Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Still stolen, still gutted….
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Sorry but I need to keep posting this, as its one of the few things I can do to try and get these bikes back…
    my wifes bike

Mine

Gnnr

You need to keep posting the "When, Where & How" info too. So people based in the area can keep an eye out.

Good luck

tinsy
    Free Member

OK, good point, stolen from Leigh on Sea, Essex last Friday during the daytime..

salad_dodger

Just wondered if the police ever came round to visit you like you were expecting? Only ask as they couldn't even be arsed to ring me when I had £8k worth of bikes stolen from my house! Can't actually report crime in my local police station – I went in and they gave me a number to ring instead, but I live in Bristol and the filth couldn't care less about crime here.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Its a damn shame to lose a bike as nice as that Carrera. Might have done you a favour with the other one though if you were insured.

Thats a bump BTW.

haddock
    Free Member

Amazing how the response varies from area to area, my garage got broken into, (bike was heavily chained, so they only got my seatclamp). Rang the cops – Forensics officer there within the hour looking for prints etc. Next day later a courtesy call at the house from local Community support officers and then two phone calls from victim support. Not bad for a force with one of the worst performance figures – they must be trying around here these days!

Tinsy, I feel for you. Have you given the frame numbers to the cops? They may get them back.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yes they came out that night to do the finger prints, and they came around on the Sunday to take a statment from me…

My house was burgled last November, so maybe they were more sympathetic, however I did have to ring them as they were an hour later than planned.

That sucks about actually going to a station and then given a number it all seems so wrong…

When I tried to ring my local station to find out if they were coming, it took explaining the whole thing to 3 different people.
    The police were nice enough, and very sympathetic, I think they could sense I was absolutely livid and very much a man on the edge, not with them you nderstand, but the theiving scum bags who has the bikes.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yep given them everything I can, not like you can get a Tinbred frame like that anymore, and it had been polished by hand by the previous owner so in itself was a one off… even right down to the front wheel built up special with anodized nipples it was about as individual as a bike gets.

Even the wifes Carrera wasnt how it would come from Halfords, I had only just built it up from classifieds and CRC Wiggle etc, having all the receipts will help me on that one I guess…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Just a thought tinsy, it was only a few weeks back when you were posting pics of that Inbred left right and centre on here, in any of those posts did you hint at your address etc?

haddock
    Free Member

Just a thought tinsy, it was only a few weeks back when you were posting pics of that Inbred left right and centre on here, in any of those posts did you hint at your address etc?

Rather worrying! But seen as I got followed home when driving back from a trail center, It wouldn't suprise me.

tinsy
    Free Member

kingtut, I ask myself all that sort of question all the time, and its keeping me awake at night going over and over anything thats happened recently & no I dont think I did, however I am pretty sure they came for that bike and got the wifes as a bonus.

When I got burgled last year it was the same, am now wondering if I have been targetted, they got some flippin lovely stuff of mine out of the house.

They were the first 2 they could get out as it cramped in there, but they left my full sus and a mint MK1 raleigh chopper, all bikes now live indoors.

tinsy
    Free Member

I do always leave my e mail in my profile, can an home address be found out through that?

Ferk, I got Essex in my profile, but thats not enough info is it???

RoterStern
    Free Member

Rather worrying! But seen as I got followed home when driving back from a trail center, It wouldn't suprise me.

How long ago was that? There is probably your culprit.

tinsy
    Free Member

roter, that was haddock got followed back not me….

haddock
    Free Member

Tinsy – I know its a bit late, but for gods sake fit an anchor plate inside the house and chain them up with a bolt cutter resistant motorbike chain. I got my garage wired into the house alarm, screwed the garage side door closed and fitted a garage door defender (for the up and over) – but I should have done all this beforehand, i'm always driving around with posh bikes on my car roof – should have expected it.

haddock
    Free Member

The 'follow' was me, spotted two scroats behind me, and actually thought about driving past the turn into my estate. Instead I convinced myself I was being paranoid and just drove to my house, the passenger pointed as I turned in and the car swung in behind me, no indicator – really dodgy. I chose to ignore it – burgled three nights later, whilst we were in. They didn't take anything else – just after the bikes.

