Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)
  • Stephen Fry lets rip at The Mail..
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member
    jekkyl

Deep down they have always had the same instinct for the lowest, most mean-spirited, hypocritical, spiteful and philistine elements of our island nation

*claps*

geetee1972
    Free Member

Now THAT is how you rant!

zokes
    Free Member

Golly!

Madfly
    Free Member

Nicely finished…

His cancer scare, miracle cure stories are sickeningly anti-science and the only good thing to be said about his Mail is that no one decent or educated believes in it.

tomhoward

Well, I know whose side i’m on…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s awesome. 😀

richmtb

Personally I thought this was the highlight

Dacre is, all those who have had the misfortune to work for him assure me, just about as loathsome, self-regarding, morally putrid, vengeful and disgusting a man as it possible to be.

binners

Stephen – you really need to get off the fence and tell us what you really think 😀

kimbers

I ? Stephen Fry

edlong
    Free Member

I’m not the greatest Stephen Fry fan in the world, but he has just risen significantly in my estimation.

Bazz

He manages to put into words my feelings better than I ever could, bravo that man 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

😀

noteeth
    Free Member

Good on him. Hope it sends Dacre nuts.

fasthaggis

10/10 rant 🙂

“He absolutely despises me and thinks I stand for everything that is wrong about Britain and I think exactly the same of him.”

zippykona

National Treasure.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I usually have a lot of time for Stephen Fry. I like the chap.

Now, I have a LOT MORE time for him. Well done Mr F.

And, as aside, THAT’S how to rant, STW take note! 🙂

z1ppy

Nice, any way of getting behind him on this one?
    One of those government e-petition, asking for the daily wail to be banned in favour of an occasional fry newletter perhaps?

ononeorange

Any more prize snippets? I am at work so can’t watch.

“Deep down they have always had the same instinct for the lowest, most mean-spirited, hypocritical, spiteful and philistine elements of our island nation” – a bit harsh, seeing as the Mail was the UK paper that supported Hitler for the longest I believe in the 1930s….oh yeah!

sparksmcguff

What was it Julie what’s her name said of Stephen Fry? I’m with edlong on this one. Together with his recent comments on Russia’s persecution of gays he seems to be really getting his oar stuck in of late.

Klunk
    Free Member
    Frankenstein
    Free Member

Fry is spot on!

Daily Fail is read by idiots who can’t think for themselves and are full of prejudice 🙂

CountZero

I put up a thread several days ago that got ignored, possibly because people didn’t notice the winky at the end, but it had a link to this:

Hated By The Daily Mail Badge – Officedog
    http://www.officedog.co.uk/7734.product.html

fervouredimage
    Free Member

An enjoyable rant, makes me feel justified in my intense hatred for the Mail.

DezB
    Free Member

Is it a Daily Mail link?

Nobby

Well said Mr Fry.

dannyh
    Free Member

A suitably Fry-esque word would be ‘splendid’.

The Mail is such an odious and crushingly obvious little comic that I struggle to believe anyone actually takes it seriously. But apparently some people do!

The majority of its readership probably just use it as some sort of confirmatory crutch for their odious little minded views. A sort of anti-think. I had a senior manager once who was a confirmed mail-ite. She was typical of the genre. A ‘self starter’ who made up for her obvious lack of real intelligence with bullying tactics. A sort of ‘head down charger’ who believed that a grinding and relentless approach could achieve anything.

These character traits are admirable as part of a rounded personality that also includes wit, intelligence and self-deprecation. But employed alone they typify the mail-ite.

Anyway, as long as the normal-minded among us would only ever countenance buying the Mail if we’d run out of bog roll, the we’ll be fine. I’d even think twice about eating chips out of it, I like a bit of vinegar, but the bitter essence that would come oozing out of the paper would make my eyes water!

fazzini

Outstanding!

D0NK

nice rant mr F and a worthy target
    chuckles[quote]Is it a Daily Mail link? [/quote]no

noteeth
    Free Member

only ever countenance buying the Mail if we’d run out of bog roll

I wouldn’t even do that.

ononeorange

Thanks for the link. Heart-warming and reminds me that there are famous decent people about.

DezB
    Free Member

That’s actually quite marvelous.

racefaceec90

freddyg
    Free Member

I bought it once….

MrsG was in labour at the time. While she was having a nap, I wandered to the hospital shop to find a paper; it was the only thing they had. What a hate-filled, vile production full of twists of the truth and down-right lies. Their “Journalists” should hang their heads in shame that they prostitute themselves for this.

Mr Fry; chapeau!

dannyh
    Free Member

I liked the bit about putting up an imaginary coconut then knocking it over to win a prize.

Genius.

wrecker
    Free Member

My parents in law are well balanced, normal people. Not racist or small minded at all. I was dumbstruck when I saw that they buy the mail and asked them why; “the telly pages are good” 😀
    My wife is very liberal (bit of a plastic hippie yoga type), yet I catch her ogling the mail online celeb pages all the time!

They just won’t stop!

DezB
    Free Member

I just read the Mail column. I don’t see it’s point at all. A call to ban all art from Russia? Idiot.

It’s just meaningless!

I don’t want to dwell on Fry’s association of the 2014 Sochi winter games with the 1936 Olympiad in Berlin: the systematic incineration of six million Jews in industrial ovens bears no comparison with the marginalisation and repression of minorities in Putin’s Russia, as shocking and deplorable as their ‘beatings, murders and humiliations’ undoubtedly are. I am more puzzled that an actor of the intelligence and calibre of Stephen Fry missed a golden opportunity to highlight the fact that Hitler persecuted gays as well. The pink triangle was nowhere near as prevalent as the Jewish Star, but at least 100,000 gays were targeted for torture or castration by the Nazis, and somewhere between 5,000 and 15,000 are estimated to have perished horribly in the death camps. So why they didn’t get a mention in this letter is a little mystifying

joshbosh12
    Free Member

An enjoyable rant, makes me feel justified in my intense hatred for the Mail.

I felt the same way. I find it quite hard to answer the question of “Why?” when I tell someone who’s reading the DM that i find it disgusting… Now i know they supported Hitler, i’ll just go with that. I don’t fancy saying something along the lines of

The majority of its readership probably just use it as some sort of confirmatory crutch for their odious little minded views

40mpg

I’d even think twice about eating chips out of it, I like a bit of vinegar, but the bitter essence that would come oozing out of the paper would make my eyes water!

Well done Sir! Worthy of the great Fry himself!

cheers_drive

My small claim is that my art tutor at college (Norfolk College Of Arts And Technology not Cambridge)had taught Stephen Fry (several years before me). All she said about him is that whilst he was there he was done for credit card fraud.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Stephen Fry lets rip at The Mail..’ is closed to new replies.