Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sticking my neck out (jobless content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Just slightly exaggerated how up-to-date my experience is to an agent on the phone – they are putting me in for a hugely high paid job in Frankfurt.

Fortunately, it’s Friday so I have all weekend to read up on the things I said I was experienced in….! Wish me luck.

I almost certainly won’t get it tho since at those rates it’ll attract enough people for them to find someone with better (more real) experience…

wwaswas

let’s hope they’re not cyclists…

most people exagerate a little – depends if it’s a skill they can test you on really. We started doign code tests due to the number of chancers who could talk the talk and thought they’d blag their way in.

Good Luck!

Moses

Good luck.
    Remember, bullshit experience is always good in interviews so long as you know your stuff. And you will by then, so you’ve as good a chance as anyone.

jova54
    Free Member

Good luck Molgrips, it’s about time you at least got an interview.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks Jova. I’m hoping people are waiting for budget to start interviewing…

I’m going to spend most of the weekend coding I think, with a quick trip to Cwmcarn tomorrow and maybe a roadie ride on Sunday.

yoshimi

Everyone exaggerates – good luck pal

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Apply for a few more similar jobs! once you know the questions you’ll be able to bullsh1t a lot better in the following interviews.

apparently exagerations are up a million percent this year.

joemarshall
    Free Member

In a similar situation in my skint student days I learnt Fortran from scratch in a couple of days for an interview once and got the job. Most computer stuff you can easily learn enough in a weekend to be able to at least program whatever silly thing they ask you in the interview.

Although since discovering what a joy it isn’t to have a job programming in Fortran on a super-computer that doesn’t even have a proper text editor, I’ve only gone for jobs since when I knew it wasn’t going to be complete dullsville if I got the job.

I didn’t actually lie about anything to get that one though, just applied for the job, said to the first person that I could do the job (which was true, and all they asked), and then made sure I had some knowledge of Fortran by the interview.

Joe

tyger
    Free Member

Hi molegrips, can you email me which Agency this was with? Cheers Paul

molgrips
    Free Member

Most computer stuff you can easily learn enough in a weekend to be able to at least program whatever silly thing they ask you in the interview

Maybe in the good days you could, but now and for a top paying job they’ll grill me on the kind of details you only get from using technologies in an actualy job.

zaskar
    Free Member

Well you lied.

I hope you getaway with it lol.

Study now!

Spongebob
    Free Member

let’s hope they’re not cyclists…

Conversely, let’s hope they are cyclists! Just not STW chatroom reading cyclists.

You can’t bullshit your way into a tech. job these days! Aside from not knowing the common day to day issues, you’ll probably be asked if you have certification.

Many firms employ security checking agencies who will check with all your previous employers, colleges for certifications etc etc.

Getting shorlisted for an interview means you are in with a good chance Molegrips.

Good luck!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Everyone gives it some B/S. I reckon if you know enough to get away with the B/S you know enough to do the job. Best of luck for the interview. Good to hear of someone getting some breaks in the job market at the moment.

molgrips
    Free Member

Loads of shortlistings, no interviews yet. Hoping that people are waiting for the new financial year….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sticking my neck out (jobless content)’ is closed to new replies.