Sorry tinsy – didn't mean to jack your thread, I'll post about being followed on a new one tonight, might make people more aware.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yep, its like that all the time, we do ice cream runs out as a family, we go for bike rides, I live in a fairly prominent position other than just riding hacks we are easy anough to spot and trace…

I am really gutted, all the money in the world wont make this better, and I still have to sort out the insurance etc so no idea if I can get the right sort of value for the bikes, mine had taken me years of wheeling and dealing to get it up to the spec I had it as money isnt exactly free flowing in our household.

1 thing for sure whatever money I do get back is going on sorting out a new and very secure shed/workshop.

MrAgreeable

one of the few things I can do

Other things you could try, if you haven't already:

Set "On-One Tinbred" as an eBay favourite search and a Google query. If you've got an eBay account and a Google account these are dead easy to do.

Put up "stolen" posts on all the local MTB forums, Biketragic, Bikegaydar, etc.

Email your local bike shops or drop flyers round with a detailed description of the bike (any distinguishing features like dents, damage, quirky component choices (aside from those weirdy upside-down forks 😉 ) and pictures.

Good luck, it's good to see someone making an effort to get their bike back instead of just sitting back and waiting for the insurance cash.

tinsy
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable, yep been to a few of the local shops, gave police pictures of the bikes, was a bit miffed that one of the shops showed no interest at all, mental note to never, ever, even if I am desperate buy anything there again…

I have posted on bike magic, but not bike radar, will sort that out today, I am doing everything I can but it doesnt seem enough, am searching every site I can keeping an eye out for the bikes or bits of them.

Weird forks, a roady crankset, handbuilt wheels, it was lovely and I want it back, and am going to **** kill the theiving scumbag given the chance.

MrTall
    Free Member

Not that it helps in any way but i put a thread on Bikemagic last year asking if it was such a good idea for everyone to put up pics of expensive bikes on the net as if i was a bike thief, the internet forums would be the first place i'd look to see what i want to steal. I think we are kidding ourselves if we think it's all oportunistic kids nicking stuff, it's obviously more organised now with the money involved.

A few weeks on all the main sites will let you know what most people ride, where they live, pics and specs of all the bikes and quite often pics of gardens/shed/garages where they are stored. They would also know if people live alone or not and when they will be out riding. Eg 'Bob lives alone and has four top end bikes but is riding in Wales this weekend' meaning 3 bikes are left unguarded at home.

I know we all like to talk about and show off our pride and joys but sometimes i do wonder if we make it too easy for the scrotes to take us to the cleaners? I don't use roofracks so my bikes are hidden and 'usually' chained up in a garage but i have no doubt that a thief could get them all if he really wanted.

My one benefit is that all my bikes are mahooosive so not that desirable to 'normal' sized folks but then again with the proliferation of Ebay these days, frames (which are easier to trace) can be binned and the money can be made from the componentry alone.

After all that depressing post, i do hope that you get your bikes back, it can (and does) happen. Good luck. 🙂

MrTall
    Free Member

Oh, and it's always worth a few trips around the local parks and pikey hangouts just on the off chance that it was kids and they are riding it about.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting) much more likely you were followed/spotted taking bikes in to house than someone tracked you down via the tinterweb. Several years ago my then-g/f popped out of her house in cheltenham (she worked from home) to the post office. In the 40 minutes she was out in the middle of the dat the house was burgled and my FSR and her kona, plus her laptop were taken.

Someone had to have seen us take the bikes into the house, and had to have watched the house to see her leave as no one gets that lucky. As she was in a basement flat they could force the door unseen. I'm convinced it was builders/labourers (or their sh1tty mates) renovating a place a few doors down.

Salad-dodger, most forces use centralised call centres now, so if you walked into for example Oxford nick to report a crime theyd hand you a phone that goes thru to the call centre in Kidlington or Windsor. I am surprised not more was done if the bikes were taken from your inside house (not garage or shed) as that would be a dwelling burglary which is a home office priority with associated targets. Shouldn't make any difference where they were taken from, but sadly it does.

