Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Stiffer 5:10s
  • Kahurangi

I’m currently rocking some 5:10 chase shoes on the bike

and they’re just not stiff enough. Grippy enough, don’t look stupid but my feet ache after 5 mins continuous descending, let alone a 20 min DH/enduro stage 😉

What’s stiffer? I had my hands on a pair of Freerider VXi (or something) and they’re nice – not too bulky and at least a little bit stiffer. not sure about the slick portion of the sole though (but that’s been covered in another thread).

Are all the proper bike-intended 5:10s much of a muchness? What are your experiences/recommendations?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

stiffer insoles?

scaredypants

bigger peggles ?

tmb467
    Free Member

Sounds more like a foot issue than a shoe issue imoh

Five minutes on a pedal shouldn’t cause that much pain. Insoles sound the answer

Kahurangi

Nah, when you’re really hammering it, 5-10 mins is a lot of descending 😉

I’ve tried stiffer insoles, but the shoes are really flexy.

Don’t want mahoosive pedals as I’m getting enough pedal strikes fankyoo.

flange
    Free Member

Are they the flat pedal type? I always used to swear by flat pedals until I got some minaars and platform spds. Transformed my riding it did and no more foot pain (as you described)

Anyway – that’s another argument. For stiffer flats, look at shimano AM-whatever-they-are. A fair bit stiffer but look a bit…special

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t want mahoosive pedals as I’m getting enough pedal strikes fankyoo.

bigger not thicker. If your pedal striking then the toes are probably next..

Some things to do – get stronger feet, do more descending stood up 10 mins is short, try some 30-40 min trails in the alps.
    Love the Minaars and they do feel a bit stiffer, also all the big boys run clipped in 🙂

Kahurangi

I’m quite happy not clipped in at the mo thanks 8)

I was going to post a link to the photos from the race at the weekend with half of the pros dabbing and slipping over the roots – but they are mostly clipped in 😐

I was very glad to be not clipped in for the first two stages FWIW. The Last stage would have been much of a muchness on flats or clips. About 200 m of pedalling but plenty of loose slidey corners to get your foot out for.

http://www.nelson-photography.co.nz/event-galleries/mtb/dodzy-memorial-2014/nggallery/page/5/

The pedals (Nukeproof Proton) aren’t particularly small and I don’t have particularly large feet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was going to post a link to the photos from the race at the weekend with half of the pros dabbing and slipping over the roots – but they are mostly clipped in

And that is the bit most people miss, when your good with them it’s as easy to remove/replace your foot 🙂
    There was something on pink bike about clipped riders hitting things with more commitment and therefore needing less foot out stability too but that’s digressing.

On the other point what do you do to make your feet stronger?
    Calf raisers over a step and moving up to doing them off smaller steps might help, I came to biking from climbing and found I never really struggled to stand for a long time back then, the less climbing I do the weaker my feet get.

Karl33to
    Free Member

The Sam Hill’s have a thicker than normal sole so are a bit stiffer than some of the other models. Can’t say I’ve compared them all though.

Kahurangi

On the other point what do you do to make your feet stronger?

I’m not sure grimacing counts for anything 😀

I’ll try and works some exercises in to a routine.

Did you check the link and see how Justin Leov was tripod-ing through those roots? I’d have been flat on my arse with clips 😈

Ultimately, I’ve been riding my bike in parkour shoes and I was wondering if bike ones are any stiffer. Thanks for the responses :mrgreen:

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you check the link and see how Justin Leov was tripod-ing through those roots? I’d have been flat on my arse with clips

Thats just a high speed dab!!

and if those are not bike shoes then the bike ones are normally stiffer. Still no excuse for not getting stronger all over though.

Kahurangi

Thats just a high speed dab!!

Just like me 😀

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve never tried 5:10s but looking at that image, it looks like those chase shoes are designed to be flexible in the mid section (not surprising considering what they are designed for). Try some bike specific shoes as i’m sure they are more suited to riding bikes and will be still in the desired areas.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Freeriders, karvers both plenty stiff.

steel4real
    Free Member

OP – If you are as serious about your riding as you make out then get some Five:Tens that are bike specific rather than use freerunning shoes !

VanHalen

those pics of leov make me feel much better about my mega offcamber root riding capabilities.

I like that you can see just how far his bike has stepped down/sideways!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

5.10 impacts are a lot more supportive. But you have the soaking-out problem.

Kahurangi

OP – If you are as serious about your riding as you make out then get some Five:Tens that are bike specific rather than use freerunning shoes !

🙄

I’m having much too much fun riding my bike around the woods to ever call it serious

😀

agreed – when I bought these it wasn’t obvious that they weren’t bike shoes – it was only when I realised they were a bit flexible that I looked in to it. I’m just trying to do a little research before I spend $$$ on internet purchases (not enough shops to try stuff on in NZ) and find that there’s not much improvement.

firedfromthecircus
    Free Member

The impacts are very stiff and supportive, but then you have the orthopedic shoe problem!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hey John, I’ve got the normal freeriders with some scholl/orthoheel ‘sports’ insoles, not so much for the suppourt but they do stiffen them up a treet.

matthew_h
    Free Member

The newer version of the Impact, the VXi, due soonish sounds like it could be right up your street. A good chunk stiffer than the Freerider range but nowhere near as clunky sized as the existing Impact.

These badboys:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Five-Ten-Impact-VXi-First-Look-2013.html

chiefgrooveguru

The Freerider VXi are slightly stiffer than Teva Links and AM40s (with the stiffer insole), both of which are far stiffer than skate or running shoes.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Stiffer 5:10s’ is closed to new replies.