Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Sticky ish recons
  • lovewookie

I’ve got a set of recon 29er forks, the solo air tk golds which feel a bit stickier than I’m used to.

I’ve had them for a couple of months now, second hand, so serviced about a month ago, but only changed a few of the seals as I didn’t have many spares.

Thing is, I’m used to the old dual air rockshox, being nice and supple, but have heard a few reports of the solo air being less so, which kinda ties in with my experience so far.

So, is it worth giving them a proper service, lip seals and all, or am I better off seeking a more supple fork?

I’ve played about with the air pressures a fair bit too, but it’s either fairly active, with too much sag, or right sag but feel like I’ve got a threshold lockout set up, race style. (yes I know the turnkey doesn’t have threshold)

How’s everyone else’s solo air compare with dual air?

Ta

devash
    Free Member

I had two year’s worth of hassle with my Solo Air Rebas with them doing exactly as you describe.

Every time they came back from repair they felt exactly the same.

I eventually demanded a brand new set under warranty and the new set work perfectly.

Its all very weird. Some other guys on the forum have had similar issues and I’ve read other accounts on the MTBR forums.

In my case, SRAM initially replaced the lower legs and bushings claiming that they were misshapen. That didn’t sort the problem and the fork subsequently developed some creaking, probably due to the crown / stanchions being subjected to a lot more force due to the fork harshness. SRAM warrantied them again and replaced the uppers this time. Still didn’t sort the harshness though.

One of the seals blew not long after (apparently caused by a faulty air spring) and after a bit of kicking off I received a brand new fork.

By the powers of deduction, I reckon that a faulty air spring probably causes the harshness. I’ve read that the valve between positive and negative air chambers sometimes gets blocked by grease. Give your forks a full strip and service and see if that sorts the problem.

lovewookie

I shall give that a go.

it got a strip and rub down, rather than the full on blast with disc brake cleaner I normally do, so hopefully…..

cheers

🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Sticky ish recons’ is closed to new replies.