Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • Stephen Fry lets rip at The Mail..
  • jkomo

Stephen Fry, I love him nearly as much as I hate the Daily Mail.

kennyp
    Free Member

The Daily Mail is generally a squalid little rag, I think many people agree. However I don’t have time either for the likes of Fry and his own particular brand of intolerance. The intolerance that refuses to allow another people and culture to have a different set of moral values to his own.

He seems very much in favour of free speech as long as you agree with his point of view. If you don’t then action should be taken against you.

Oh, and before you accuse me of siding with the Mail, or being anti gay, I’m not. I couldn’t give two hoots what someone’s sexuality is. However I’m more in favour of freedom of speech and accept that other people, and countries, see things differently to us.

mightymule
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

I usually have a lot of time for Stephen Fry. I like the chap.

Now, I have a LOT MORE time for him. Well done Mr F.

And, as aside, THAT’S how to rant, STW take note!

Plus 1. Times one million!

passiflora86
    Free Member

@Kennyp

-See what you mean but I don’t think Mr Fry was being ‘intolerant’ in this case. He’s defending himself. It’s fair enough – DM asked for it when they dragged his name in.

kennyp
    Free Member

I agree. In his defence of himself against the Mail he’s quite justified, although I do think the journalist made a perfectly fair point when he said that Frys comparison of the situation in Russia to that of the murder of millions of Jews was quite offensive.

I was more having a dig at the section of society that preaches tolerance, respect for all people and freedom of speech. And who them lambast anyone who takes a differing stand to theirs as indulging in hate speech and who should be banned, by law, from having those opinions.

And again, to make my own feelings on the matter known (in case anyone thinks I agree with the Mail), in fact I disagree with the Russian laws, but I respect their right to hold their own moral values. As for Stephen Fry, I thnk he’s brilliantly witty and clever, and love much of what he has done as a writer and performer. It’s just this “I refuse to accept other people’s point of view” attitude I find distasteful.

CountZero

I don’t understand why anyone is giving this letter any time at all. If it had come from any of us it would not have made news. So why is it deemed news when it’s written by someone who has been on the telly? What makes his opinion any more valid, right, or wrong, then anyone else’s?

It clearly doesn’t. What it does do is bring to public attention a subject that would probably take dozens of individuals to get the same attention.
    This is why organisations look for celebrity endorsement, particularly charities.
    Simple, when you think about it, innit…

budgierider67

Excellent. Nearly as good as his speech on the value of the Catholic Church.

andyfb78
    Free Member

Stephen Fry……

You have moved even further up in my opinion.

You are brilliant. I’m glad to have someone so eloquent, intelligent and informed put into words the things I feel but am not clever enough to express myself.

The scary thing about the daily hate is that it is read by ‘normal people’ not just idiots who can be dismissed, and they vote, and they vastly outnumber those who have considered balanced opinons.

looking at the ‘celebrity’ pics, the hateful headlines are subtly absorbed into their heads without question and they form opinion based on the ‘facts’ in ‘the paper’.

My gran actually told me once in all seriousness that the water shortage and hose pipe ban that summer was because the indians drank all the water….
    This seems mad, but it is not that far removed from a typical daily hate storyline…

Thank you Mr Fry.

mt
    Free Member

I like it as a paper and it serves a usful purpose.

It reminds me I have not turned into my dad…………………yet.

project
    Free Member

My aunt has lived in spain for a long time. She speaks to my mum regulalry, but my mum start getting worried about her. Everytime they spoke on the phone my mum said she was asking how my mum was coping with the place being over run by imigrants, cancer rates soaring, the NHS crumbling, swans being shot by feral youth on mini motos with airguns etc.

Thats what you get when you vot for the con -servatives and read the daily hate filled mail

mefty
    Free Member

What a sanctimonious right on prat Stephen Fry is – he gets involved in the political fray and then crys foul when someone disagrees with him and it becomes a “personal vendetta” – bless. Going back to his original point why should a load of poorly paid tray sliders and curlers give up their once on a lifetime chance in the limelight to promote his cause? Why shouldn’t he look to the arts rather than sport for support – or would that involve people he knows losing out?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What a sanctimonious right on prat Stephen Fry is

He just does it so well.

Do you like the Daily Mail then?

mefty
    Free Member

I admire it as a business as it is pretty successful and much to my embarrassment I am occasionally drawn into the right hand column of shame on its website, but otherwise pretty ambivalent. Like most of us it has moments it can be proud of and others that should embarrass it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Like most of us it has moments it can be proud of

Any links to those?

others that should embarrass it.

No need for any examples of those. There are plenty every day. (Though, its MO is not to be embarrassed at being exposed for lying over and over and over and over and over again.)

mefty
    Free Member

I think you will find it was pretty much universally lauded for its campaigning for justice in the Stephen Lawrence case.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well bully for the Daily Mail for going out on a limb and telling us something we all knew.

Any more?

mefty
    Free Member

It risked contempt of court naming the murderers – not many papers do that – there are no doubt others but I dont read it every day.

dannyh
    Free Member

The thing about Fry is that he is manifestly a very intelligent and cogent man. He is not infallible, but he does not claim to either. I have heard him utter “religion, shit it all” then go on about all the wars that have been fought and people killed as a result. I could easily argue against this with the observation that we have no way of knowing what a world without religion would be like. Also, seeing as most religions do impose a certain amount of moral restraint on their adherents, you could argue that, on the whole, they have saved more lives than they have taken.

