Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stem – Handlebar Shims
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I ahve a 28.6mm bar, can't find many (or any decent) 28.6mm stems and have a 31.8mm stem, but can't find a suitable shim. Does anyone know where I can get a shim? Or any other cunning solutions?

Cheers

Ewan
    Free Member

Never heard of the shim for your bars. Just think of the consequences if it slipped on a descent… get a new bar!

tinsy
    Free Member

DMR wingbars come with a shim to fit 28.6 as they are slimmer than STD so I cant see shimming being a problem, but where to get shims for normal bars in oversize stems I dont know, maybe ring DMR see if they make one.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought 28.6mm bar size was motorbike size? Doubt you'll get a stem shim for that. Are non o/s bars not 25.4mm?

tinsy
    Free Member

i ammend my post to DMR wingbars are shimmed to fit 25.4 stems!!!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

No they're not motorbike handlebars. 28.6 was oversize from a few years ago. I have two Tioga Cube stems that are 28.6mm, with shims down to 25.4mm, but the Tioga Cube is too tall for the length of steerer I'm using. It's a big lump of metal!

I've used the shims on a 25.4mm bar for years with no problems, never slipped, never rotated in a crash, so I don't think I need any sensationalist think of the children type nonesene, thanks though.

I can tell you that a spiral of redbull cans doesn't work though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stem – Handlebar Shims’ is closed to new replies.