Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stiff, light 29er wheels for £600 – £800 Suggestions?
  • mikeep
    Free Member

Any suggestions for stiff, light 29er wheels for £600 – £800. 21mm+ internal rim width would be nice.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Light bikes Chinese carbon is the way to go.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Roval Control carbon wheels are around £800 or so, reasonably light and feel pretty stiff compared to Hope Hoops with Crests.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tonyg2003

My Light Bicycle 30mm hookless 29er wheels are on their way from China. Should be light and stiff plus under your budget.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Would these Fulcrum Red Metal XL 29 be of any interest?

njee20
    Free Member

+another for Light Bicycle hookless. I’ve got the narrower (still >21mm internal) hookless rims on American Classic hubs with Revolutions. They’re 1370g, and came to about £550 I think.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

My Light bicycle carbon rims (wider AM 29er new process – not the new hookless ones) cost well under your budget built up by BETD with some nice Goldtec hubs. They are light, and a huge improvement over the similar weight alloy XC race wheels I ran before them. I’m not sure if this is due to increased stiffness or the wider profile offering more tyre support.

I’ve even been using the front on my singlespeed all winter with a huge 2.35 Hans Dampf and it has been faultless.

jonnyrockymountain

I have American classic hubs with crest rims and revolution spokes, really nice and about 1450g and below your budget at around £550

njee20
    Free Member

I have American classic hubs with crest rims and revolution spokes, really nice and about 1450g and below your budget at around £550

In which case mine must have cost slightly more, or I’m better at shopping around 😉

Sure they were about that though.

jumble
    Free Member

Freeborn were offering Roval Control SL for £800 (down from £1400) a while ago. I went for these rather than Light Cycle as I could not get a build of Light Cycle rims for anything less than just over £600 and the Roval wheels have a lifetime warranty.

njee20
    Free Member

Lifetime warranty which will exclude ‘twatting your rim on a rock’, which is the most likely damage, and even for £600 you could still replace a rim and be quids in. Just sayin’ like.

jumble
    Free Member

Until you have to replace another. Just sayin’ like.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, when you’d break even, but considering they’re allegedly the same manufacturer you’re just as likely to smash either rim.

Just not convinced a rim warranty is worth the £300 or so premium, YMMV. What would it conceivably cover? Spokeholes cracking I guess.

jumble
    Free Member

Yeah, I hummed and haahed about it. If I could build a decent wheel then I would have gone the way you did.

njee20
    Free Member

It is a good price for the SLs – you’d be coming in about the same cost building on 240s anyway I’d expect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stiff, light 29er wheels for £600 – £800 Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.