Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • sticking velcro to internal car trim
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Any advice would be appreciated.

I’ve purchased a boot liner for our new car, most of the trim in the boot is plastic so I need to stick the loop tape onto it to keep the boot liner in place.

I’ve tried it once but the adhesive on the loop tape failed to hold. I’m guessing this is down to a coating on the trim (silicone was mentioned on the instructions).

Before my first attempt I cleaned the area with kitchen degreaser but I’m guessing it didn’t work to remove the silicone.

I’m loathe to use actual thinners incase they pucker or otherwise ruin/damage the trim.

Any suggestions on a cleaning agent to try before attempt number two or any good advice from past experience that might work?

Cheers

sharkbait
    Free Member

My brother fitted press studs around the top of the boot on his range rover with small self tapping screws through the carpet, not the plastic. I thought this was pretty drastic but I guess the screws will come out easily enough, if required, and leave little evidence of them being there.
    Seems to work fairly well.
    I’ve bought a tall rigid liner or my new car – should be £120 from the dealer, I paid £5.50 + £10 shipping on eBay. Works better than a fabric liner in my experience

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I did consider press studs but don’t like the idea of drilling/tapping into the trim.

I’d looked at the rigid ones but wanted one which would split or slide with the rear seat and the rigid didn’t give that option.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t use kitchen degreaser, it probably leaves a residue. Use meths or something.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Never occurred to me the degreaser might be the problem rather than simply not effective.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘sticking velcro to internal car trim’ is closed to new replies.