know when it's gone off?’ is closed to new replies.