Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Stiff Cassette
  • Stevo210
    Free Member

Came to ride the old girl this morning after a few weeks off. An noticed I couldnt backpedal without the chain dropping really slack and the derailuer bending up.

After a bit of investigation turns out the cassette was super stiff and wouldnt turn. So took the wheel out and the cassette turns pretty freely, put it back in tighten the skewer and its stiff again.

What would be the diagnosis for this, bearings of some description??

Its a DT swiss hub as standard on my Cannondale. Think it has needle bearings……I think.

Any help would be much appreciated as Im about to strip it to see what I can see 🙁

Stevo210
    Free Member

Had a closer look. If the locking nuts on each end of the axle are not loose the cassette wont turn. Tighten the nut up with your finger and the cassette stiffens, tighten with a spanner, cassette nearly locked solid 🙁

Surely these nuts should be tight?

coatesy
    Free Member

Sounds as though you have siezed freehub bearings, if it’s a DT Onyx type then it’s probably just the outer cartridge bearing(it’s the most exposed), and not difficult or expensive to replace. If you service the freehub mechanism at the same time, try not to use too much,or too sticky,grease as they don’t like it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stevo210
    Free Member

pretty much spot on mate.
    Had it in bits, the outer bearing just under the locking nut and spacer cover has seized. Looks like a simple case of replacing the bearing.

As the nut was tightened it was clamping up on the seized bearing thus stopping the cassette from moving.
    Thanks for your help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Stiff Cassette’ is closed to new replies.