Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Still suffering from severe bout of chainslap?
  • rhysyd
    Free Member

Have a lizard skin chainstay protector but still getting really bad chainslap? Only seems to have started after I fixed a puncture any ideas?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Singlespeed

HTH

Liftman

Clutch mech

rhysyd
    Free Member

Erm..

rickon
    Free Member

Only seems to have started after I fixed a puncture any ideas?

Have you got a clutch mech? Have you turned it off when taking the wheel out? You need to turn it back on.

z1ppy

Off-hand just because you removed the back wheel, there should be no obvious reason (I can think of) why that would cause chainslap. Unless you’ve a clutch rear mech, and have switched off the clutch mechanism, to remove the rear wheel (as required) and not switched it back on afterwards

See the Shimano clutch mech (sram’s are different), notice the grey lever in the “on” position above the top jockey wheel, it has an off position 90 degrees (or there abouts) clockwise

gonzy
    Free Member

if its a non-clutch mech then get a clutch mech or a blackspire stinger to take up the chain slack

patriotpro
    Free Member

balance-bike

rhysyd
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, Ive got a boardman fs 2014 so its the..

SRAM X7 2×10 trigger gear shifters
    SRAM X7 TYPE 2 10 speed clutch rear derailleur

Another thing, when changing into high gear the chain comes completely off the rear bit and jams inbetween the plastic bit.
    (still a newb)

cheers lads

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Hmm, clutch mech then but not with a switch. Is the wheel definitely in properly? Try slackening the qr off, and pushing down on the bike to compress the suspension a touch then re-tighten. You didn’t by any chance use the lock button on the mech to hold the arm forward then forget to turn it off did you?

eulach

Ive got a boardman ffs

ftfy

wonnyj
    Free Member

Chain too long?

matt_outandabout

It sounds like in changing your puncture, you have something misaligned. It could be just a simple cable out its stop on the frame or mech, wheel wonky in the frame, chain not on the mech jockey wheel or similar. It could also be that the mech is now misaligned somewhat more permanently by being bent itself, bent mech hanger or broken spring. Go and be really fussy in looking it over, and follow a couple of you tube vids on how to sort you rear mech /gears out.

rickon
    Free Member

Also – if you can, take some photos of frame from the top, of the back of the bike. Showing the cassette, the chainstays, the QR and the mech.

Post them up on here, and we’ll be able to take a look.

rhysyd
    Free Member

Nice one for the help lads, I could look for hours on end but when you haven’t got much a clue its a pain in the arse! anyway here are some pics.. so do you think its worth buying one of these chain tensioners or shouldn’t I need one?

also whats bad about boardman bikes. it was my first purchase and I thought for £900 it was a bargain?

thanks for the help

wukfit
    Free Member

I’d say judging by the first pic you mech hanger may be slightly bent, but that could just be the angle and light
    The screws marked H and L are the screws that limit the mechs movement range (aptly named limit screws) correctly adjusted these will stop you shifting off the cassette at the top and bottom
    Nothing particularly wrong with Boardman,it’s more the place that sells them
    For the money seems alright though?
    It does have Avid brakes fitted which are a PITA to bleed, and you’d be better of replacing them with a set of Deores when they start to need a service IMO

z1ppy

With a clutch type mech you shouldn’t need a chain tensioner
    The limiter screws (“H” and “L”) need to be adjusted to stop the bike going off the “high” gears into the plastic guard (the big gears on the rear are actually the low gears & so the L screw is what needs to be adjusted). See this Video (though I’d say you can do it without removing the gear cable)
    None of what you’ve said suggest to me the mech hanger is bent, and the photo can be misleading (I could be wrong).

I’d suggest going and talking to the mechanic in Halford branch you bought it from, to ask them to setup the rear mech inner limit properly and ask about the sudden increase of chainslap (maybe the mech has taken a bash and isn’t performing correctly)

Or if you tell us your general location, maybe some-one can recommend a reputable shop to ask at…

Nowt wrong with Boardman bikes, only bike snobs and forum ‘funny men’ would suggest otherwise.

eulach

Sorry, it was a flippant remark posted late at night, unnecessary and not even funny.

scaredypants

not even funny

I chuckled – was clearly a joke so don’t let yourself be browbeaten over it

rhysyd
    Free Member

They don’t look straight actually,,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Still suffering from severe bout of chainslap?’ is closed to new replies.