Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stiff RF cranks
  • richc
    Free Member

Just checking that I am not going mad here.

I have some RF atlas cranks, and a new Acros BB, and when I do the cranks up tight enough that the bolt bottoms out on the axle (well to be honest I haven’t done it up this tight yet) the crank gets very very stiff and hard to rotate

To fix this do I need to remove some of the spacers on the axle? or am I doing something wrong?

MrAgreeable

Have you had the frame faced?

richc
    Free Member

No, but its been used with Shimano crank before and was fine. Are RF cranks a lot more sensitive?

MrAgreeable

Quite a bit more I believe. The GF’s Evolve XC cranks are a bit tight (her frame is unfaced) but my old ones were OK (frame faced).

richc
    Free Member

bugger, better get down the LBS then. Do you need to strip the frame down to get them faced? or can they do it built up.

MrAgreeable

They can do it built up – you just need to get the cranks off and the BB out. Might be worth double-checking your bike’s BB shell width and the instructions first. I want some of those Atlas cranks, they look mustard.

jim
    Free Member

Yep, remove one of the 1mm spacers on the axle.

richc
    Free Member

I will try a 1mm spacer, if that doesn’t help I will take it to the LBS.

They are nice cranks mr A (i got mine with a lucky ebay snipe for not much cash ;)) but they are seriously heavy

jonathan
    Free Member

The instructions for RF cranks cover this – see the troubleshoot bit

Amazing eh?

richc
    Free Member

Yep read them, just wanted to double check, which is never a bad thing IMHO

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Acros BB’s use an angular contact bearing. If you keep winding & winding you will crush the inner bearing race into the balls thus stopping it turning.

The bolt is not supposed to do up against the axle.

Tighten the steel 8mm allen key bolt up tight so the cranks can still turn freely, then screw up against it the 12mm Aluminium allen key cap to lock it all down.

J

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stiff RF cranks’ is closed to new replies.