Stihl or Husky chainsaw?

Home Forum Chat Forum Stihl or Husky chainsaw?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Stihl or Husky chainsaw?
  • Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Husqvarna.

Premier Icon smartay
    Subscriber

…and reason for your choice, spares/ reliability etc

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Reliability used my parents for pretty heavy use 2-3 times a week for a few years and it never faulted.

xcwanabe

Either both are very reliable, well made saws. If you are just using for general firewood duties then you’re not going to reuire a huge quantity of spares, only the occasiional chain and some sharpening files.

Which porduct does your local dealer stock might help making choice.

Rob,
    Stihl climbing saw/ Husky ground saw.

trail_rat

depends if your buying new or used .

ive noticed used stihl command a much higher price than husky. BUT equally ive noticed many more early 80s huskys for sale which says they either last or dont get used)

new they are similar prices – thus id buy a stihl new as i know the dealer quite well from a previous life and can get parts easy. Our – and if i find it surplus to requirements its easy to flog on.

Kuco

Which ever one you can get the best deal on.

oldkit56

I asked the same question last year at my local farm suppliers, their man who looks after the hire equipment said no real difference with the smaller ones but his personal choice would be Stihl, this was just his own preferrence and not based on any one being better or worse.
    Will say that I owned a Stihl strimmer for about 10 years, thrashed the nuts off it doing peoples gardens for them, never replaced anything on it and it was still working brilliantly when some thieving
    git broke into my house and nicked it.
    Cheers Kit 🙂

Premier Icon smartay
    Subscriber

Hi all

Which one to go far in your experience etc, general fire wood duties

spchantler

i got a husky, my mate got a stihl, both entry level machines, 14-16 inch bar, his struggled with the oil feed right from the start, its been in and out of the menders, mines been perfect and is used a lot more. having said that, another mate is a tree surgeon and only has stihl, swears by them. husky was a fair bit cheaper, but its been faultess

i got this one

Premier Icon alexonabike
    Subscriber

We use both at work.

Its personal choice, whichever the dealer can give you a better price on, or which are carried by the dealer! Our local does both so we just buy the right tool for the job. Both brands have decent equipment. Try a few out and see which you like the feel of.

If you haven’t done so already, get some form of training first.

milodog

Try an Echo. Iwent to buy a stihl and was advised about an echo. Long time user and dealer sold me one after using them for years. Japanese made and start first time every time.

sharki

When my castor dies I’ll go for a stihl as everyone I’ve spoken to who use them professionally recommend them for reliability reasons.

Kuco

We have had Husky’s and Stihl’s at work and have had dogs in both, like most things you get good ones and bad ones.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Stihls for me as an amateur.
    Didnt really mean to pick a brand when I got the first, it was just the one that a fencing contractor mate offered to me. Lots of cheap spares on eBay though, especially Mister Solutions.

Theyve been reliable so long as I havent screwed something up – such as run a worn drive sprocket too long, or fiddled with the idle/high speed screws. Even breaking the pull cord was an easy fix.

sharkbait

Stihl here.

mefty

+1 for Echo, can be very cheap second hand as they don’t have the same name recognition, don’t know about new, but based on my first comment, residuals won’t be great! I have one of their chainsaws, strimmers, leaf blowers and hedge trimmers and all work brilliantly.

trail_rat

echo engines- who ever makes em.

ime were not very robust.

we had a pair of 2 stroke hand held leaf blowers and they were scrapped after just one season – local dealer waited for ages for spares – buggers just wouldnt start reliably even after repairs.

the 4 stroke stihl unit we replaced it with got just as much abuse and did just as much work as the two units it replaced – only less fatigue on the use as it was a back pack mount.

flip

Stihl for me, got an MS201 for in the trees and an MS 260 for on the ground, both never miss a beat. No reason to change IMO.

Just bought the 201 as i was bored of waiting for the new top handled Husky 🙄

TooTall

Depends what you can get serviced locally. My bro has been a tree surgeon for 20 years and uses Stihl these days.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I think authorised Stihl dealers now require to see a certificate of competence to sell you one. I’ve used chainsaws plenty and recieved “informal” instruction but never been on a proper course…..so it was Husky for me.

I know I might actually die etc etc.

mcmoonter

I’m on my second Stihl. The first an 08S did sterling service until it was stolen. I replaced it with an 034 that has been brilliant. I’ve cut a mountain of wood, It must be fifteen years old now. it’s only on it’s second bar, but I’ve used several chains. I stopped using genuine Stihl or Oregon chains and started using cheaper ones I found on eBay, they’ve worked equally well. No issues with mine. I keep the air filter clean and the levers under the air box cowl clear with an air line. I’ve had it serviced a couple of times by the agent over in Edinburgh, the old guy was a surly character but he really knew his stuff. Post service the saw felt like new again and revved like it was running on methanol.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Stihl or Husky chainsaw?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top