Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stem help please
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

At the moment i am running a 50mm stem – the lads i ride with reckon its too low, it does feel a little arse up head down but if i run it higher the front end wanders.

Would fitting a stem 20mm longer help? Thinking longer = higher as more weight over the front?

bol

I think that might be the answer to the wandering front, but will change the handling a bit too. Personally, on most bikes 50mm is too short for me for similar reasons.

this_wreckage
    Free Member

Would’ve thought a longer stem would just stretch you out making the arse up more pronounced?? Steering would certainly be more stable though, less twitchy perhaps, which might mean you can get away with running the stem higher, or a riser stem to get the front end up higher.

tk46hal
    Free Member

A longer stem will only stretch you more, but 50mm does sound a little short. Try a 70mm with a 10 degrees rise!

hambl90
    Free Member

Try a 70 or 80 depending on your riding style with a bit more rise than what you’ve got now, that will keep the front down , you could even try a riser bar to give a more head up position.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I have a riser bar already – thats a given!!

Thinking a longer stem run a touch higher will put more weight over the front on climbs and stop the “going over the bars feel”

racing_ralph
    Free Member

just bought a cheap 80mm 6 degree rise stem to try
    £13 may prove to be a bargain 🙂

hambl90
    Free Member

Are you using a zero degree stem at the moment?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Think so yes. Pro frs 50mm

racing_ralph
    Free Member
    ltheisinger
    Free Member

I had same feeling on 50mm 0 Degree Rise stem and went to a 70mm 10 degree rise – job done! (for me anyway!)

hambl90
    Free Member

Beat me to it , a quick search shows 5 deg, I would go for a ten or 12 rise to feel a difference

RagTi
    Free Member

Ralph,
    Consider some maximum rise 765mm Nuke Proof bars !, this will give you loads of play by spinning the bars to suit, NP also do a lovely 65mm stem to suit. This is what i run, pulls you into the bike but the extra width also gives you loads of stability.
    Kev

racing_ralph
    Free Member

any more thoughts? how do i know the stem height/bar height is correct? is it comfort only or some hard/fast rule?

takisawa2

Just gone from 90mm to a 70mm on my 29er. Has made a positive difference. Bike feels better in technical stuff. Shame the 70mm Thomson Elites only come in zero rise though, would have liked a 15deg. Cant stand too much weight on the bars.

chiefgrooveguru

Surely you can usually add or remove spacers to change handlebar height, rather than changing the stem angle?

Scamper
    Free Member

Ive just gone from a 90 riser stem to a 50 flat stem and don’t feel as if there is too much weight over the front. Actually feel as if the weight is naturally further back on techy downhill bits too with better balance.

Northwind

racing_ralph – Member

“any more thoughts? how do i know the stem height/bar height is correct? is it comfort only or some hard/fast rule? “

IMO there’s no right answer, it’s all personal taste and style. I’ve ended up with a range of cheap stems in the garage, I can make an educated guess what’ll work but I still get surprised.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

grrrr – i hate trial and error!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stem help please’ is closed to new replies.