Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stem faceplate bolts, and other bolts.
  • nickewen
    Free Member

I’m partway through a build and some of the bolts from my parts graveyard are looking a little ropey, especially the stem faceplate ones.

Does anyone have any advice on the best place to get cheap bolts from? Should I just pop to the local bolts store on the industrial unit or should I order something mtb specific online? I just want to do it cheaply and safely.

I have some other bolts, washers and shims that need replacing on calipers etc. too but it’s the stem that I always worry about, as it’s one of things I’d hate to fail the most on my bike….

Any advice would be warmly received. Cheers

RealMan
    Free Member

Actually interested if there’s any better answers, but you could try the classifieds.

chives
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after, but if you’re looking for stainless capscrews try Anglia Stainless. Not sure whether they’re ‘cheaper’ than anywhere else – depends how long you want to spend on google etc. vs. going out riding. 🙂

schnor
    Free Member

No need to get MTB specific parts, and as its just a few you need you’re better off going to a hardware store as online places like here charge around £3 for postage.

Go in with your old one (m5 * 15 or whatever), just so you know you’re getting the right one. Make sure to get steel BTW, no point getting soft alloy bolts that round easily. Loctite / copper slip / good grease and away you go 🙂

Or get a list of all the bolts / nuts / etc you need then go online

vorlich
    Free Member

This may be a bit leftfield, but: Halfords?

andyl
    Free Member

tbh I find ebay the best place to get bolts these days as you can buy what you need in reasonable quantities for cheap. Can’t remember the store I use but they are cheap and come next day.

I would look for some high tensile 8.8 for the faceplate. You can get away with stainless. Look for a number like 8.8 or 10.9 on the ends of the current bolts.

clubby

Boltbase store on eBay. They do packs of 10 (+1 free) in MTB sizes. Free delivery too, usually come next day.

andyl
    Free Member

It’s Boltmeup I use I think for stainless stuff.

nwgiles

Google pro bolt. They ti bolts and even do pretty colours

Northwind

I bought an immense bag of M5, 6 and 8 nuts bolts and washers about 5 years ago, I don’t think I’ll ever run out… Didn’t cost much but did need a titanic investment in sorting.

Some people might be quite wary of the spec of bolts they choose for pushbike parts. I wouldn’t personally, I’m generally unfussed about such things but I’m not going to claim to be right, it’s your face as they say.

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for all of the information everyone, much appreciated. Plenty to be Googling on my tea break tomorrow!

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

we have a great local bolt shop. Do most of my bike bolt shopping there. Take the old ones in and the find what I need.

takisawa2

Heaven forbid…you LBS… 🙂

nickewen
    Free Member

Hmmm…. The local bike shop – outside the box – I like it! However the one I used for years shut recently and I never really bothered finding a new one but now I have a reason to find one!

cooie

I’ll send you some ss faceplate bolts for postage , I’ve got loads! 🙂

What size do you need?

Ian

Mail in profile

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks ian! I shall find out as soon as i’m back in th hoos. cheers!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stem faceplate bolts, and other bolts.’ is closed to new replies.