Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Stereotypical Radio6 listener- is there?
  • hora
    Free Member

Is there a type?

How describe?

A 90’s Uni student brought up on Indie?

chiefgrooveguru

Radcliffe & Maconie established that they’re mostly listened to by graphic designers from Brighton.

hora
    Free Member

Thats not me!

MSP

A 90’s Uni student brought up on Indie commercial guitar pop made by middle class art school graduates masquerading as working class heroes.

Music snobs, coffee snobs, car snobs, insular idiots who think snob is a badge of honour.

Houns

What MSP said

donks
    Free Member

People that like good music.
    Listened to dj hype last night and he played some cracking reggae.

binners

I believe it’s recently been revised to include painter and decorators as well as graphic designers.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

People who aren’t old enough for radio 2, too old for daytime radio 1 and can’t stand commercial radio…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

People who aren’t old enough for radio 2, too old for daytime radio 1 and can’t stand commercial radio…

Perfectly put!.

cheers_drive

90s uni student, tick
    Not old enough for radio 2, too old for daytime radio 1 and can’t stand commercial radio, tick
    It’s far from perfect but better than anything else that’s out there by a long way.

hora
    Free Member

+1

Radio1 XFM etc are hideous. For the hatez radio6 plays alot of old stuff/back catalogue.

Plus stuff like shonen knife which has been around for ages yet Ive only just noticed. Great guitar work from japanese girls. Is that snobbery?!

To me it simply sounds good. Bbc1 is almost ‘must play same new song 8 times a day. Is that good?!

grum
    Free Member

A 90’s Uni student brought up on Indie commercial guitar pop made by middle class art school graduates masquerading as working class heroes.

Music snobs, coffee snobs, car snobs, insular idiots who think snob is a badge of honour.

Luckily there’s no snobbery on display here.

olddog

80s University student – brought up on punk, new wave and ska

But also likes pretty much anything so just as likely to be listening to Soul and Funk show as indie or punk stuff.

phatstanley
    Free Member

making bread by hand on a a sunday morning with imported nepalese light brown/sorghum blended flour that was grown and ground by young buddhist monks while listening to cerys matthews’ show just feels…..right.

brakes
    Free Member

it’s too varied to have a stereotypical listener.
    I like some stuff on there but other stuff is rubbish – like Cerys and her shite poetry.

gogg
    Free Member

PrinceJohn hit the nail on the head.

And Cerys is lovely!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_GCwRA8vHU[/video]

kjcc25
    Free Member

According to Yougov if you are a Nick Cave fan you probably listen to 6 Music.

I like Nick Cave, and I think Cerys is great. I’m too old for Radio 1, old enough for Radio 2 but can’t stand Steve Wright so listen to 6 Music.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wekkend Radio 6 is like listening to another radip station IMHO

Love her music and her accent but her show is shit

olddog

I liked the Birthday Party when I were a lad – but Nick Cave on his own is a bit arch for me

CountZero

A 90’s Uni student brought up on Indie?

Yeah?
    60yo working-class bloke, brought up on the Light Programme, listening to Nancy Whisky singing Freight Train, the Beatles, just about every 60’s pop band, Jethro Tull, Simon & Garfunkel, King Crimson, Prog, punk, heavy rock, metal, folk, country, indy…
    6Music pretty much describes my entire music history over the last forty/fifty years, and it keeps Shazam occupied tagging several new songs every day that are either yet to be released, or I’ve never heard before.
    Which I suppose makes me a music snob, according to some.

And Cerys is lovely!

She is indeed; me on stage with Cerys, on percussion:
    [/url] image by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

jam-bo

They played pearl jam on radio 2 earlier. I find that deeply depressing.

codybrennan
    Free Member

They had Kate Tempest doing a slot on Gilles Peterson’s show earlier, and I found myself thinking: how urban.

molgrips
    Free Member

My main problem with R6 is too much bloody talking. I don’t put the radio on to hear in depth interviews with some oh so trendy niche band about how their first album was put together over my breakfast. Just play some frigging music! Is it too much to ask to get music on the radio?

And the other problem I have with radio in general is the miserable lack of choice. I want themed radio stations, so that I can choose what to listen to to match my mood. The only themes available are pop, classic rock, oldies and bloody musollectual.

XFM was brilliant, and I seriously miss it. I bought loads of albums based on what they were playing. They repeated songs, but this was good because a) they were good and b) I got to know the songs so I could follow bands and releases. Even if I hear a good song on R6 I never hear it again so I’ve forgotten who it was and I never end up buying it.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I thought it stopped at 4. 😯

maccruiskeen

Even if I hear a good song on R6 I never hear it again so I’ve forgotten who it was and I never end up buying it.

The bbc Playlister makes finding what was on as easy as you could possibly hope. R6 is much more catholic in the range it plays now. Back when they were on shakey ground and there was a threat the channel would be pulled one of the criticisms was that their play list was too repetitive. Listening to a programme was fine, having the radio on all day was a chore. Being a channel for ‘new music’ meant you could only play as much music as was actually ‘new’. A benefit of the way they’ve shaken the channel up is theres lots of opportunity to hear music thats new-to-your-ears rather than simply newly released.

philbert31
    Free Member

Its the first time ive listened to Cerys, ithink its been a decent show with some cracking Jazz. I’ll be listening again!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Stereotypical Radio6 listener- is there?’ is closed to new replies.