MrTall in my experience (detective in Oxford) it is largely local scumbags nicking bikes not organised groups who would search the internet. Some of them are pretty skillful and know bikes, but the vast majority of burglaries are committed by drug addicts, and if they can offload something (ie one of their handlers can get rid of bikes) then theyll take it. We had a nice high-end FSR stolen in a burglary in Oxford. It was recovered from Little Johnny Sh1tbag's house on a rough, poor estate in Oxford a few days later during a house search. It had been professionally re-sprayed and re-stickered. He didnt search internet forums to find bikes, but he did know how to strip and rebuild a bike. I also potted a prolific bike thief who was adept at swapping parts around to make bikes less identifiable. Luckily being a bike geek when I searched his garage it was obvious that for instance the red anodized Hope bits on 4 different bikes had come from one source.

They will and do use ebay to sell, and as other threads have said dont email the seller, contact the police and/or the loser. Ebay is a gift to the police and "we" have had several successful jobs via ebay.

tinsy
    Free Member

shameless bump..

Solo
    Free Member

Well, heres a theory.

If you're stil driving round with the car number plate you use to have…, then anyone in your locale, who also views this forum, won't win any master mind competitions for making a connection between your car number plate and your pseudoname on here.

You've posted pics of the 9ster and your other bikes on here before, so they follow your car one day, and the rest is simple.

Anyway, damn shame the bikes have gone. The Ti is probably painted with hammerite and ferrying some scumbags ass around.

Solo.

tinsy
    Free Member

I still want it back, even if its been Hammerited!!

Solo
    Free Member

The police know all the local theives. I'm surprized they haven't anyone in mind for this already. Unfortunately I guess that they may not be diverting too much resource to recovering stolen bikes, after all "the insurance will pay" is probably their attitude.

Don't they hold stolen, recovered items ?. Just consider that the frame has been painted, etc. Then, if it has been recovered later, the police may not identify it as yours.

Would it be possible to learn where they hold the bikes they recover and see if you can go check them. You'll probably be able to spot your bike, even if its appearance has been altered.

Just a thought.

Solo.

tinsy
    Free Member

Maybe, will ask that question, I have actually had quite a positive experience with the police on this, they came out straight away to take prints, and I had another visit to take my statement, and also a follow up call to say they had leafleted the local 2nd hand shops and bike shops.

I live in hope.

Solo
    Free Member

Yeah, I read that earlier in the thread. No results with the prints ?, that is strange.

Still, one can buy latex gloves from the £ shop now.

I hope you get it back.

Solo.

Solo
    Free Member

Oh, and get to view their recovered bikes, and make it a regular thing, if you want.

Of course, if you do find it amongst their haul, you'll have to prove its yours, etc.

Solo.

tinsy
    Free Member

Solo, it occurred to me on my ride last night, you must have searched me out to find a week old thread, so that in itself has rang alrm bells, I assume that you know me…

Are you JP?

foxyrider
    Free Member

searched me out

He probably just looked up your profile and your posts?

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Cyber-stalker there Tinsy!

tinsy
    Free Member

Looks that way to me CG.. I am quite paranoid about everything at the moment, having been broken into twice in less than a year and now losing my favorite toy..

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Too right. How are the armed security guards working out for you now? Helping you sleep at night?

tinsy
    Free Member

Not really the constant sound of the jackboots scraping over the chequer plate is quite disturbing..

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Ah, you went for the "SS" option. I found that secret-stealth Ninja option gave a better nights sleep. If you pay extra they feed them carrots so you don't need the high-power search lights either.

Solo
    Free Member

Not at all. type stuff into the search engine and see what you get.

Tins, obviously I know you, how else would I know your car number plate…

Solo.

tinsy
    Free Member

Bumped back up, please keep an eye out for any of this..

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Bumped back-up in the hope that someone has seen something!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Still stolen, still gutted….’ is closed to new replies.