Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sticking roadie brakes
  • gordonb
    Free Member

Hi, my dual pivot brakes on my Allez are really sticky. When I pull the back brake on, it doesn’t want to open back up, even if I release the cable tension.

Anyone know how to make them free flowing again>?

ta

Gordon

uplink
    Free Member

A bit of lube on the pivots perhaps?

blades2000
    Free Member

I had a similar problem, I took the brake off and cleaned it using some wd40, don’t get on the pads. back on and worked fine, for me it was due to a build up of dirt as I wasn’t using mud guards.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just check the pads not catching on the tyre, they can sometimes get trapped by the sidewall of the tyre. Sometimes a worn pad can get hooked under the rim as well.

Make sure the stirup is not over tightened, too tight and it’ll squash all the mechanicals and they wont open/close smoothly.

Strip down and lube or replace the cables. Look for any nick or tears and tight bends in the outer.

Basically they don’t fail, so you should be able to sort it. I could probably pull the lever, take a peek and have it sorted in seconds.

mrmo
    Free Member

were they exposed to winter salt? hopefully you won’t have any corrosion and lubing, or worst case a strip down and clean will be enough. Worst case is the bushings will have been corroded by winter salt and you will need a new caliper.

oldgit
    Free Member

were they exposed to winter salt? hopefully you won’t have any corrosion and lubing, or worst case a strip down and clean will be enough. Worst case is the bushings will have been corroded by winter salt and you will need a new caliper.

Which would make you a naughty boy, just a quick splosh of car shampoo in warm water would keep them going all year. No excuses I’ve got 53 year old GB brakes on my Raleigh and they’re still a okay.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sticking roadie brakes’ is closed to new replies.