Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sti triple left hand shifters – has anyone else had them break?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Like the title says, has anyone had problems with these? I’ve now had my third sti triple lever fail in the space of a year. The first was a 105, the last two have been Ultegra. Each time, there is a click and then the shifter no longer moves the cable. The current ones lasted only a few weeks. Is this a common problem or am I just jinxed? It’s a pain in the arse as it means my Fargo will be out of commission for a few weeks again. Garrrr! 🙁

scaredypants

I’ve heard of it before (actually put a thread on here asking if somebody had a broken one I could buy – no takers so presumably either rare events or warrantied OK)

As Oscar Wilde once said, “to break one Sti might be a misfortune; to break three sounds a bit like you might be giving them a hard time” – changing under heavy loads, maybe ?

AngusWells

No, my 2005 LH Ultegra tripple lever works just fine. I think I prefer the newer shape though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martymac

my mate has a shop, there is (according to him), a known issue with triple sti lh units if used with a seized or semi seized front mech.
    all the ones hes heard of have happened fairly quickly, and were replaced under warranty afaik.

pdw
    Free Member

Supposedly particularly bad on the 5600 105 when using a triple shifter on a double.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Older 105 (5603) were switchable between double and triple.Very quickly they all became single 😥
    Not heard about issues with ultegra.What generation were they?

geoffj

pdw – Member
    Supposedly particularly bad on the 5600 105 when using a triple shifter on a double.
    POSTED 39 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

This ^^ I had one go pop on me in Mallorca.
    They have more a tendency to fail if you use the wrong positions for a double 1 & 2 vs 2 & 3 – cant remember which is correct though 😕

Waderider
    Free Member

Not noticed that problem in the workshop Sanny. Seen broken triple STI shifters right enough, but only occasionally and not more often than any other sort of shifter.

It is possible to make an arse of threading new inner cables and get a symptom similar to what you describe. However, I type this with the awareness you are not that stupid!

Sanny
    Free Member

Current generation of Ultegra. Running with a triple and it all works fine right up to going pop. The mech was bought brand new to match. Hey ho!

Spin
    Free Member

Sanny- I’m still on my original one on the Dale and you know how much action that’s seen.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sti triple left hand shifters – has anyone else had them break?’ is closed to new replies.