Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stiff gears
  • a17esh
    Free Member

well I whipped off my seam X7 and replaced it with Shimano XT 10speed.

New inner cables, outer looks fine and was working just great before.

But the change up is just stiff as soon as I link the cable to the XT mech. Everything is running free. It was working before. The down shift is super quick too.

Any hints and tips?

AlasdairMc

Check cable routing – is the cable screwed in on the correct side of the bolt on the mech? If it’s wrong there won’t be enough leverage so it’ll feel stiff.

bikeneil
    Free Member

outer looks fine

There’s your issue. Fit new outer.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Does the cable run nice and straight into the mech, or is the cable kinked? Is it a clutch-type mech with a stiff clutch?

mtbfix

What bikeneil says +1.

Replaced the inners only on my bike the other day. Still stiff as you like so replaced the others too. Now nice and smooth.

a17esh
    Free Member

Cable out is like new, the cable moved freely when not attached to the mech, def enough cable length too.

The mech is a dnya sys XT, I think it a clutch type.

a17esh
    Free Member

No kinks…….possibly the outer, but I don’t think so. Any other tricks before I go and get myself a new outer?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I am assuming you have replaced the shifters at the same time…..you have,hav’nt you?

a17esh
    Free Member

I found my error. My original cables were gore ride on. I have taken out the inner coated cable, replaced with a normal steel cable.

But until attached to the mech the cables runs sweet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stiff gears’ is closed to new replies.