Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Steerer lengths… geometry… stack heights? HELP!
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Looking at changing my forks to something a little bigger. I’ve got some fox 32 @ 150mm, and looking to change to some fox 36 @ 160mm.

Now I’ve found some, but the steerer is 20mm shorter than the one on my fox 32, but I’ve got 1x20mm and 1x5mm spacer, so it would definitely fit in, even simply by taking out the 20mm spacer, but I’m trying to work out how it’s going to screw with my ride (if at all…)

Some figures that are ‘approx’ correct.
    Fox 32, 150mm, axle-crown: 521mm
    Fox 36, 160mm, axle-crown: 545mm

In my head, that equates to my front end being about 24mm higher, but given that the stem is 20mm shorter, it’d mean that effectively, my bars would be near-enough in the same place with the stem just closer to the headset. Am I correct in this thinking (it’s still early and before coffee…), and how could that potentially affect how the bike will feel/handle? Will it even make a big difference?

Hope that all made sense!

nickjb
    Free Member

It’ll slacken the head angle slightly so it should be little more relaxed. Marginally better down and worse up but in reality unnoticeable. The riding position will change very little. What are you hoping to gain from the change as there won’t be much difference?

thepodge
    Free Member
    chiefgrooveguru

If you take 20mm of spacers out then your bars will end up at the same height because the 36 is a bit over 20mm longer A-C and you’ll probably be running a few mm more sag. Near as makes no difference! The longer A-C length will slacken your bike by about 1 degree, slightly shorten your reach, slightly lengthen your ETT and raise your BB by about 6mm.

What’s the bike?

thepodge
    Free Member

Without adjusting the stem / spacers gives you:
    1.19 slacker HA
    8.6 longer WB
    3.7 Longer ETT
    8.8 Higher BB
    12.5 Shorter Reach
    7.9 Higher Stack

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Bike is a 2011 yeti 575, I just find I’m pushing it a bit more these days, entered a race or two this year on it and want to stiffen up that front end a little. The gain in travel isn’t as important as less twist and flex at the front.

Long story short I was planning on changing next summer to something a little more ‘E-word’ but it looks like this bike will be with me for a little while longer so want something that’s going to last the distance in more races next year.

The higher BB isn’t ideal but I’m not going completely hell for leather on the decents so high-speed stability isn’t as important to me as handling on steeper/rockier decents (a slacker HA would be a bit of a treat!)

mbqwerty
    Free Member

How did I not find this website! That’s a keeper!

thepodge
    Free Member

Obviously they are all static values.

Adjusting for sag makes a difference too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Steerer lengths… geometry… stack heights? HELP!’ is closed to new replies.