Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Steerer long enough? (Be gentle)
  • ryderredman
    Free Member

Im looking for advice as to whether the steerer on my pikes is going to be long enough for a 456SS frame.

I managed to find out that the HT is 105mm on the SS. My steerer on the pikes is 158 (I hope!)mm.

Now I know next to nothing about headsets apart from the fact that my current frame, STP, has a zerostack one. The stem wont be an issue as I already have a Funn Serial MX which is takes up 24mm.

Can anyone recommend me a headset thats going to allow me to run my pikes? Or will just about anything be enough?

passtherizla
    Free Member

steerer on my pikes is 185mm and i have about 30mm spacers so it might be ok with no spacers/10mm spacer or less, my Summer season is traditional external cups, dunno if they take anything else.

garage-dweller

There are probably still some low stack headsets around. Used to be more common in the days of slammed stems. You will probably want to seek out something with shallow cups. I suspect a google search would probably turn up some options.

M part headsets are out – massive stack height on the last one i had.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

Crank Brothers headsets are very low stack, will save 19mm or so, but get the stainless steel version, the cups on cheaper versions rust like crazy

JoeG
    Free Member

Look at the stack height of your stem as well. There are a couple that can save you a good bit of steerer tube. Check out the Ragley Stubbing and On-One Ultralight CNC stems.

ryderredman
    Free Member

thanks for all the advice guys, with the tiny little stem I’m quite confident that it’ll fit! Might call on-one even though its not exactly like they’ll be making any money out of me buying one of their frames second hand!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Steerer long enough? (Be gentle)’ is closed to new replies.