Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stem Spacers…
  • Kryton57

Is there a defacto guide for how many/how much gap between the bottom of the stem an the headset?

I’m thinking of having 15/20mm on my new build with a 1 inch rise bar and 6 degree rise stem, for no other reason that it looks right :-/

druidh
    Free Member

As many or as few as you need to get the bars to the right height.

Kryton57

And the right height is…?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

I don’t know. I’m not you.

Sit in front of your monitor on the bike and I’ll give you an opinion.

Kryton57

Lol. I’ve never calculatde Stem height for an MTB just gone on gut feel.

Any calculators (albeit I’m probably being a bit anal about it) out there?

druidh
    Free Member

Nope. Build it. Ride it. Adjust it.

When complete, cut down any excess steerer.

Sorted.

cp

As druid, completely personal preference. Varies depending on so many things, just some of being stem raise, bar raise, head tube length, internal or external headset, arm length, torso length, seat height, how flexible you are, how you like the bike to respond etc…….

Put some on, ride it, adjust it, ride it, adjust more…

No other way I’m afraid

legend
    Free Member

Nope. Build it. Ride it. Adjust it.

this^ some will want a nose down-arse up riding position, others will want the exact opposite. It’s purely personal preference

hilldodger
    Free Member

About 20mm (more like 50mm+ if it’s an On One) gives you scope to adjust by moving spacers above/below stem.
    Worth leaving a bit of “spare” steerer in case you want to swap the forks to another frame which may not have the same length headtube …

trail_rat
    Free Member

But if you have a carbon steerer their is a max limit .

pitduck
    Free Member

(Build it. Ride it. Adjust it.)As above 😀

RustySpanner

Kryton57 – Member

Is there a defacto guide for how many/how much gap between the bottom of the stem an the headset?

No, none at all.

Using saddle, bars & grips that I’m happy with already, I usually make sure seat height & fore/aft position is spot on first and that the stem length is giving about the right reach.

Then I tend to go for a few long rides to see how my weight is distributed – if my arse hurts, I take spacers out. If my wrists hurt, I add another one.

All a bit trial and error, but usually end up getting the balance about right.

Not very scientific, but it works for me 🙂

Kryton57

Oh trust me the fork / bike build won’t change (I’m building an ego ti with Sid – the frame was a 40th birthday present).

I’ll go with the fit/ride/adjust option as usual. I usually leave 5/10mm on to of the stem just in case.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stem Spacers…’ is closed to new replies.