Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stew recipes
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

Can I have your best stew recipe please

binners

Its a ‘stew’ of sorts, but with one of them poncey foreign names

Braised Beef Goulash with Smoked Pimenton

benefits immensely from being left to bubble away in a slow cooker all day

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye stew in a lsow cooker doe statse so much nicer for some reason

I dont mind what my stew is[ meat free though] tbh its the quality of the dumplings that matters tp me

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tonyd

We do a lovely one from one of Jamie Olivers books (it’s about 10 years old, can’t remember the name) and it’s PUCKER 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Stew? Very simple. Throw everything in especially bones and no recipe required but do add whatever spice, salt, etc.

Yes, you may fried the onion, garlic etc as you like before the water goes in then let it slow cook …

Then the magic ingredient: MSG <- nothing can beat this. 😆

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I like the sound of the Delia one, off to the shop

Klunk
    Free Member

veg and meat and balsamic vinegar serve with mash potato.

woody2000
    sunnrider
    Free Member

If you can make your own beef stock (bones,veg,wine etc) then it´ll beat any recipe.

Personally I love a good Beef and Guiness stew with mashed spuds, spring onions topped with sharp cheddar.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

binbins recommended a delia 😆

atlaz
    Free Member

There was a slow cooker thread a week ago with loads of suggestions in it if you search

bigG
    Free Member

Toss your meat chunks in seasoned flour, brown your meat in a hot le creuset casserole, remove once all the pieces are chestnut coloured. Fry off two large sliced onions and two cloves of garlic until they are soft, toss meat back in, along with a whole bottle of red wine, some bay leaves, a good grind of pepper, and some mixed herbs, maybe a pink peppercorn or two (if I have them).

Add some boiling water to cover and bring to the simmer, put it in the oven for three hours at 170c, then add small potatoes cut in halves and some carrots sliced. Leave in the over for another hour.

Remove, serve with home made bread to soak up the juices.

If you want you can add a dozen skinned shallots instead of the sliced onion, they cook into small sweet bundles of tasty onionness that explode in your mouth.

You can also add mushrooms if you have any laying around in the fridge.

It’s not fancy, and it’s a bodge together of a number of half forgotten recipes but it is bloody tasty.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

^^ Obviously not a gangster^^

While collaborating on the original screenplay, Coppola wrote “Clemenza browns some sausage.”

Puzo noted in the margin, “Clemenza fries some sausage. –(Gangsters don’t brown).”

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Toss your meat chunks in seasoned flour, brown your meat in a hot le creuset casserole, remove once all the pieces are chestnut coloured. Fry off two large sliced onions and two cloves of garlic until they are soft, toss meat back in, along with a whole bottle of red wine, some bay leaves, a good grind of pepper, and some mixed herbs, maybe a pink peppercorn or two (if I have them).

Add some boiling water to cover and bring to the simmer, put it in the oven for three hours at 170c, then add small potatoes cut in halves and some carrots sliced. Leave in the over for another hour.

Remove, serve with home made bread to soak up the juices.

If you want you can add a dozen skinned shallots instead of the sliced onion, they cook into small sweet bundles of tasty onionness that explode in your mouth.

You can also add mushrooms if you have any laying around in the fridge.

It’s not fancy, and it’s a bodge together of a number of half forgotten recipes but it is bloody tasty.
    It’s not fancy? Obviously, because only non-fancy recipes specify the make of pots and pans to be used. And obviously, only home made bread in non-fancy recipes

fry some meat
    fry some other stuff
    cover with liquid
    add some herby/spicey stuff
    bubble for a while
    use whatever pans you have lying about, no need to dash out to John Lewis to meet the exacting pot criteria of today’s rough and ready lifestyle

bigG
    Free Member

Sorry if the detail upset your gritty working class sensibilities I was merely trying to explain the typem or style of casserole dish to use. Without using a brand name how do you explain what it is?

On the home made bread, why not? You could try using Sunblest but I doubt it would work as well.

crikey
    Free Member

Hurrah!

Simple recipe request descends into Class War in a few posts. STW FTW.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stew recipes’ is closed to new replies.