• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mcj78.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stiffen up my front end…Santa Cruz heckler
  • foaley
    Free Member

Currently running a 9 qr RS revelation fork. Itstoo twangy looking for alterative so I presume a bolt through. 140-160 travel any ideas how to add extra stiffness and fork recommendations. I do general MTB riding on Dartmoor and trail centre’s. Cheers

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Mattoc Pro reduced down to 140mm, it’s nice and easy to do so you can always convert them back to 160 easily in case you swap your frame.

You can get them for a decent price from Germany and other retailers if you look hard enough.

34mm stanchions as opposed to 32 and a 15mm bolt through should provide a large stiffness upgrade.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Depends what you have to spend OP. Pike or Fox 34 / Fox 36 if you have the cash. You looking for something secondhand or new?

foaley
    Free Member

Second hand although somewhat limited as straight steerer and xl frame although SC are notoriously small frames.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

In that case, a secondhand Lyrik solo air cut down to 140mm by someone like Loco or TF Tuned.

Or just a bolt through fork of any sort, even a 32mm Revelation with a bolt through will be an upgrade.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

X Fusion Slant 34mm chassis

gnusmas

I ran an old pike on my heckler at 140mm and also a sektor at 150mm. Only did one ride with the sektor on it as I prefered the 140mm travel. Mine was a 2006 model heckler. The pike is a 20mm bolt through and the sektor I had was a 15mm bolt through.

scruff
    Free Member

I have a 170 lyrik on mine reduced to 150.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

What version Heckler do you have? The 5.0 will be good with older 140 Pikes or bolt through Revs and the 6.0 will happily use a 160mm Lyrik. But you’ll also have to cost in the factor of a new front wheel unless you’re already running convertible Hope hubs.

Second hand prices of 26in 1 and 1/8th forks seem to be going up though from what I’ve observed, some Pikes went for £210 on ebay recently, I got a really nice set for £130 about 18 months ago and old Revelations are going for high BIN prices – I’m on the lookout for spares myself now and then as most of my frames are 1 and 1/8th

woodster

I’ll probably have my Bos Deville 140 TRC up for sale soon-ish. 1 1/8 with a 20mm bolt through. Proper stiff, light and brilliant, but I could use something with a bit more travel.

Not an advert, just worth mentioning that it’s not uncommon to find Devilles with a straight steerer.

dantsw13

150 Rev 15mm works well on a Heckler.

If you don’t mind the weight , Marzocchi 55 bombers are pretty cheap second hand, and great forks (2010 or later). I paid £120 for mine.

bomberman
    Free Member

150 Rev 15mm works well on a Heckler.

That’s what i would go for. I also have a 1 1/8″ heckler from 2003, used to have a QR fox 32 Talas on it and then i got a 150mm Revelation RLT Ti which has a 20mm maxle and the difference is great, it’s the perfect amount of travel for me and loads plusher and stiffer than the fox 32 ever was. It just ploughs through stuff the talas would wince at.

The problem is you’re limited with the 1 1/8″ steerer so you can’t access the new generation of forks but a 150mm Rev would be perfect unless you want another 10mm travel but then you step up to something like an older fox 36 and you take a weight penalty.

Also, i would recommend not going for anything with adjustable travel like a Talas or a dual air rock shox as you take a compromise in the damping. So stay away from 2-step, dual air or talas.

superfli
    Free Member

I had 160mm XFusion Vengeance HLR on mine. Transformed the front end. OK they were a lot heavier, but the 36mm stanchions +20mm axle were very noticeably stiffer. Something with 150mm rear deserves 36mm/35mm stnachions IMO.
    Climbing was never an issue. I did put offset bushings in to lower the BB a little.

porter_jamie

so, welding on a 44mm headtube… anyone done it? would anyone ride it afterwards? if i do it, would someone else ride it down a rocky hill to make sure it doesn’t fall off for me? 🙂

mcj78
    Free Member

+1 for old style Pikes here too – I’ve a 140mm coil set on my 2006 frame – stiff as you like & bomb proof (although i’m a 5’7″, 11 stone weakling hunkasaurus riding a small frame – like a full suss BMX)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stiffen up my front end…Santa Cruz heckler’ is closed to new replies.