Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Stem/steerer recommendations
  • phutureproof
    Free Member

I am going to be picking up an XL Blur classic in the next few days as I am building up a bike from scratch. The head tube, including headset on the frame is 162mm (does this sound about right for a 2004 blur?).

I am on the search (not particularly intensively) for a set of second hand forks, and I need to know what the minimum length steerer I would need is to fit the frame and a suitable stem, and, what make/model stem could that be. Obviously there will be more choice of second hand forks if I can accommodate cut steerers, but what is a realistic minimum length to be aiming for?

(I did have a -now stolen – XL nomad with uncut pace forks – I hate the idea of cutting steerers)

ltheisinger
    Free Member

This is a rough guess as it will vary depending on forks and stem, but allowing for crown race etc. and then a stem you gotta be looking at a steerer of at least 200mm-205mm??

STATO
    Free Member

Typical headset = 30mm which you have accounted for, typical stem needs about 30mm (some less, some more). Add 5mm for flexibility and you get ? 197mm. So anything around that will do you.

EDIT: out of interest i looked up the info for a thomson X4, the min insert on that is 37mm, so youd need a 199mm steerer for that.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Many thanks guys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Stem/steerer recommendations’ is closed to new replies.