Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Still can't find the right jacket
  • oddjob
    Free Member

I want an Assos 851 airjack, but I can't justify £200. What is the cheaper alternative.
    Must be:
    Warm
    Windproof
    Roady fit (not baggy)
    Quality

Suggestions so far seem to be
    Gore Phantom – is is warm enough?
    Endura Fusion – again, is it warm?
    Does anyone have the Giordana Body Clone Activia that CRC are selling for £70? is it any good?

AndyP
    Free Member

Must be:
    Warm
    Windproof
    Roady fit (not baggy)
    Quality

Ground Effect Baked Alaska.

oddjob
    Free Member

I've never looked at that ground effect stuff before, it looks nice although I think I'd opt for the frosty boy instead. I have been feeling the cold a lot this atumn already, I guess it is the weight I have lost 🙂
    Do they ship from NZ? meaning do you get stung for import duty?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tinsy
    Free Member

I got a fusion, its OK but needs some kind of wrist strap as its quite baggy on the cuff, not warm in itself, but not supposed to be as its more a part of a layering system. Got my wife a softshell from TK max the other day for £35 thats seems just as nice quality but guess your looking at high end labels.

oddjob
    Free Member

No, I am trying to avoid looking at high end labels but I'd rather not spend £70 on something that won't fit the bill.
    I have:
    A Rapha lightweight softshell (a present from the MRs) that is not warm, doesn't breath much and is rather too baggy
    An Assos element one that isn't warm enough becuase the wind blows through it
    A decathlon proper windstopper jacket that is about 10 years old that has been really good, windstopper on the front and arms and roubaix lycra on the back but it is falling apart and too big for me.
    The Assos 851 looks like the same sort of construction, but I don't want to shell out £200 if I can get something similar for £100… That is where I am stuck.
    BTW I live in Scandinavia so it does get rather cold here Brrrr!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Do they ship from NZ? meaning do you get stung for import duty?

yes. no – they have it sorted so you pay all that up front – or something. what you see is what you pay – proper good kit. (although i found it came up a bit big) but the returns policy is ace.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Endura Stealth. Cut fairly tight warm enough for Scottish winters – two thin technical t-shirts and a thin microfleece underneath good for -5c

DickBarton

Phantom – will be plenty warm enough…I've now started riding with nothing underneath my Gore jacket as it is nice and toasty…mine isn't the Phantom but the Phantom is the one up from mine so if mine does that then the Phantom will as well…removable sleeves make it very useful in Spring/Autumn when the temperature can fluctuate.

Mate has just opened a bike shop and sells the Gore kit –

Phantom – £110

Oxygen II – £120

I'll be getting a Phantom 2 for my birthday, but it's not for another 5 weeks away!

iainc

I got a Baked Alaska last year and have been very impressed. As said above, the price you pay when ordering includes delivery and taxes etc, it takes around 5 days to get to you which seems pretty good -)

oddjob
    Free Member

I see, I have played around on their site a bit now and it is included if you live in the UK. I live in Denmark so it is not included. The two timer jacket is €92, plus 25% VAT plus €34 admin charges for import makes about €149.

That's still cheaper than assos, but not much 😐

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use a gore fusion jacket – fantastic bit of kit but its more than you want to pay and the cut is a bit mtb – although you could buy a smaller size than normal.

A Rapha lightweight softshell (a present from the MRs) that is not warm, doesn't breath much and is rather too baggy

I'm a bit confused by this as mine is warm enough, very breathable (it's not waterproof so don't understand why you say it's not breathable. As for the baggy fit, the softshell I have is more of a jersey fit than a jacket – did you buy the wrong size?

oddjob
    Free Member

I have lost 2 stone since I got it, that is why it is baggy 🙂

I think that is also why it is not really keeping in the warmth although it is always soaking wet when I take it off. I am a bit of a sweaty pig though.

My old jacket with the roubaix back was good because it breathed really well. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy the assos in the end. I am sure it will be better than getting 2 cheaper ones that aren't quite up to the job…

It may be eBay time for the Rapha jacket.

oddjob
    Free Member

Full stop:

I had considered the gore fusion and it is acutally within budget (£75 at CRC) but it looks like a normal fleece rather than cycling specific cut.

Are the arms and back long enough?
    Does it breath at all?

nickc

Have you looked at the Wiggle own brand stuff, dhb? The pieces I have are pretty well put together do what they say, and are reasonably priced. They've pretty much become my default clothing brand after too many badly put together bits from Endura, and now that GE stuff isn't as good value exchange rate-wise as it used to be.

Gary_M
    Free Member

oddjob if you can get the gore fusion jacket for £75 then buy one. Only Fusion jacket I can see on crc is the Endura Fusion not Gore.

jim
    Free Member

A decathlon proper windstopper jacket that is about 10 years old that has been really good, windstopper on the front and arms and roubaix lycra on the back but it is falling apart and too big for me.

If you want something to replace this have a look at the Endura Windchill jacket?

rootes1

pearl izumi barrier range?

wwaswas

Gore Tool is worth a look as well.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Still can't find the right jacket’ is closed to new replies.