Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sticky Piston M585 LX Brakes
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a M585 (Shimano) caliper, linked to dual control lx brake levers (from 07). The caliper on my front break is sticky on one side only, meaning I have little breaking power and keep glazing the pads off as the disc just rubs rather than bites.

I thought it was contaminated pads but the piton is very slow to move.

Any fixes? I have tried a bit of 3 in 1 oil round the seal, as I had some to hand, but not sure what the best course of action is? Have also tried pumping the brake whilst holding in the good piston.

unklehomered
    Free Member

It may be to pop the piston right out, and wipe it and the calliper seal clean. Messy and need to rebleed, but ultimately could be quicker

andyl
    Free Member

^^ probably the easiest route. And just lube with mineral oil brake fluid – nothing else

granny_ring

Plenty of advice here on sticking pistons in previous threads, try a search if you haven’t already, should help you I think.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice above. I did try searching with limited success and have gone for the advice offered above by andyl re: mineral oil, as I don’t have time to complete srtip the brake at the moment. Will look as a more thorough job if it continues to be a problem.

Replaced pads too and they seem to bit more now, but before I put the pads back in the piston still seemed to be a bit reluctant to ease itself out. Will see how it goes when I go riding in the Lake District next.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I know its a ball ache (especially the first time you do it) but it does suggest you’ve got crap in the seals, sooner rather than later could be a good idea…

retro83
    Free Member

good luck and if you sort it, please post what you did!

still stuck with mine: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sticky-pistons-again

tho must admit i haven’t tried the baby oil 🙂

granny_ring

Might be of use if you’ve not seen these threads, might not if you have!

=1&maxcount=100&age=366&direction=0&sort=date&order=0]

EDIT

I tried to link the advance search in the bike forum for 1 year but it’s not showing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sticky Piston M585 LX Brakes’ is closed to new replies.