Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • stiffening up my rear end!!???? help required.
  • havinalaff
    Free Member

I have an old specialized sx 2004 and want to try and stiffen up the rear end.

Its a normal qr rear end. I am thinking of using a 10mm thru axle or 10mm qr axle (superstar style) can anyone give me any feedback as to the best option for this.

I have got a goldtech pro competition hub and the guys at goldtech have awesomely offered to machine it out to accept the axle for a v reasonable price.

Thanks

Rich

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’m no expert but wouldn’t you need a completely new swing arm

havinalaff
    Free Member

naaa they just fit in the standard 10mm dropout but its a solid axle through the hub giving improved stiffness.

I’m just not sure which axle to go for.

robhughes
    Free Member

SS 10mm q/r,s are absolutely solid.Got them on two of my bikes..

thejesmonddingo

+1 for SS

havinalaff
    Free Member

i’ll take that as a recommendation then. Unfortunately theres none in stock at the mo.

robhughes
    Free Member

That,s why there sold out… 😉

havinalaff
    Free Member

good point. Alternatively the hadley one or DTswiss but thats silly money.

http://www.nwmtb.com/product/7315/Hadley_Rear_10mm_x_135_ThruBolt

or maybe:
    bikediscount.de
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1872/a66201/thru-axle-nailer-2-135-x-10-mm-red.html

davosaurusrex

Got a techno green SS one doing nothing that you can have for postage cost if you want?

havinalaff
    Free Member

I’ll take that just to try it. Very much appreciated. I’ll buy a matching colour one for my bike afterwards. DO you want me to ship it back to you afterwards or offer it on to someone else on the same terms.

Thanks

Rich

davosaurusrex

You can pass it on. My new bike is 142×12 so hanging onto it on the off chance of needing it again is a bit pointless. Email in profile, send me your address and I’ll try and get it sent tomorrow

havinalaff
    Free Member

Can anyone else give any feedback on the bolt thru types.

Sandwich

If Goldtech can machine the axle out to accept a 10mm thru axle why not get them to thread both ends and use the Hope axle bolts

havinalaff
    Free Member

Not a bad idea. Are they stiffer than a bolt thru then?

greeble
    Free Member

No not stiffer but a total FAFF on the trail. Stick with the ss qr. I had the same frame and went the way of 10mm ss qr it did make a positive difference

neninja
    Free Member

Chainreaction do Fire Eye 10mm QR’s the same as Superstar – back in stock on 15th according to their website.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39202

havinalaff
    Free Member

Thanks for info especially knowing it’ll make a proper difference on my frame (greeble)

spooky_b329

Can proII hubs be converted to 10mm thru axle?

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve done Hope bolt-in 10mm on my Pro2 hub and 10mm QR (SStar) on my Pro3AM4 hub. Both made a small but noticeable difference to my Intense rear end. Can’t fault the SS qr for the money. The bolt-in was a little more reassuring..

stevied
    Free Member

Can proII hubs be converted to 10mm thru axle?

Yes but you need to change the whole axle: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18761

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Run a 10mm DT RWS on my Soul, hasnt exploded, cant fault it.

Not much to compare it to though as ive always run it like than v0v

spawnofyorkshire

sorry for the slight highjack – in a similar vein to the OP i’m looking to stiffen up the rear end of my boardman a bit. It’s got a SRAM X7 rear hub, can i just run a 10mm bolt thru like the SS or DT swiss or would the hub need to be adapted first?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I doubt very much you’ll be able to convert a SRAM hub.

I ran a SS 10mm / Pro2 rear on my old Santa Cruz Blur. Made no noticeable difference at all. My theory though is that it’d make a lot more difference on something either like a Heckler/Five (something with a long single swingarm) or something like the OP’s SX (something with a pivot near the rear axle). I have no engineering evidence to back my theory up but its my suspicion!

jasonm945
    Free Member

The hub would need an adaptor

Jay

spawnofyorkshire

ok thanks guys, it was thought that was running through my head. New wheels are next years present to myself so i’ll look at it again then.

Highjack over

havinalaff
    Free Member

Thanks davosaurusrex.!. It arrived. Just what I needed.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘stiffening up my rear end!!???? help required.’ is closed to new replies.