Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Stereo boffs- What all-in-one highly quality CD playing unit/stereo?
  • hora
    Free Member

A sort of Posh Denon UD-M30? Already have speakers.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Don't, just don't.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

have a look in curry's / comet etc as they sometimes have decent stuff reduced as the speakers have been nicked

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hairychested has it.

Go sh separates.

woody2000

What sort of speakers have you got?

something like this maybe:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,solo.htm

montylikesbeer

I wouldn't but you may have space issues, have a look at this

Denon DM37 clicky

hora
    Free Member

Ok WORSE case Cd player and seperate amp. I dont even know what 'radio' means etc.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I dont even know what 'radio' means etc.

it's like a wireless but not made of wood…

hora
    Free Member

Ok, (this is embarrising). I bought my Denon from Selfridges in circa 2000/2001. Speakers? (Gulp) pair of MS Avant 902 and a pair of old MS5's. 🙄

Space isnt an issue- I like SMALL 🙂

(Sheesh this almost feels like admitting your gay or like wierd sex)

woody2000

Or 2nd hand 120Gb ipod running rockbox, decent ipod dock and rip all your CDs using FLAC. Sorted!

stumpy01

Mate of mine had a Denon Micro system thing with some Mission speakers and it sounded pretty good.

Just make sure you stick some green pen on your cds before you play them (make sure they are fresh out of the freezer) and don't forget the squash balls under the whole thing (cut them in half first)…..phew, I've just averted an audiophile disaster. Do I win £5?

Can I admit that the only stereos in our house are Sony Micro systems and I feel terribly guilty about it!

hora
    Free Member

Can I admit that the only stereos in our house are Sony Micro systems and I feel terribly guilty about it!

So Im not the only one! It'd be like turning upto an uplift day in tracksuit bottoms on a Apollo saying 'eh up!'

Edit: http://www.mordauntshort.com/summary.php?PID=47 Oh dear. Do I need some fancy new speakers as well? (prefer small as possible as well) 🙂

montylikesbeer

Speaker cables from twin and earth, speaker stands balanced on pin heads, egg boxes glued to the inside of the room walls and ceiling………….

If you like it go for it I say

hora
    Free Member

This is a good deal if it was say £450 for both?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-ot-cyrus-stereo#post-650754

RichPenny
    Free Member

Blatant plug, but:

Naim Uniti, if you're feeling very flush 😉

CD, DAB, FM, Ipod Dock, Internet Radio and UPNP streaming over WIFI, so you can pull stuff from your PC.

More importantly, it sounds amazing 😀

Plug over…

GJP
    Free Member

RichPenny – I was mightily impressed with my demo of the Naim Uniti albeit through a pair of £3000 speakers to replace my aging Naim set-up – although a hefty price tag of £2k.

epicsteve
    Free Member

That Naim thing is nice but I'll stick with my CD3.5/32.5/SNAPS2/IXO/2×140 for now.

nbt

Linn Classik

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I've got the Denon DM37 hooked up to some Tannoy F1 Custom speakers – surprisingly good! USB and MP3 connctions – dedicated iPod docking unit available. I think Superfi are doing a deal on 'em ATM.
    FWIW I've got an ARCAM Alpha 6+ amp available, in vgc, for £50 😉

Del

i have a linn classik. i love it, quite literally. other option ( of the time ) was the arcam solo IIRC.
    it's been back for repair once ( TADTS ), but i still love it. runs a pair of B&W speakers on stands.

edit: had mine for ten years – it rocks.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Marantz M-CR502. Available with and without DAB and going for a steal, new, with warranty on eBay. I can recommend.

myheadsashed

Have a look at the Meridian F80……………..

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I bought an Onkyo CR515 DAB and it came with Q Accoustics 1010 speakers. Great little system for the price. Really good sound from those little speakers, and surprisingly deep too. More than happy with it. Look in WhatHIFI for the Denon / Onkyo / TEAC mini systems and I'm sure there will be something there that ticks all your boxes.

The whole "gotta be seperates as they sound better" still gets me. Usually churned out by the older guys who've spent a small fortune on cabling and interconects and insulation platforms. ;o)

theotherjonv

I have one of the little Denons and it sounds just fine through a pair of Monitor speakers.

Most of my music is so shit it deserves no better.

wait4me

+1 on Linn Classik. Small and neat enough that the Mrs barely notices it. Fantastic range, especially good if you like 'lively'. Not cheap, paid about 1k for mine 7-8 years ago, but of all the things i've spent money on nothing has given such value.

Whatever you buy make sure you demo it first, preferably with the speakers you are gonna use. Any good hi-fi shop should be able to arrange this. You won't believe the difference between systems. Mind you it'll sound completely different when it's set up at home!

Del

+1 on the demo. i listened at a shop, and no amount of playing around with speaker position could get the damn thing to sound right. had to keep turning up the bass. assitant asked what i was listeing to, and i showed him the bunch of cds i'd brought along. 'ah – the sound quality of those won't be any good sir'. 'well that's what i'll be playing at home, so if it sounds 5hit, i won't be buying it mate' i said. snooty tw4t. anyway he produced some different speakers ( which were probably no good at all to his ears ) and it came alive.

tegski
    Free Member

Talking with a friend that is into serious valve amps etc – he said that the Apple Mini with digital output was getting rave reviews – and its compact!

Jolsa

Was looking at getting the Marantz CR502 DAB myself, but then came across the Logitech Squeezebox in AVforums and am having a rethink…

gonetothehills
    Free Member

If you don't need DAB, Joisa, get the non DAB version (I got mine off eBay and saved a small fortune – think it was from Cosmic Electricals – free delivery). If you do need DAB, site it under your telly and use one of the phono inputs to take the DAB off your digital TV feed. I jest not – I think mine came in at about £200 less than the DAB version, and I still have DAB if I want it.

I changed a rather nice separates set up for the Marantz (keeping the superb B&W speakers) and it does the job very well, plus we have the best part of a square metre of lounge regained as a result of there being no massive hifi in there, and that equalled major brownie points with my good lady too.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Primare CD10i

Been around a while these have, but really rather nice. Larger than you would imagine and it exudes quality like no japanese tatt can (apart from perhaps the most opulent high end stuff which you very rarely see in this country nowadays)

marsdenman
    Free Member

DM37 and a pair of 1010i for £280…
    Bought mine from them, no problems.
    A set-up that is very well though of, if you believe reviews, and hardly a bank breaker compared to some…

RichPenny
    Free Member

The whole "gotta be seperates as they sound better" still gets me.

To be fair, it is true though. There are a few advantages to a 1 box system that I can think of besides it taking up less space. You're only paying once for the casework, and signal paths can be shorter between certain areas. Not knocking it at all ( I can't as we make one lol) because it's what lots of people want. You just have to work a lot harder to make it sound right, and some things are dictated by physics.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Stereo boffs- What all-in-one highly quality CD playing unit/stereo?’ is closed to new replies.