Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Steve Peat Syndicate – Whats that all about then, Discuss
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Is it likely to be a competitive team? Can it attract the right caliber of riders?……………….

docrobster
    Free Member

Been going a while bringing in youngsters. Several at the steel city dh for instance

alexxx
    Free Member

Are you talking about the buy on team? It’s just keen amateur racers who pay X amount for a bike and get support for the year and some instruction / structure to train with.

I can see why certain people do it but it’s not for me.

null

docrobster
    Free Member

Indeed…

Can I get a place on the team without having to pay for my bike/package?
    SPS is a buy in team. The cost of the package covers all aspects of the program including the bike and providing the training and technical support.

“Sponsorship” that you have to pay for…
    Similar exists in other sorts I’m sure. My 15 yr old plays hockey and on hearing a couple of his mates were “sponsored” by an Australian kit manufacturer he applied by email. Lo and behold he is now also sponsored which means that he wants me to buy him a £250 hockey stick for £150 plus £30 shipping.
    More a marketing strategy than a sponsorship package. I’m sure sir peaty brings more value than that but…

Locoboy
    Free Member

Ah right so it’s not a UCI WC team then?

alexxx
    Free Member

No it’s a UK team for what I’d say is to promote grass roots racing.. there are some older riders who have good times and good attitudes who I guess like that kinda team thing.. however it’s a fair old cost year on year so you’d have to be pretty keen for it.

northerntom
    Free Member

I know a lad wo was on it and judging by his results, certainly wasn’t being held accountable for them.

Basically, I think anyone can join if they throw money at it. I like Steve Peat, and what he’s done for mtb in the Uk (and world) cannot be underestimated. However, am getting slightly sick of hsi retirement plans. I don’t blame him at all, I would cash in on my name if I could, but doesn’t stop it being annoying.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I think if you can commit to race a full season then it’s good value as for the £6k or whatever annual fee, you get a £6k bike and then the support of a good team for the season, at races and for training.

The same system is very popular in motorsport so no reason that shouldn’t translate to bike racing,

Unsure why anyone would be bothered by it, joining is purely optional!

km79
    Free Member

I can’t see that they charge enough to make any money out if it so I don’t think it’s been run for that purpose.

Northwind

As long as it’s being run right- ie people are clear about what they’re going to get, and get what they paid for- then I don’t see the issue. It’s the sort of thing that can easily go bad but it needn’t do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Steve Peat Syndicate – Whats that all about then, Discuss’ is closed to new replies.