In this instance Fry was, in my reading, trying to criticise religion for imposing constraints on free thought. He had a valid point, but weakened it by going off on a mini rant.

There you go. Even if you admire someone for their intellect, you should still be objective.

Starkey versus Fry would be a good watch. I would want Fry to win, but that is irrelevant. It should be down to whose argument held water the better.

The Mail, on the other hand, would blatantly back Starkey to the hilt irrespective. Because they would already have their (small) minds made up. That is the point. Don’t substitute dogma for thinking.

Also consider that media personalities are generally gratified by attention. So we ought to deduce that sometimes they may be saying things at a particular time because they know it will get them talked about. Starkey waded in after the 2011 riots with some observations that were incredibly badly timed, or well timed if you want to cause ructions. He left these comment open-ended deliberately, but his intent was to stimulate a cause and effect connection to be made in the minds of his audience. This was arch manipulation.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It risked contempt of court naming the murderers – not many papers do that – there are no doubt others but I dont read it every day.

It said something that everybody knew to sensationalise a case and flog rags. They knew that those they named were never going to sue for libel.

So anyway, just the one then. Fairy nuff.

MSP

It risked screwing up the trial. There are reasons why such actions are held to be contemptible.

…the systematic incineration of six million Jews in industrial ovens bears no comparison with the marginalisation and repression of minorities in Putin’s Russia…

…Frys comparison of the situation in Russia to that of the murder of millions of Jews was quite offensive…

No matter how eloquently the point is made, some people are just not going to get it are they ?

To simplify it;
    Fry is comparing Putin now with Hitler in the early ’30s.
    With no significant international disapproval, the situation in Russia could potentially progress the same way over the next few years.

crankboy
    Free Member

Any one who takes the daily mails attack on Fry comparing Putin to Hitler is historically illiterate. The point is Hitler did not come to power with ready made death camps and a police state . It was built up over time because he was not challenged by international powers but was appeased and supported, the Berlin Olympics may have shown the world a black man could run fast but they did not sway Nazi ideology from it’s path and helped Hitler promote himself and his government at home and abroad.

I’m not sure that standing up for the right of a significant number of your fellow humans not to be imprisoned for no reason and subjected to state sanctioned torture and murder can be described as a personal cause.

hh45
    Free Member

It was a good rant but I don’t agree with Fry over the Olympics in Russia. A bit too precious for his own good I think.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Fry is a performer/actor and always seeking attention…. hmmmm 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A bit like the last two contributors to the thread.

scuzz
    Free Member

I’m not sure that standing up for the right of a significant number of your fellow humans not to be imprisoned for no reason and subjected to state sanctioned torture and murder can be described as a personal cause.

Wait, he ranted about America?!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

At least you’re learning to spell bloodynora. We can tackle your bigotry next. And then, we can start on your racism. I fear that may be deeply ingrained though. 😐

enfht
    Free Member

Go deadlydarcy Go!

You sock it to ’em. What a guy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s an honour to have two of STW’s most contemptible members on my case this evening enfht. You go too guy. I’ll look forward to hearing when you have something constructive to say. Although, when you last tried to engage, it didn’t go well for you.

project
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Russia

Just like uk plc a few years ago, in the thatcher era and before,clause 28 and all that shitt.

ononeorange

Hopefully we can have bob sponge brain on this thread too

Junkyard
    Free Member

no he just starts threads and then leaves once he gets inevitably pwned. These two keep going despite the pwning

mt
    Free Member

now then deadlyfarcy you could teach fry a thing or two. Insulting a guy on his spelling, nice. Sorry I missed that, someone disagrees with you so insulting them is your recourse, quality engagement on your part.

So that you understand I’m no fan of the mail I think all know it all bullies are gits.

bigblackshed

Puts the kettle on. Biscuit anyone?

Jamie
    Free Member

Biscuit anyone?

Got any Oreos?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

now then deadlyfarcy…

blah blah blah…

I think all know it all bullies are gits.

Just for your benefit mt, there is a context to my spelling comment. I couldn’t bear you thinking I’m a know-it-all bully or a git for that matter, and as the forum search function is a bit of a faff to use, if you need to find it, have a look-see. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Insulting a guy on his spelling

It looks more like he sarcastically praised someone who used a racist term – granted a weak one so he could defend its use* – to get a rise

What is the appropriate response to someone being racist towards you?

FWIW he has never insulted my spelling and I give him loads of opportunities

* I think we can take it as a given that it was not used as a warm term of endearment [ because the dictionary says it is a disparaging term for a person of Irish birth] or banter between friends- clearly they are not friends.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s an honour to have two of STW’s most contemptible members on my case this evening

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*Waits for ernie to sort that picture link.*

EDIT: Doggone too late. 🙂

athgray
    Free Member

What about all the good work done by the Fail to uncover the truth about the death of Diana? Oh wait it wasn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Stephen Fry lets rip at The Mail..’ is closed to new replies.