Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • stiff bottom bracket
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

Just inspecting my bike for some commuting duties and the bottom bracket is very stiff. Turning the crank arms is hard work…

Used last at the weekend on the chase, and washed afterwards, guess it doesn’t help being stored in the cellar,(not very damp) but its the only place to put it.

Is it on its way out? Any tips on releasing it?

Ti_Tim
    Free Member

What sort of BB is it ? – just had the same kind of thing with mine and X-type and it looks like its had it

Does it feel like its grinding at all or is it just stiff ? – any play when you get hold of both crank arms and try to move them side to side ?

carlphillips
    Free Member

2 rides and my ssc bb went like that, got them to free up eventually but after most wet rides if the bike was left fo rmore than a few days it would seize, then free up after a while, i replaced the bearings in the cups and no problems since.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Its a race face evolve, there is a small amount of grinding, but no play, it was quite a sandy ride! Don’t rate raceface at all!!

Ti_Tim
    Free Member

Looks like there’s an external Evolve and an ISIS evolve – if its an ISIS then you’ve probably had it – if its an external then you might be able to just flush the grease in the bearings – but it needs to be done very carefully – I found this website quite useful – but the dustcaps are really fragile…
    bearing replacement

Cheers,

Ti_Tim

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Thanks Ti_Tim

DezB
    Free Member

Its probably not worth worrying about. My RF one did that after being left in the garage for a couple of weeks. One ride and its smooth again.
    My mate’s Gigapipe one was alarmingly stiff after it had been sat around for a while. Rode it, fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘stiff bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.