Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stems… length, brand and colour?
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m after a shorter stem, to first of all have a better riding position and also make the handling a touch quicker. I’ve measured the current one and it’s 90mm. Should I go down to 70mm or 60mm?

Which colour to match the colour scheme on my Fury with some blue bits already on there, white or blue or would either of those look a bit ghey and I should just get black?

Brand, recommendations? I’ll obviously pay more for quality but not stupid sums of money.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

i’d recommend trying to borrow stems from buddies to try different lengths rather than ending up buying 3. Youll notice a 10mm difference so going from 90 to 60 would be a huge jump- you might like it or it might make the bike feel cramped and twitchy.

I reckon stem colour should match bars and seatpost. Thomson are still the benchmark and pop up on classifieds here every other day in a range of lengths for 35-40 quid and are usually mint. The On One CNC stems look nice and are light and cheap if youre not a brand snob, and if youve found a load of money down the back of the sofa the Easton Haven is gorgeous, like a Thomson with even nicer finishing.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Hope stems are quite nice, replaced my Thompson with one – and there are British…

PJM1974
    Free Member

I picked up a 65mm Straitline wedge for silly money last year. It’s an identical shade of blue to my Hope headset and is plenty stiff.

thepodge
    Free Member

superstar. loads of sizes, loads of colourd, loads of styles, not loads of cash

coogan
    Free Member

Black and Thomson – and they are American. Just so you know. Seem’s an obsession on here if British…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Given two products of equal quality and function – why would you not choose to buy something from your home country?

I prefer my Hope stem to my Thompson, much less of a lump on the front on my bike.

coogan
    Free Member

I’ll buy what I want. Didn’t like Hope ones, loved the Thomson ones. Simple really.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

so why the stupid comment about obsessing over buying British? What justification have you got for thinking that?

coogan
    Free Member

It British made. Good for them. Doesn’t mean we all HAVE to buy it being British. It gets mentioned everytime a British product is brought up when we all know it’s a British brand. Whoopee-de-do.

Leku
    Free Member
    getonyourbike
    Free Member

I think I’ve worked out what I’m going to do. I’m going to get some new wider bars, something like 740mm as I can cut them down if I need to. I’ll also get a couple of cheapo stems off the bay in 60mm and 70mm and see which I prefer. I’ll then get a decent stem in the correct length

angryratio
    Free Member

what sort of fury is it… ?
    If its a mountain cycle.. i’m running an 80mm on a medium frame. and it seems happiest with low rise 710 bars for me.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Carrera Fury current stock in medium. I’ll get something that suits me, or I shohuld after this playing around

andyl
    Free Member

Superstar Zephir with a choice of coloured faceplates?

keavo
    Free Member

truvative stylo are going cheap at wiggle right now.

tops5
    Free Member

Ragley stubbing stem here (60mm in black)

Nice and compact with low stack hieght pretty cheap, comes in colours

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I think I’m pretty set on what to put on now. Nuke Proof Warhead 760mm Riser Bars and an On One Ultralight CNC Stem in whatever length I find best.

Should be good as the bike is used for quite a bit of downhill and other shenanigans.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Just an update. In the end I got some Sunline VOne OS 745mm Wide Bars with a 19mm Rise in Blue. The stem is an Superstar Zephir 70mm with a Blue faceplate. I’ve just chopped the bars down to 720mm so I can fit through more trees, I’ll see how it goes tomorrow now. I like the bars at 745mm but I kept getting stuck so the hacksaw was necessary.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Currently using a Thomson elite on both bikes. OS and 70mm long.

Last post

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk/php/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stems… length, brand and colour?’ is closed to new replies.