Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Steerer too short
  • MarkiMark
    Free Member

Advice needed.
    I have sold a frame and bought a replacement. The old frame had a short head tube so the steerer was cut fairly short (170mm). This is too short for the new frame by about 10 to 15mm.

I am happy to sell/swap the fork, and have advertised it here. If someone buys it then great, but I’m preparing myself for the possibility that nobody wants it. Is there a safe way of extending the steerer by 15mm?

I have contacted BBB about their extender, but they will only state that it is not recommended for use on ‘mountain bikes’.

Any help gratefully received.

Mark

wwaswas

only other option is a crank bros headset and short stack stem.

people on here have had extensions welded onto their steerers with internal ‘sleeves’ but it’s not a compromise most would make.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’m sure something could be done with some carbon Fibre and some spoons!

greeble
    Free Member

what frame is it? and what headset/stem combo are you running

tonyd

Not sure I’d trust one of those extenders on anything that goes off road.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

Greeble, it is a Canyon frame with 130mm head tube and semi-integral headset taking up about an extra 12mm, leaving just 28mm for the stem clamp. Actually the stem will need a little overlap to have something to pressure against for tightening, call it 30mm clamp needed. Any idea if such a stem exists. I’ve no idea at the moment what length stem I need but guessing around 70mm, and most low stack stems seem to be 40/50mm.

Shackleton

The old spank spike stem had a very low stack height. 25mm IIRC. You may be able to find one with some serious web hunting.

You could also try the expanding wedge style stems (crank bros, thomson, etc) as they pinch in the middle rather than at the top.

chief9000
    Free Member

A friend of mine once cut off his steerer too short on a new set of forks. He took the two pieces of fork steerer and finished the ends so that the mating faces were almost perfect. Then he took a sleeve with slightly thicker wall thickness, that could almost fit inside the original steerer, but not quite. The next step was to heat the two pieces of original steerer and put the smaller sleeve in some dry ice. The pieces were then assembled. The fork is still working 5 years later.

Murray

@chief9000 – sounds like fitting F-111 wing pivot pins!

weeksy

Search button.

There was a 22mm stack stem advertised just a few days ago.

I have a ragley stubbing that’s 30mm

andyl
    Free Member

You could take the top cap off the headset and put the split ring directly under the stem. Might have to clean out your bearings a bit more often but might give you a few more mm.

Not 150mm travel, 15mm bolt through forks by any chance are they? 😉

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve got a Spank Spike in Black & Chrome if you’re interested – 35mm length so it wouldn’t be very helpful if you’d be doing a lot of climbing.

takisawa2

The Sunnline stem has a low stack height.

Does the top of the steerer sit below the centerline of the upper stem clamp bolt ?
    If so it’s risky, but if not then I’d pop a bit of steerer in the top & get one of the Amoeba headlocks. I’ve run steerers shorter than that & never had a problem.

chief9000
    Free Member

@chief9000 – sounds like fitting F-111 wing pivot pins!

At least we know its reliable then 😉

taka
    Free Member

i had a set of talas’s welded with another pice of steerer they were as strong as hell

mobes
    Free Member

I got round a similar problem using a crank brothers direct set instead of a ‘normal’ ahead set.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

DMR defy stems are 30mm stack height. just sorted my same problem with one 🙂

zippykona

Windwave have put new steerers on my marzocchis a few times. Not sure how zocchi steerers differ to others but its worth an ask.
    I think a steel steerer was £40 and alu £80.
    Ps they weren’t ye olds fashioned bolt in steerers before anyone asks. They were a bloody good idea though.

svalgis
    Free Member

Rockshox has replaced the steerer on my 2013 Reba as well so yeah, definitely possible. Maybe not something any random LBS will do though?

fungusfinger
    Free Member

I have a ragley stubbing in red on the classified new condition, gimme a mail if your interesred

neiloxford
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTREME-MTB-BIKE-STEM-EXTREME-BIKE-STEM-31-8mm-Handlebar-System-/330935477276?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4d0d4aa41c

This is a Stem made by Tioga with a 30mm stack height for no money for an OS handlebar 🙂

Its the halfords branded version of a Tioga Task Force Y Stem. The packaging even says made by Tioga. this the branded version http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11372

gonzy
    Free Member

i use a raceface diabolus D2 stem on my bike….has a 35mm stack height…CRC are selling them for around £70

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Steerer too short’ is closed to new replies.