Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stem spacers.
  • colournoise

How many of you permanently run spacers ABOVE your stem? Why?

Pics would be cool.

slainte ❓ rob

RealMan
    Free Member

It’s meant to be safer, as it gives more steerer for the stem to clamp too, so I think makes it less likely for the stem to slip, or the steerer to fail.

However it’s not really worth too much thought, unless perhaps you’re running a super light carbon steerer on a bike that takes quite a bit of abuse. I’ve got some spacers above some of my stems, but mostly out of laziness.

Looks so much more boss without spacers though.

honourablegeorge

I use one of these (the smaler one), as I wanted to keep a little length on the steerer for a future frame.

nealglover
    Free Member

I do as I don’t really see the point of cutting the steerer tube as it looks fine.
    Have a Cateye Micro mounted on the stem and the slightly raised spacers stop it getting knocked off the mount.

mjsmke

I have 10mm ontop of a sunline xc-one stem. The stem has a very low stack height and the frame has a small head tube so i’d rather not cut down the fork steerer in case i change the stem or frame before the forks.

andyl
    Free Member

i’ve got 10mm as I don’t want to cut my steerer any shorter but have the bars right where I want them.

5mm looks okay, 10mm looks a bit daft but the set up being right is more important than looks.

chiefgrooveguru

I think I have about 30mm of spacers above. I guess it’s fractionally heavier but it means I haven’t had to cut down the steerer which has saved some effort and means the forks will fit more frames in the future.

robhughes
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru +1.
    I,m sure i,ll change the frame before the forks so why cut down the steerer.If i do cut it sods law says they won,t fit the new frame. 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stem spacers.’ is closed to new replies.